Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mint can be a super sexy card  (Read 1817 times)

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
Mint can be a super sexy card
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:01:46 pm »

The board: Crossroads, Embassy, Fishing Village, Forge, Horse Traders, Lookout, Masquerade, Mint, Trading Post, and Warehouse

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/13/game-20130113-195514-a840194c.html

I open fishing village / masq, seeing engine potential, when I'm hit with a beautiful 5 copper turn 3. What else to do but buy a mint? My fishing village would have given me the money even if my opponent didn't pass me a copper, and I speed off to an astounding 4 provinces by turn 11. I had to pass him a gold once :(, but it all ended well.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Mint can be a super sexy card
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:43:52 am »
+3

Mint can be such a swingy card.  Sometimes you get that beautiful CCCCC hand on turn 3, other times you keep hitting CCCSE until your fourth reshuffle.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 02:26:10 pm »

Yup, it's one of those cards that can be incredibly luck based. playing a fishing village goons game and I randomly moated into a 6 copper hand with Mint on the board.  From that point it was easy to 3 pile moat/FV estates playing 2-3 goons a turn.

It gets really exacerbated in Platinum games. Trash 5+ copper, then start cloning your platinum, and it's over.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 02:25:23 am »
+1

Not only platinum, but also with fool's gold.  Opening Mint/Fool's Gold is huge.

But the 5/2 vs. 3/4 randomness doesn't bother me much.  I know it's random, but it's upfront and done with.  I don't play for ranking, so I just approach such a game as one where I started at a handicap and ought to have fun trying to make do.  I don't feel like the game is waste.  Much worse is when there is beautiful support for lining about a nice Minting hand, and you chase it for a dozen turns before it pays off -- those games are full of regrets, even if later analysis suggests that it was wise to have gone for Mint over, say, opening Forager. In fact, these game are much worse in my mind than ones where your opponent lucks out with Mint.

I think what irks people about swinginess re: Mint, Treasure Map, or Tournament is that sometimes you'll build towards that ideal hand, but all the planning in the world fails you, while your opponent just stumbles upon it by chance.

Now, people sometimes complain about the noob who buys Treasure Map T2 and T3 and gets his pairing on T5 without any supporting cards.  But at least that player took the risk of buying the Treasure Maps.  With Mint, you may have no intention of chasing it, but then you draw CCCCC, or CCCC-Smithy into CCCCCCC.  OK, I've never actually witnessed the latter, but my point is that Mint swinginess is often a deus ex machina on a board where no reasonable player would have intentionally pursued it.

But ultimately, the irking doesn't bother me much.  I'm fine with some swinginess.  Like Donald has said, a bit of randomness lets you relax.  I don't want to be wondering if my opponent if already planning out the next 5 turns while I'm only looking ahead 3 turns.  I like the attitude of crafting some grand strategy, keep a bag of tactics in mind for executing the strategy, and weighing the risk at each decision.
Well you *do* need a signature...

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 05:36:48 am »
+1

I've just played a fun Mint game. Baker allowed me to open Mint/Silver (unfortunately trashing 4 Coppers, not 5), turn 8 I got my first Platinum and from then on it snowballed. I ended the game turn 19 with the following deck:
3 Baker, 3 Mint
8 Platinum, 4 Silver, 1 Copper
5 Colony, 3 Estate, 1 Duchy

Unfortunately my opponent didn't use Mint as much as me and Platinum didn't run out. Log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130724/log.50893139a2e67cff211cd7e5.1374658141801.txt

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 07:50:42 pm »

I'm not so sure that the extra mints helped all that much in that game. I think they would be better used as either bakers or death carts. Too many mints just gives terminal collision, and the added benefit of cloning platinums just doesn't help as much if you're trashing three silvers to do it. You bought those silvers for a reason man!

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 05:49:55 am »
+1

In a Colony game, once I have a bunch of Platinums, I am happy to trash my Silvers.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.338 seconds with 22 queries.