Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Automatch Extension  (Read 14296 times)

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
Re: Automatch Extension
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 08:56:24 am »

Is there anyway to get this up for Chrome?

michaeljb said he would work on it.  I've been waiting for it too...

You guys aren't missing much. Someone contradict me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anybody's gotten a match yet except in testing on the first day. Either there aren't many people using it yet, or the server isn't actually working right.

If people with Chrome start using it, it does make it more likely that the feature will work much better. Also, making this stickied could also help getting more people installing it.

Definitely. There's also a pretty huge difference between an automatch that's technically functional and one that transparently finds you a game. We're still some way off from the latter goal, mostly because there aren't that many people using it yet.

I think there are three main problems:
1. It isn't available for Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc. It's not even all that convenient to set up on Firefox.
2. It doesn't work on https, which goko uses by default unless you manually enter the address.
3. It's not integrated with michaeljb's primary user extension.

Also see the Automatch development thread for important features that I haven't implemented yet.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 09:47:42 am »
+4

Go to http://play.goko.com/Dominion/gameClient.html (https will not work)
Does anyone else think that the fact that this won't autoroute to https is a good sign that Goko either doesn't understand how web security works, or doesn't know how to configure a web server?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 02:43:46 am »
+5

Download for Chrome

It's a .crx file. To install it in Chrome, download the file, then double click it, and Chrome should give you a prompt about installing it. If that doesn't work, go to your extensions page and click-and-drag the file to the extension list.

Since this is not in the Chrome store, it won't auto-update. The plan is to integrate it with the main extension soon.

Automatch is now (theoretically) part of Goko Salvager.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:41:18 am by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 10:53:55 am »
+8

It's still pretty rough around the edges. I anticipate plenty of bugs. It's also totally at your own risk. I assume no responsibility for games you didn't really want to join or Goko canceling your account or whatever. Not that I anticipate that sort of stuff, but I'm just saying.

I wrote this warning in my initial release and some people mentioned that they'd hesitated to try automatch because of it. I've done a whole lot more development and testing since then and I'm much more confident in it now.

So please don't hesitate. The incarnation of Automatch in Goko Salvager 2.1+ is quite safe. It's using the Goko framework in a way that looks 100% normal to the server, and I haven't once seen it make an incorrect match.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 12:08:01 am »

So, I'm requesting an automatch at +/-3000 and it's been saying "looking for a match..." for a while now. I guess that means it's working but nobody else is looking for a match? Would be nice if it printed something about the number of people currently using automatch, or something of that nature.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 12:10:19 am »

So, I'm requesting an automatch at +/-3000 and it's been saying "looking for a match..." for a while now. I guess that means it's working but nobody else is looking for a match? Would be nice if it printed something about the number of people currently using automatch, or something of that nature.

I was thinking the same thing...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 12:13:45 am »
+1

I was thinking the same thing...

Yeah. There don't seem to be a whole lot of people looking for matches, or maybe some of the seeks aren't getting processed right. Check the status here:

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/automatch_testserver.html

It's not super-detailed. You can get more information on the matches by opening up the JS console (use "inspect element"). I may eventually incorporate this sort of info into the UI.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:15:50 am by ragingduckd »

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 01:02:16 am »
+4

I'm happy to report having been matched with Slyfox & then Mic Qsenoch not long after posting in this thread. Very nice! The user experience is really good, especially for a fan-made extension.

Somebody posted this feature request in some other thread already, but a beep when a match is made would be handy.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 01:15:17 am »
+4

Actually while posting feature requests, it would be awesome for the automatch status info to show in the same place the log shows once you're playing a game.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2013, 07:21:34 pm »
+2

Can you add a beep, or some sound like the extension does when you find an automatch?  I'm usually in another browser, while i'm waiting to find someone, so having that would be nice.  Also, this is awesome :).

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2013, 05:23:39 am »

uses 2Mbits/s
Not a problem, it is probably intentional.
I'm just letting you know in case you don't know it so that it don't drain your upload if multiple users start using it as you link to it.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2013, 05:40:10 am »

uses 2Mbits/s
Not a problem, it is probably intentional.
I'm just letting you know in case you don't know it so that it don't drain your upload if multiple users start using it as you link to it.

Nope, not intentional at all. Thanks for the heads up.

I wrote it for local testing and then provided the link without thinking it through. I imagine it's all but unusable from the typical home connection.

I think the problem is:
1. It's sending full updates instead of incremental ones
2. It's sending updates on all messages, including pings.

I'll just stop sending updates on pings. That's an easy fix and I think it'll do the trick.

fprefect

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 07:59:20 am »

Hello... I am not sure if I completely get how this works... Does the extension automatically make the player with more sets the host? I do not own any sets... so do I have a chance to get matched at all?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 04:31:24 pm »

So is this working now? I still have a grayed-out play button in Firefox and I'm not sure if that's to be expected or not. I've checked a few threads and I'm unclear, sorry of this is an obvious question.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 04:37:27 pm »
+2

It's working for me.
Have you made sure you have the latest version of Dominion Salvager?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 11:48:35 am »
+1

OK, does anyone else experience long wait times between accepting an automatch and having the other player accept?  I'm wondering if it's people being away from their computers, or lag in the system.  Sometimes it seems to be instantaneous, other times I've started another game after 3 minutes of waiting on an accepted automatch.

Part of the reason, I think, that automatch doesn't have a critical mass is that the very people who would be early adopters of it also are most likely to find matches the normal way, i.e. through having all the cards and a middling or higher rating.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 01:55:35 pm »

OK, does anyone else experience long wait times between accepting an automatch and having the other player accept?  I'm wondering if it's people being away from their computers, or lag in the system.  Sometimes it seems to be instantaneous, other times I've started another game after 3 minutes of waiting on an accepted automatch.

Part of the reason, I think, that automatch doesn't have a critical mass is that the very people who would be early adopters of it also are most likely to find matches the normal way, i.e. through having all the cards and a middling or higher rating.

I've had the problem before. I think there needs to be a timeout for automatch, maybe a minute or so, then start looking for another opponent.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 01:58:02 pm »

I don't remember how long Iso's automatch timeout was, but it was certainly less than a minute.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 02:30:25 pm »

That might have been me. I usually start automatch and then switch to another tab and check back occasionally. A notification sound and a flashing tab like on iso would help more than a time-out i think.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 03:04:59 pm »

That might have been me. I usually start automatch and then switch to another tab and check back occasionally. A notification sound and a flashing tab like on iso would help more than a time-out i think.

Agreed, the notification sound should help. The code for that works and it'll be in the next release (probably this weekend).

For now, if you think your proposed opponent is AWOL, click "abort" and re-submit your seek request. We may want an explicit timeout too, but I'm inclined to hold off on that for now, since matches are so few and far between.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 06:25:04 pm »

There's actually a popup that opens the game tab when your opponent declines the automatch. Could you do the same when an automatch is found?

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2013, 09:12:20 pm »
+1

I've had the problem before. I think there needs to be a timeout for automatch, maybe a minute or so, then start looking for another opponent.

In Isotropic you would wait for the timeout if it seemed like the opponent was awol, because if you said no yourself you'd often just get the same automatch again.

Even better would be if automatch kept looking for games until you actually are starting a game, so you could have several proposals at the same time. If one opponent is slow in answering, just take another game instead. If someone wants to wait to see if something better comes along, let them. Often they'll get neither game when people accept other offers instead.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.988 seconds with 20 queries.