Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Not sure if good luck or good judgement (Soothsayer+Warehouse)  (Read 1081 times)

awildnoobappeared

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130719/log.516d07bbe4b082c74d7a90a7.1374244366301.txt

I choose Cutpurse/Silver as my opener as I feel that I definitely want Soothsayer over Sea Hag here. My opponent manages to get Soothsayer turn 1 and then purchases Embargo - something which makes me panic and purchase Sea Hag after all, as of course I don't want to get locked out of the curses even more than I already am.

Looking back at turn 3/4 I look quite lucky, my Cutpurse stops him from purchasing another Warehouse and his Embargo/Soothsayer collide, and I'm not sure that playing the Soothsayer was the right move from him. Warehouse is pretty clearly a key card here with Soothsayer. Later on he embargos Smugglers (which didn't make much difference for anyone)

We end up splitting the curses evenly, and the game ends up piling out on Curses, Warehouses and Duchies, with me one point ahead.

What I'm not sure of is how much of this game was luck vs. judgement - he had first use of cursers, more warehouses, less dead cards... does anyone have any feedback?

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure if good luck or good judgement (Soothsayer+Warehouse)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:48:48 am »

I like the Cutpurse/Silver opening, I would consider Cutpurse/Warehouse even, but I think its too vulnerable to the Cutpurse attack.  Warehouse like diversity in your deck and large hand size, the best 5 out of 8 cars is much better than the best 4 out of 7 (if you get Soothsayer attacked).  The Gold from Soothsayer is also great with Warehouse.

I would not have bought a Sea Hag on T3.  Even though he has an Embargo, it doesn't hurt you that much.  If he gets Embargo on Soothsayer before you buy one, you can still buy one.  The curse you get from that is similar to one bad shuffle where your Curser misses the shuffle and your opponents doesn't.  Even so you can consider a Sea Hag on turn 4 if you get unlucky and end up with 4 coins, but I think you could go either way with it. 

T6 I would probably grab a Warehouse since you already have 2 terminals, you don't really need a third, especially when Warehouse is going to give you fast cycling.  I think you want a second Soothsayer since the Gold and Cursing are good, but its harder to justify as your 4th terminal action, so another reason to skip the second Cutpurse.  From there you saw the game ending and rushed points very well, the only thing I'd change is T16 I'd get a Warehouse; you have 6 Gold in your deck at this point, you really just need to increase your chances of finding it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.047 seconds with 22 queries.