Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Surprise cards and monolithic strategies  (Read 14788 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Surprise cards and monolithic strategies
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 08:39:52 pm »
+7

Do I want a Fourth Estate?

Probably not, they've sucked for at least the last thirty years, and to some extent for much longer than that.  Sure, I'd like one that actually held the government's feet to the fire and asked tough questions, but...

...oh, that's not what you meant.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 11:46:31 pm »
+2

My problem with Rebuild isn't that it wouldn't allow decisions or optimizations. My problem, personally, is that i don't want to be forced to build a strategy around a certain card as soon as it is on the board. Sure, most cards will be included in a board's best strategy sometimes. But it can't be that some cards are always included in it. I don't draw 10 kingdom cards to decide which of them supports Rebuild best. I draw 10 to decide which combination of any of them i'll try. Rebuild kills what makes Dominion awesome for me.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 12:46:14 am »

My problem with Rebuild isn't that it wouldn't allow decisions or optimizations. My problem, personally, is that i don't want to be forced to build a strategy around a certain card as soon as it is on the board. Sure, most cards will be included in a board's best strategy sometimes. But it can't be that some cards are always included in it. I don't draw 10 kingdom cards to decide which of them supports Rebuild best. I draw 10 to decide which combination of any of them i'll try. Rebuild kills what makes Dominion awesome for me.

Well, you can savour those boards where Rebuild actually isn't the winner.  NV-Bridge, MS-Madman.  Maybe certain boards with Colonies.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 02:34:27 am »

Hunting Party/Possession should beat Rebuild pretty squarely, Possession in general is a pretty good counter as it turns your opponent's Rebuilds into +1 Action, gain a Province. Rebuild is still not enough for me to ignore Ambassador, and I think Poor House can sometimes be fast enough - I've had at least one game-ending Poor House megaturn on T11.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:39:29 am by Warfreak2 »
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 11:24:35 am »
+3

Hunting Party/Possession should beat Rebuild pretty squarely, Possession in general is a pretty good counter as it turns your opponent's Rebuilds into +1 Action, gain a Province. Rebuild is still not enough for me to ignore Ambassador, and I think Poor House can sometimes be fast enough - I've had at least one game-ending Poor House megaturn on T11.

A quick multi-Possession deck should do really well against Rebuild, since it gains Provinces for no penalty. The problem is that "quick multi-Possession deck" isn't usually a thing.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 12:56:27 pm »
+1

I think single Possession should be enough, if you can play it every turn - you get twice as much out of each Rebuild play compared to them, plus whatever VP you buy on your own turns. I proposed Hunting Party/Possession because a Hunting Party stack can buy a Potion, buy a Possession the next turn, and then play the Possession every turn from then on; Stables is pretty good too, I can see that working.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 04:02:27 pm »

But how many points will the Rebuild player have taken off the board by the time you have Possession and a good HP stack?

And that's not a rhetorical question.  I can see that strat working.  But I do wonder if even that is fast enough.  I think it would be in a Shelters game, but with Estates, I don't know.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 05:30:50 pm »
+1

But how many points will the Rebuild player have taken off the board by the time you have Possession and a good HP stack?

And that's not a rhetorical question.  I can see that strat working.  But I do wonder if even that is fast enough.  I think it would be in a Shelters game, but with Estates, I don't know.

It's strong in a Colony game, where you have extra time and each possessed Rebuild gets you 6-11 VP. In a Province game, even with Shelters, I'd need to see a lot of support for Possession in the kingdom. I wouldn't even consider it if Rebuild has Warehouse or Scavenger or similar to help it.

Compare possessing a Rebuild player to possessing some other player. You're playing most of your Possessions T10 or later. So possessing a generic non-Rebuild deck is worth, eh... something a little less than a Province on average. On the other hand, Possessing a Rebuild deck is worth maybe a little more than a Province. And there's some extra value in the fact that the Rebuild player can't defend by over-greening.

Hand-wavily, I'd estimate that Possession against Rebuild might be as much as 50% better than Possession against some other deck. It's definitely not twice as good. On the other hand, Rebuild is going to change a 16-turn game into a 12-turn game, which cuts the Possession-playing opportunities in half or worse.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 08:59:52 pm »

In a Colony game, Rebuild is weak against pretty much everything.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 10:28:00 pm »
+8

I was looking at a kingdom, and the first thing I noticed was Rats.  I was seeing if there was support for it, and noticed the Develop.  Develop a Rats and get a Silver and a $5 Action, not bad.  And there were five $5 Actions as well.  I was wondering if it would work well, and started looking at the $5 Actions.

Rebuild.

Well, I guess I'll have to try Rats/Develop another day.  My opponent went for it however.  (I still won though.  It's Rebuild.)
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 10:37:16 pm »

I would like to agree, but I have played Colony games where Rebuild still dominates.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 12:06:20 am »

lol

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 06:00:04 am »

In my experience, in Colony games, you just want like 4-6 Rebuilds instead of the two you get for Province games and continue to dominate just like before. Of course, in a Colony game, there's more time to set up a slow mega turn deck that will probably beat Rebuild, but Rebuild is still decent.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2013, 06:53:31 am »
+1

"I'll scout you to death with those Colonies, Rebuild!"

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2013, 08:58:33 am »
+2

I was looking at a kingdom, and the first thing I noticed was Rats.  I was seeing if there was support for it, and noticed the Develop.  Develop a Rats and get a Silver and a $5 Action, not bad.  And there were five $5 Actions as well.  I was wondering if it would work well, and started looking at the $5 Actions.

Rebuild.

Well, I guess I'll have to try Rats/Develop another day.  My opponent went for it however.  (I still won though.  It's Rebuild.)

I cried a little.  :'(

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2013, 10:04:26 am »

I has an awesome PH-Chapel-WV game a few weeks ago. Damn that was unbelievably fast.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2013, 10:20:42 am »

Well, you can savour those boards where Rebuild actually isn't the winner.  NV-Bridge, MS-Madman.  Maybe certain boards with Colonies.

What is MS-Madman?

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2013, 10:24:08 am »

What is MS-Madman?
Market Square, Hermit(madman)

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2013, 10:26:59 am »

What is MS-Madman?

How does that work?  I wouldn't guess those cards to do anything special together... my experience with DA is limited though... I've only been playing it since Guilds.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2013, 10:31:44 am »
+5

How does that work?  I wouldn't guess those cards to do anything special together... my experience with DA is limited though... I've only been playing it since Guilds.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=6817.0

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2013, 02:33:23 pm »
+6

It's got to be the most spectacular combo in all of Dominion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2013, 06:33:27 pm »

Rebuild.

???
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2013, 06:42:24 pm »
+14

What is MS-Madman?

I always thought that was this guy.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2013, 07:30:20 pm »

It's got to be the most spectacular combo in all of Dominion.
NV-Bridge is not amused.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2013, 07:47:27 pm »
+1

Rebuild.

???

I was using a bit of hyperbole, but not sarcasm. Develop and Rats are two fun cards that could be fun together, but you had to play Rebuild because Rebuild is king. I think that's a sad story, or at least a bit of a downer. I sympathize.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 1.935 seconds with 20 queries.