Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Why has innovation.isotropic neither died nor blossomed?  (Read 34496 times)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Why has innovation.isotropic neither died nor blossomed?
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2014, 03:08:12 am »

Hopefully it will stay around for a while, if only to be able to troll Dominion related threads with side remarks like "after playing some games on Isotropic yesterday ...".
What do you mean?  Is isotropic going down or something?
It's been down for more than a year, haven't you heard?
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2014, 08:38:58 pm »

Hopefully it will stay around for a while, if only to be able to troll Dominion related threads with side remarks like "after playing some games on Isotropic yesterday ...".
What do you mean?  Is isotropic going down or something?
It's been down for more than a year, haven't you heard?

Hey, I just played some games on Isotropic yesterday!

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2014, 12:10:50 pm »
+3

Due to reading this thread i started learning innovation

qdread

• Thief
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2014, 11:47:13 am »

On my feel - there is alwayes someone but only for base  :( Sadly, to play with exps I have to wait for several minutes

The thing I don't understand is the 4 or 5 very highly rated players that will only play with the base set. They are really good at evaluating what to do in the narrow range of situations that occur in the base game. I don't really see how that can be fun in the long term for them.

qdread

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2014, 11:47:47 am »

Due to reading this thread i started learning innovation

Props! What is your username on there?

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2014, 05:54:06 pm »

Zappie ofc!

qdread

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2014, 08:19:31 am »

Zappie ofc!

Well I will be happy to play you if you are ever on there!

verbose

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2014, 06:06:41 am »

Does anybody know what happened to DYER (competing with ksasaki for the #1 position in the past weeks)? The username is gone from the leaderboard. As far as I know, you cannot delete / reset your user, can you? Or did they get banned? Do people get banned? What would even get you banned?

verbose

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2014, 06:20:53 am »

I recently dropped down a level after not playing for a couple of days. How does that work? I actually did read the paper on the TrueSkill ranking algorithm - from what I understand, you would have to play games to change your ranking? It kind of makes sense to include some sort of decay function to prevent high ranking players from just stopping to play, but I did not find a description of that.

Is the specific implementation that is used by isotropic available or documented somewhere? I would also like to understand how the first 150 games or so (while I was still learning) will keep affecting my level. Since I started understanding the game, I have gained levels rapidly, so recent games seem to be weighted more heavily.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2014, 07:43:06 am »

The username is gone from the leaderboard.

IIRC, players are hidden from the board if they spend a long time without playing any games. They're not actually erased, though, and will show up again as soon as they play another game.

It kind of makes sense to include some sort of decay function to prevent high ranking players from just stopping to play, but I did not find a description of that.

IIRC, that is exactly what Isotropic does (technically, your uncertainty increases every day and that's why your level appears to drop). It was mentioned in the FAQ for Dominion, and we may assume that Innovation does the same.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2014, 09:55:10 am »

It also, as others have said, doesn't have the same likability as Dominion...

Just found this thread.  I think the above statement is an almost complete answer to the original question.  I haven't played a lot of games of Inno, so I'm certainly no expert, but for me it is simply not a very likeable game.  There are multiple reasons for this, most of which have been discussed, but it had nothing that drew me in the way Dominion did immediately, nor did it provide me with any sort of "carrot" that made me willing to undertake the learning curve necessary to a) get better or b) enjoy it more.  I usually need one or the other to continue investing time in a given game.  Getting both is a bonus, but I'm competitive enough that "a" usually leads to "b".
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2015, 11:23:31 am »

Can I just say how funny it is, this is the most-read topic on the forum?

As for me, I think one main reason is there's still a lot of nostalgia for isotropic dominion. That keeps people coming back at a slow but relatively stable rate. Still, though, you're right - I'd expect it'd either die or thrive, and it did neither. Not that I'm complaining!

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2015, 03:25:57 am »
+1

... but it had nothing that drew me in the way Dominion did immediately, nor did it provide me with any sort of "carrot" that made me willing to undertake the learning curve necessary to a) get better or b) enjoy it more.

For me, the enjoyable element is the rodeo feeling of trying to control a machine gone haywire. Very rarely you cruise a juggernaut, sometimes you feel like crossing the Atlantic while feeding the engine with the ship as Phileas Fogg did. You are much less in control than in Dominion with its ten cards kingdoms, but still the expert vs novice win rate is higher than in, say, Backgammon.

Also, the online version beats the ftf-version by a margin when you play multiple expansions. Keeping abreast of every figure karma in play or en-passant achievements like Supremacy or Heritage can be a daunting task.

Lord Rattington denies my undo requests
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.