Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is Rats-Bishop a Thing?  (Read 4168 times)

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Is Rats-Bishop a Thing?
« on: October 12, 2013, 09:34:59 pm »

Here's the log. Here's the Kingdom:

Code: [Select]
Courtyard, Urchin, Bishop, Coppersmith, Rats, Haggler, Hunting Party, Mine, Stables, Hunting Grounds
We start with Shelters. We have Colonies.

I open Silver-Courtyard, and I go for mostly Hunting Parties via Haggler. But then I also try to incorporate Bishop and Rats to get some points and clear out the Overgrown Estate and Hovel and some Coppers. I am not sure if it was worth it or if the extra variety slowed me down for too long. I won, but I never felt in control of the game. I think it came down to some good draws at the end.

Courtyard also seemed like more of a liability than anything given I wanted to play Haggler and Bishop and Necropolis was the only village.

My opponent opens Courtyard-Stables and sticks with Hunting Parties and Stables with a Bishop. I think not having a Haggler hurt him.

How would you have handled this? Is Bishop-Rats worth it here?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: Is Rats-Bishop a Thing?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 10:04:10 pm »
+3

My first instinct on this board would be HP-Stables with two Hagglers and try and line them up with the Necropolis, I don't think the points from Bishop would be enough to be worth it. Bishop will help your opponent trash their shelters which is a big deal for HP, and urchin probably hurts Bishop too.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 12:22:43 am »

What A Drowned Kernel said, and note that Bishopping a Rats only gives 3 points, which isn't that hot compared to the 5 points from Bishopping a Province or 6 points from Bishopping a Colony, and in this kingdom it's not so hard to get to one-Province-per-turn or one-Colony-per-turn. (Though it might be better to just mass HPs via Haggler and just keep the Colonies.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:23:55 am by blueblimp »

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 01:46:31 am »

What A Drowned Kernel said, and note that Bishopping a Rats only gives 3 points, which isn't that hot compared to the 5 points from Bishopping a Province or 6 points from Bishopping a Colony, and in this kingdom it's not so hard to get to one-Province-per-turn or one-Colony-per-turn. (Though it might be better to just mass HPs via Haggler and just keep the Colonies.)

Bishoping a province actually provides a net loss of one point, and a colony is -4 points. Not something you really want to do when there are faster alternatives.

Bishop/Rats is good, but it requires villages, of which there are none here. I agree with ADK in general, but would add that one haggler is probably enough, and stick with Hunting parties as opposed to stables.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 05:51:29 am »
+3

Haggler is just going to be a much better source of Bishop fuel. Once you reliably produce $11, get a Platinum with each Colony buy, and convert it into 5VP.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 07:04:57 am »

My first instinct on this board would be HP-Stables with two Hagglers and try and line them up with the Necropolis, I don't think the points from Bishop would be enough to be worth it. Bishop will help your opponent trash their shelters which is a big deal for HP, and urchin probably hurts Bishop too.
Hunting party and Stables together ? I don't get the idea.
I thought Hunting party was optimal with only one other kingdom card.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 07:46:48 am »
+1

HP quite sucks at the beginning of the game when it's a shelters board, so getting stables first seems a good idea. You will have lots of different cards in hand when beginning with your HP stack.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 07:49:45 am »

The best strategy on this board is to play against a Bishop opening.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 02:29:26 am »
+3

If you are doing a classic "Hunting Party + X" deck, you want minimal variety, just HP, silver, gold, one terminal silver, and your starting coppers/estates. But that's not the only way to use HP; it's still very good when used as a part of a more traditional draw engine.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 11:35:43 am »
+2

Re HP vs Stables

Here's a game with haggler, stables, and HP (no bishop, no colonies, plus margrave and fortress)

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131006/log.50db96a8e4b0a3565c365932.1381089600904.txt

In addition to hunting parties, I wanted to play margraves and hagglers, which meant i needed a village as well.  So my deck was to be fairly diverse.  This being the case, it seemed like a few stables would supplement the HP's well.  I got my first stables after having just 2 HP's tho, which seems like a mistake, gotta wait for at least 3 before going for stables.  If you want to go for double province, a few coppers help with that, and it's not that hard to get to the point where HP is just a cantrip/chancellor if it's your only draw.

I did end up winning, but I think mainly b/c my opponent overbought gold at the beginning.  Do you think the stables were a mistake here?
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 05:28:30 pm »
+1

Priority here is winning the hunting party split, and avoiding an early bishop.

Once the HP are gone, haggler a bishop and start in on the 15 point turns (buy colony + bishop a platinum + haggler a free platinum)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.