Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Settle an argument for me...  (Read 3423 times)

Delirious Deleuze

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Settle an argument for me...
« on: September 01, 2013, 05:34:36 pm »

My girlfriend thinks that I won this game out of luck.  I disagree.  Can you guys be the judge?

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130901/log.516cd867e4b082c74d7a408b.1378070502975.txt

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Settle an argument for me...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 05:41:51 pm »
+5

You won because your opponent went for Golem, which is too slow here. In Tournament games you want to get to a Province as soon as possible, a Potion in stead of a Tournament hinders that and Golem won't do enough for you (at least not here) to make up for that initial loss in speed.

One thing:

Delirious Deleuze: turn 8
Delirious Deleuze   plays Tournament
Delirious Deleuze   draws Gold
Delirious Deleuze   plays Butcher
Delirious Deleuze   receives 2 coin tokens
Delirious Deleuze   trashes Copper
Delirious Deleuze   gains Copper
Delirious Deleuze   plays 2 Copper, 1 Gold
Delirious Deleuze   uses 2 coin tokens
Delirious Deleuze   buys Province
Delirious Deleuze   gains Province
Delirious Deleuze   draws Estate, Province, Stables, Copper, Estate

You don't have to trash anything when you play Butcher, you could have just not trashed the Copper and saved yourself a Coin token.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 05:57:51 pm »
+5

It's not only too slow, it actually hurts:

---------- ArkhamAngel: turn 7 ----------
ArkhamAngel - plays Golem
ArkhamAngel - reveals Copper, Tournament, Estate, Estate, Silver, Silver, Copper, Potion, Copper, Copper, Tournament
ArkhamAngel - discards: Copper, Estate, Estate, Silver, Silver, Copper, Potion, Copper, Copper
ArkhamAngel - plays Tournament
ArkhamAngel - shuffles deck
ArkhamAngel - draws Estate
ArkhamAngel - plays Tournament
ArkhamAngel - draws Copper
ArkhamAngel - plays 4 Copper
ArkhamAngel - buys Gold
ArkhamAngel - gains Gold
ArkhamAngel - draws Copper, Estate, Silver, Silver, Copper

Well, it's okish, as the next purchase is a gold, but still..

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 03:53:56 am »
+20

Your girlfriend is right.  It was luck.  Girlfriends are always right.  If you disagree, you may lose your Dominion partner

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 03:58:12 am »
+8

Your girlfriend is right.  It was luck.  Girlfriends are always right.  If you disagree, you may lose your Dominion partner

I +1'd this and then realized, no, someone I want to be a partner is someone willing to tell the truth, explain why it wasn't luck, then keep on playing.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 04:08:48 am »

You have equally good draws on turns 1-4, and at that point, you have a Stables where your opponent has a Potion. On turns 5-6, you both have pretty good draws and after that, your deck is obviously much stronger than his deck. On turns 7-8, for your deck getting two Provinces is lucky but not unreasonably lucky, but getting even a single Province is almost impossible for your opponent.

EDIT: Wait a minute, was this game actually against your girlfriend? Then replace the third person pronouns with pronouns of appropriate gender.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:58:11 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 04:17:06 am »
+1

I +1'd this and then realized, no, someone I want to be a partner is someone willing to tell the truth, explain why it wasn't luck, then keep on playing.

+1 ahoppy for funny
+1 you for truthiness

everybody gets some love  ;D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:20:59 am by () | (_) ^/ »

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 04:38:53 am »
+3

It does depend on the relationship... I've played with many people who don't like learning the reasoning and just get mad when you try...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 05:41:54 am »

You played race-for-the-followers more than her, so you won.  She needs to maximize her chances of gaining followers - then and only then can she complain if you get followers first, because Followers brings victory with it on 90% of curserless boards.

I know others have already answered to that effect but I wanted to provide second opinion or whatever.  What's the word.  Concurrence?  Corroboration? Maybe it's corroboration.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 08:53:04 am »
+1

You played race-for-the-followers more than her, so you won.  She needs to maximize her chances of gaining followers - then and only then can she complain if you get followers first, because Followers brings victory with it on 90% of curserless boards.

I know others have already answered to that effect but I wanted to provide second opinion or whatever.  What's the word.  Concurrence?  Corroboration? Maybe it's corroboration.

I'm not a very experienced player, but unless you have a strong engine going, you still only seem to be able to play Followers once or twice before the end of the game.
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 09:01:54 am »

4 times in this game (t 9, 12, 15, 17). Even twice is already a 4 VP difference (unless curses or estates were gone already or SR, gardens, fairgrounds etc. edge cases). Plus, you reduce your opponent's hand size to 3 which is usually at least nice. Moreover, the opponent went for golem, so she could've played followers potentially even more frequently, so denying followers was quite the right move.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 11:33:28 am »
+1

I'm not a very experienced player, but unless you have a strong engine going, you still only seem to be able to play Followers once or twice before the end of the game.

Somewhat agree with this.

My understanding was that Followers does NOT lead to victory.  Rather, victory leads to Followers.  If you are the first to line up Tournament and Province (at which point Followers is commonly chosen, though of course the other prizes can be better depending on the situation), it's a decent indicator that you are winning the game anyway, whether it means having more Provinces or having a deck that can better draw itself.

As Wrclass said, often Followers comes too late to actually do that much damage.  If your deck is able to play it often, then probably you were going to win anyway.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 04:42:00 pm »

Race-for-the-Followers has this dual function of denying your opponent Followers, and getting Followers early enough that you can play it many times in the game.  If you don't generally try to blitz to the Followers, then your experience will be that it's not that good.

Sometimes both players blitz for it and hit 7$ a million times, then once someone actually gets it it's not a big difference.  That's luck, but in a lot more outcomes one player can get it early and lock up the game.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 12:30:36 pm »
+3

My girlfriend thinks that I won this game out of luck.  I disagree.  Can you guys be the judge?

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130901/log.516cd867e4b082c74d7a408b.1378070502975.txt

AHEM...

You make your own shuffle luck.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.192 seconds with 21 queries.