Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Activate-at-will Durations  (Read 1202 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
Activate-at-will Durations
« on: October 29, 2011, 12:28:08 am »

I had an idea that I haven't seen before- durations that you activate when you want rather than the next turn.  Something like this:

Officer Academy
$4 Action-Duration
This card stays in play until you choose to discard it.  You may do so at any point during any of your Action Phases.  When you do, +1 Card, +1 Action.

The net effect is that of a cantrip, sure, but it's more like a more flexible mini-tactician.  Activating it doesn't cost an action, which makes it useful in a variety of situations, and if you draw it on a turn you don't want to waste handsize or actions, you can simply discard it immediately and it's just a cantrip.  Once it's in play, you have tons of freedom in setting up a mega-turn, as it's like a free village/lab.  You can even use it to continue an action chain that fell a bit short on cards or actions.

I wasn't sure how to price it, and I'm still not.  It's pretty useless unless you're building a deck that lends itself to megaturns, or a junk deck where you have nothing to lose by playing it.  It's almost strictly inferior to Tactician, but the ability to delay until you can maximize the benefit, as well as the ability to activate it without using an action, and the ability to simply cycle it out on turns where you don't want it gives it flexibility where it lacks power.

I was originally going to propose the idea as a token mechanic rather than a duration, but I like the idea of it being out of your deck until you use it.  This route also prevents an otherwise strong KC combo.  The effect could be used with lots of little "boosts" (+Buy?  Trash a card?  +$?) but this was the one that struck me as most immediately interesting.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

icesphere

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: Activate-at-will Durations
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:35:52 pm »

This is basically the same as the Summon effect from this fan set: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=843.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 20 queries.