Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Beggar reaction on Pillage  (Read 4195 times)

Pikanto

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
Beggar reaction on Pillage
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:58:35 pm »

Hi all,

we had some games of dominion base + Dark ages this evening and we could not agree how this should work, the rulebook didn't say anything clear about it too:

when someone plays pillage, i react with beggar, discard it, take my silvers and have at that moment only 4 cards in my hand.

Does the attacker pillage me anyway, since at the moment when he played it i had 5 cards in Hand ?

After some discussion we finally agreed that the attack doesn't affect but we still aren't sure.

Thanks in advance! ☺

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
Re: Beggar reaction on Pillage
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:01:31 pm »
+4

The attack doesn't affect you.
The Beggar reaction is resolved before the Pillage itself, so when you get to the "more than 4 cards" part, there are only 4 cards in the hand.

Pikanto

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 07:02:53 pm »

Ok thanks for the fast clarification Watno  :)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 07:05:05 pm »

It should also be noted that beggar can still react even if the pillage wouldn't have affected you anyway. If you had gotten down to 4 cards some other way (opponent played a vault or something), then you could still reveal the beggar.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 08:00:50 pm »
+2

I'd say the key part is noting what the Beggar reacts to, which is the actual playing of the card before anything else resolves. It's like revealing a Secret Chamber to Minion even when they're going to choose the money over the discard option.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:40:38 am »

I'd say the key part is noting what the Beggar reacts to, which is the actual playing of the card before anything else resolves. It's like revealing a Secret Chamber to Minion even when they're going to choose the money over the discard option.
The same sometimes happens with Pirate Ship. An opponent with Moat has to reveal it before you choose whether to trash or get +$. If he reveals a Moat, you can just pick +$ of course.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9414
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 12:30:18 pm »

It's like revealing a Secret Chamber to Minion even when they're going to choose the money over the discard option.

Which is the worst possible thing to happen in Dominion.  I hate, have, hate those games.  Though I suspect Scrying Pool vs. Secret Chamber may be worse.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 12:49:52 pm »
+3

It's like revealing a Secret Chamber to Minion even when they're going to choose the money over the discard option.

Which is the worst possible thing to happen in Dominion.  I hate, have, hate those games.  Though I suspect Scrying Pool vs. Secret Chamber may be worse.

This is the biggest possible overstatement. Of anything. Ever.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 01:08:31 pm »
+1

I hate, have, hate those games.
I don't hate or hate those games, I just have them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 02:36:30 pm »
+1

This is the biggest possible overstatement. Of anything. Ever.

Maybe secret chamber vs minion games killed his family? You shouldn't jump to conclusions here.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 02:46:52 pm »
+7

Are we edge-casing irrational hatred now?
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 07:20:15 pm »

I love having SC in a SP game. Or at least I loved it in one game I played, where my opponent never seemed to twig that I'd always leave a good card underneath a junk one.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 07:34:03 pm »

I love having SC in a SP game. Or at least I loved it in one game I played, where my opponent never seemed to twig that I'd always leave a good card underneath a junk one.

I had SC in a SP game where my opponent bought Sir Bailey, he'd play it and I'd pull a scrying pool or two from my deck and put two coppers back, it was kind of ridiculous.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.492 seconds with 20 queries.