Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Goko UI Issues  (Read 11316 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Goko UI Issues
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 10:14:23 am »
+1

re: the trash/discard/play stuff: am I the only one who's noticed the different glowing edges? Red = if you click, you'll trash this card, orange = discard, blue = play. There's text above your hand, too.
No, I'm pretty sure everyone has noticed them. It's something you notice on your opponent's turn, but having a Mountebank in hand and still having an action left after playing a JoaT is so exciting it's easy to miss.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 10:28:38 am »
+10

re: the trash/discard/play stuff: am I the only one who's noticed the different glowing edges? Red = if you click, you'll trash this card, orange = discard, blue = play. There's text above your hand, too.

"When the orange LED light is illuminated, your universal remote is in TV mode. The blue light means DVD mode. The red light means Grenade mode."
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 10:39:47 am »
+2

I've brought this up before and nobody seemed to care then. I didn't get a response from Goko saying they didn't care, they just... didn't care.

Yeah I've gotten much better about it, but it still happens, and it happens ALL THE TIME to people who are new to Goko. I maintain that my idea is amazing and wouldn't be that hard to implement. Someone, please give me some evidence that there's any reason at all to think this is a bad idea. Clicking on a card in your hand can only mean that you're playing it.

"You'll get used to it" is not an excuse for designing a bad UI.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 10:46:38 am »
+7

I thought about this recently as well.

Btw, I'm really annoyed with Goko ignoring threads on getsatisfaction. It's bad enough they take ages to fix stuff, but they could at least drop down a quick comment like "We are now aware of the problem and will fix it when we get to. Thank you"

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 10:50:02 am »
+1

Thank you for your support. +1 for you, sir.  ;D
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 11:54:48 am »
+1

I'm guessing it would be possible for them to change the cursor/pointer to a dustbin or something when you are trashing cards?

If you were to create a deliberately confusing interface you would have a mouse click on the same item do different things at different times. I'm not expecting any changes from Goko though since I suspect they think that Dominion is nearly complete and needs no extra work. The community probably feels differently.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 02:32:04 pm »
+7

Prior to Dark Ages, I can't imagine a practical reason to not play non-HoP treasure cards aside from the Grand Market limitation.
1) Contraband.
2) You don't want to reveal information about cards in your hand that you don't need to use.
3) You want to remodel one of them with a Farmland buy.
4) You want to save some particular treasures for next turn with a Mandarin buy.
5) You want to trash some particular treasures with a Mint buy.
6) You want to save some particular treasures from being topdecked by HoP gaining a Mandarin, so that you can trash them with a Mint buy.
7) You don't want to trigger a reshuffle, or skip past some good cards, with Venture or Loan.
8) You are worried about three-piling with Talisman or Hoard, so you don't want the extra gain.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 02:47:52 pm »
+1

Prior to Dark Ages, I can't imagine a practical reason to not play non-HoP treasure cards aside from the Grand Market limitation.
1) Contraband.
2) You don't want to reveal information about cards in your hand that you don't need to use.
3) You want to remodel one of them with a Farmland buy.
4) You want to save some particular treasures for next turn with a Mandarin buy.
5) You want to trash some particular treasures with a Mint buy.
6) You want to save some particular treasures from being topdecked by HoP gaining a Mandarin, so that you can trash them with a Mint buy.
7) You don't want to trigger a reshuffle, or skip past some good cards, with Venture or Loan.
8) You are worried about three-piling with Talisman or Hoard, so you don't want the extra gain.

I join with Warfreak into the Edge-case-club  :)

8) should be 8.)  :)
9) You draw your whole deck and don't want to show how many silvers you have (feodum)
10) You don't want to decrease the price for actions from quarry because of farmland

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 03:35:30 pm »
+2

See, I don't need legitimate reasons. I just say that there are none, and people do my work for me. *grin*
A man has no signature

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 03:38:31 pm »

10 is a nice one! 9 is just an instance of 2, though, and I think 8) is the appropriate emoticon for piling out the Golds.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:39:52 pm by Warfreak2 »
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 09:16:56 pm »

There are reasons not to play out some treasure cards, such as hoard, but these can be handled manually. That's no different from wanting to trash a gold with a farmland. When the most common use of these cards is to play them with with basic treasures then this should be the default. Initially all basic treasures were played and all kingdom treasures were kept in hand, just because the programmers wanted to code it in the simplest way.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 01:54:20 am »
+3

6. It doesn't show how much money you got in hand.
When playing engines you often end with many cards in your hand but it's not displayed how much your money cards are worth. It's a waste of time that you have to count them on your own.
It's almost like you're playing with real cards! Oh no!   ::)

It's not even like playing with real cards. This interface would only be like playing with real cards if you were a quadriplegic, moving cards around by hitting the buttons on a Radio Shack Armatron with your face.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 09:20:14 am »

There are reasons not to play out some treasure cards, such as hoard, but these can be handled manually. That's no different from wanting to trash a gold with a farmland. When the most common use of these cards is to play them with with basic treasures then this should be the default. Initially all basic treasures were played and all kingdom treasures were kept in hand, just because the programmers wanted to code it in the simplest way.

The issue wasn't about autoplaying treasures, though that is definitely something to consider. Suggestion #6 (which was actually not Davio's but someone else's) is to display how much money you have available to you based on what is in your hand. And I can't disagree in the handiness of such a feature. But it does raise some questions on how reliable this can be when you have variable treasures in your hand. If this was just the base set, then it'd be easy enough. With the additional treasures, I can see why this a bit more complicated.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2013, 10:22:48 am »
+2

The issue wasn't about autoplaying treasures, though that is definitely something to consider. Suggestion #6 (which was actually not Davio's but someone else's) is to display how much money you have available to you based on what is in your hand. And I can't disagree in the handiness of such a feature. But it does raise some questions on how reliable this can be when you have variable treasures in your hand. If this was just the base set, then it'd be easy enough. With the additional treasures, I can see why this a bit more complicated.

The answer is simple though.  On Iso, it showed the current amount of basic treasure available.  Bam, solved.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

RalphLowe

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2013, 02:11:21 pm »

"When the orange led lights illuminated, your universal remote is in TV mode. The blue light means DVD mode. The red light means Grenade mode."

Thanks for explanation..I was not aware about modes..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:43:54 am by RalphLowe »

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2013, 05:32:26 pm »

Urgh I also dislike the discard or put back on deck in any order, given the discard and deck are tiny (ish) cards right above each other. I can only imagine how annoying a procedure it would be using a trackpad or on a small touchscreen.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2013, 07:27:57 pm »

Urgh I also dislike the discard or put back on deck in any order, given the discard and deck are tiny (ish) cards right above each other. I can only imagine how annoying a procedure it would be using a trackpad or on a small touchscreen.
Especially when there's a "Discard" button that makes you think that it's the only way to discard those cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.