Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31  All

Author Topic: WW's Power Rankings  (Read 235956 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: WW's Power Rankings
« Reply #600 on: August 15, 2013, 10:32:39 pm »
+3

Also, I'm finding it hard to justify Witch over cultist. I remember reading that, in the simulator, Witch against Cultist wins a bit more often. Still, in most games the speed at which Cultist junks is more devastating, because it forces you to get your act together really quickly. And then if you don't retaliate with a junker of your own, powerful Cultist chains are very likely to go off.

The simulator was just Witch BM vs. Cultist BM. Obviously, if any engine is possible, Cultist will just wipe that potential away if your opponent goes for Witch instead.
This is really not terribly true. I mean, yes, you can engineer a board where you want to go cultist over witch and they're on the same board, you can engineer lots. But as a fraction of boards with both on them, they are few. Why? Well, because with both, Mr. Cultist is getting junked, which means he has pretty bad chances of connecting to chain very often, so it's largely just curses vs ruins, big advantage witch, and the important point is that two piles are running very fast, and it's thus not hard to hit the third one. Of course, maybe you are saying the trashing is so good, you can just deal and chain anyway. Okay, fine, but now, there will usually be something better to do than either one - if the trashing is THAT good, the junking has pretty low relevance. Okay, yes, these are some of the boards cultist has advantage, it's true, but I don't think these are so common as ones where witch gets the upper hand.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 15, 2013, 11:04:18 pm »
+2

Or, you buy at least one witch, some villages, and a bunch of cultists.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 16, 2013, 12:07:28 am »

This still isn't an argument that Cultist is better though.  And what if there are no villages?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 16, 2013, 12:12:52 am »

This still isn't an argument that Cultist is better though.  And what if there are no villages?
It was meant to be sarcastic.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ravi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 16, 2013, 08:21:13 am »
+1

Your link to part XV is down to 27 and then XVI is the top 15.  You are missing a link to 26-16. 

Further, could you make the list itself a linked one where each one links to the post where it is described?

Thanks for an awesome list, it was really fun to read.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 16, 2013, 08:43:15 am »
+6

I liked following this thread a lot, both to read WW's list and comments but also to follow the discussion that followed. Thanks for taking the time WW!

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 16, 2013, 10:46:33 am »

Also, I'm finding it hard to justify Witch over cultist. I remember reading that, in the simulator, Witch against Cultist wins a bit more often. Still, in most games the speed at which Cultist junks is more devastating, because it forces you to get your act together really quickly. And then if you don't retaliate with a junker of your own, powerful Cultist chains are very likely to go off.

The simulator was just Witch BM vs. Cultist BM. Obviously, if any engine is possible, Cultist will just wipe that potential away if your opponent goes for Witch instead.
This is really not terribly true. I mean, yes, you can engineer a board where you want to go cultist over witch and they're on the same board, you can engineer lots. But as a fraction of boards with both on them, they are few. Why? Well, because with both, Mr. Cultist is getting junked, which means he has pretty bad chances of connecting to chain very often, so it's largely just curses vs ruins, big advantage witch, and the important point is that two piles are running very fast, and it's thus not hard to hit the third one. Of course, maybe you are saying the trashing is so good, you can just deal and chain anyway. Okay, fine, but now, there will usually be something better to do than either one - if the trashing is THAT good, the junking has pretty low relevance. Okay, yes, these are some of the boards cultist has advantage, it's true, but I don't think these are so common as ones where witch gets the upper hand.

Assuming it's been tuned to the proper number of Cultists/Witches (where the Cultist deck will buy more Cultists), that's a fair argument. You've now shown that Witch is better than Cultist on boards where there are competing junkers. Is that relevant?

I suppose the question is, is this ranking a question of "On a board with A and B, would you rather have A or B [relative to their price points]?", or "In the grand scheme of Dominion, which card are you more likely to want [relative to its price point], A or B?" I think we're looking for the latter here, in which case your example of Cultist vs. Witch is of only minor relevance.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 16, 2013, 10:53:07 am »
+5

grand scheme

+1 Card, +1 Action

At the start of Clean-up this turn, you may choose two Action cards you have in play. If you discard it from play this turn, put it on your deck.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 16, 2013, 10:55:12 am »
+3

grand scheme

+1 Card, +1 Action

At the start of Clean-up this turn, you may choose two Action cards you have in play. If you discard it from play this turn, put it on your deck.

You may not buy this if you have any Actions in play.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 16, 2013, 11:00:02 am »
+1

grand scheme

+1 Card, +1 Action

You may not buy this if you have any Actions in play.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=114.0

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 16, 2013, 11:01:10 am »

Assuming it's been tuned to the proper number of Cultists/Witches (where the Cultist deck will buy more Cultists), that's a fair argument. You've now shown that Witch is better than Cultist on boards where there are competing junkers. Is that relevant?

I suppose the question is, is this ranking a question of "On a board with A and B, would you rather have A or B [relative to their price points]?", or "In the grand scheme of Dominion, which card are you more likely to want [relative to its price point], A or B?" I think we're looking for the latter here, in which case your example of Cultist vs. Witch is of only minor relevance.

I think it is.  In comparing Cultist vs. Witch (both junkers) you have to look at a few things, and one of them is "if one player goes for cultists and one player goes for witch, who is better off?" and I think the answer here is the player who goes for witch.

But that's not the only question.  You also have to ask on a board with just one of them (and no big trashing), what happens to the person who doesn't go for the junker.  Well, both of them will put 10 junk cards into the opponents deck.  Cultist will do this somewhere between slightly and significantly faster, depending on your shuffle luck and ability to hit $5 to buy more Cultists.  Witch will leave the opponent 10 points behind.  I think this is pretty much a push, maybe you say Cultist here.  I think for the chaining to be important you need to get >4, and by then the junk is pretty much gone anyway, so then you are left playing BM-Lab (well worse since you CANT add anything or it becomes worse), and BM-Lab isn't great.  So, they're very close here.

Next, we ask on a board with just one of them (with trashing), what happens to the person who doesn't go for the junker.  Well, both of them will put 10 junk cards into the opponents deck, and most, if not all of these will be trashed.  So, the question is, will Cultists speed edge be enough to overwhelm the trashing, while Witch would not?  Well... it comes down to shuffle luck, really.  If you get 2 Cultists turn 3/4, and their chapel falls to T5, then there might be a big difference.  But, chances are the junker will want to open with the trashing also (maybe not true, but I have to imagine this is stronger).  So they open say Steward-Silver, looking to go into Cultist, while they opponent opens say Steward-Steward, hoping to build some weakish engine.  I really have to imagine that going into Cultist here is weaker than skipping it, at least early.  And in terms of a late game junker, you would MUCH rather add a Witch, since it will at least help with points too.  So, I think a push again.

tl;dr They're close, but I think Witch slightly edges Cultist.
A man on a mission.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 16, 2013, 02:33:25 pm »

Yeah in Cultist vs. Witch I'd probably go for Witch, since the Cultist chaining is kinda weak in a deck full or curses. I just find cultist to be more annoying. In a game with just Cultist as a junker and no good trashing, the player with a 5/2 opening gets a big advantage over the player with a 4/3 opening. The 4/3 opening player can only get Cultist before the second reshuffle, while the 5/2 player likely gets a second cultist before then, and then a third Cultist after that. To whole thing likely ends in a 7/3 ruins split. Not necessarily insurmountable, but very difficult to deal with if you used up your critical early $5 hands on Cultists.

I guess there are a few more soft counters for ruins that there are curses. Vineyard was mentioned, but there's also gardens.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 16, 2013, 02:42:01 pm »

I'm fine with either ordering of Witch/Cultist, but what I don't get is how they're so far below Mountebank. There aren't *that* many cases where you can ignore Cultist but not Mountebank...

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 16, 2013, 03:27:52 pm »

I'm fine with either ordering of Witch/Cultist, but what I don't get is how they're so far below Mountebank. There aren't *that* many cases where you can ignore Cultist but not Mountebank...
To be honest though, there aren't many cases where you can ignore any of the top ten cards in the first place.

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 16, 2013, 03:37:51 pm »

Also, in games with both cultist and witch, it is a huge mistake to ignore either. http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130803/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1375590968315.txt

My opponent didn't play their best, but it still shows the power of both even when the only village costs 5. In this game I went witch first because maradaur was on the board, but I think cultist is better slightly with no other looters.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #615 on: August 16, 2013, 04:56:59 pm »

So, I'm not actually looking at the case where both are on the board, which happens like 4.5% or so of the time that at least one of them is. I am looking at the case where one of them is on the board. So, most games you won't have either one available, but these games don't affect their relative rankings. Then there's a whole bunch of games where one or the other is available - in this case, the comparison to make is "How often do I win buying card X where I would have lost buying card Y" and vice versa, keeping in mind that the not-bought card doesn't translate to nothing, but rather to the next best thing on the board. Then there's the cases where both are there, and you want one over the other.

In the case where there's one or the other, the vast majority of the time, you go for that one and win against someone who doesn't. So there isn't much separation to start with. But I think where that separation exists, it is (slightly) in favor of witch, per my above arguments.

Incidentally, 'where there are competing junkers' is not at all a miniscule proportion of boards, particularly in comparison to "where one of these cards wins and the other one doesn't"

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 16, 2013, 06:26:40 pm »
+7

I liked following this thread a lot, both to read WW's list and comments but also to follow the discussion that followed. Thanks for taking the time WW!

eevee is being agreeable. vote: eevee

Mole5000

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #617 on: August 19, 2013, 05:06:25 am »

So who wants to play a series of games with the top 10 cards then?

Or even one here we go through the sets of ten in order.

I predict a lot of really, really bad kingdoms.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 19, 2013, 12:50:17 pm »

...There are no Villages...  That would be an interesting game.  Which power cards to go for...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 19, 2013, 12:52:00 pm »

...There are no Villages...  That would be an interesting game.  Which power cards to go for...

There's King's Court.
A man on a mission.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 19, 2013, 01:57:34 pm »
+4

Final board is clear. It's got King's Court, Goons, and Masquerade.

q.e.d.

Play Doctor-BM!  :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:59:00 pm by JacquesTheBard »

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 19, 2013, 01:58:43 pm »

q.e.d.

:O

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 19, 2013, 03:11:53 pm »

q.e.d.

Maybe Rebuild(+Goons?) is able to end the game before the pin sets off?
(Not that likely with some nice trashers around here, or am I wrong?

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 19, 2013, 03:39:10 pm »

q.e.d.

Maybe Rebuild(+Goons?) is able to end the game before the pin sets off?
(Not that likely with some nice trashers around here, or am I wrong?

Well, I've figured out that you can setup the pin in a solitaire game about the same time it takes BM to get four provinces.  I don't know if Rebuild could be that fast.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 19, 2013, 03:47:01 pm »

Well, I've figured out that you can setup the pin in a solitaire game about the same time it takes BM to get four provinces.  I don't know if Rebuild could be that fast.

Rebuild laughs at you.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31  All

Page created in 2.314 seconds with 20 queries.