Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Game Recording Software  (Read 1960 times)

Vermillion

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
    • ISuckAtDominion (NSFW)
Game Recording Software
« on: June 24, 2013, 06:55:34 pm »

I have been recording and posting my games on YT with my polite and gentlemanly commentary and have been using CamStudio. Maybe I don't have the settings correct, because it's not as smooooove as I would like.

Maybe I don't have the settings correctly, or maybe there is better software?

Advices?

Note: my machine is not a limiting factor. I have a GoG G73JH-A1 boosted with a SSD and 20gigs of RAM.
---------------------------------------------------
I Suck At Dominion. A NSFW and offensive Youtube channel of Recorded Dominion Games. It may give you cancer. http://bit.ly/1cvXLYL

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Game Recording Software
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:12:18 pm »
+1

I have tried CamStudio, and didn't have much success with it. Right now I use OBS, and have found it to be both effective and easy to use.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Vermillion

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • ISuckAtDominion (NSFW)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:59:03 pm »

I have tried CamStudio, and didn't have much success with it. Right now I use OBS, and have found it to be both effective and easy to use.

Ah - and now I see there is a child board for this.

Thanks for the advice, it works splendidly; I am trying to figure out the configurations to make it work best.
I Suck At Dominion. A NSFW and offensive Youtube channel of Recorded Dominion Games. It may give you cancer. http://bit.ly/1cvXLYL

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 10:07:54 pm »

I generally go for a low FPS, and good resolution. You don't need smooth, flowing graphics for making Dominion videos, but you do want the text to be readable. My laptop is fairly mediocre, but I have little trouble recording at 15 FPS and 1366 x 768. I could probably up the framerate, but it already takes me about 8-10 minutes to process one minute of video (including (minimal) editing and uploading), and honestly, it's not needed.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Vermillion

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • ISuckAtDominion (NSFW)
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 02:19:41 am »

I generally go for a low FPS, and good resolution. You don't need smooth, flowing graphics for making Dominion videos, but you do want the text to be readable. My laptop is fairly mediocre, but I have little trouble recording at 15 FPS and 1366 x 768. I could probably up the framerate, but it already takes me about 8-10 minutes to process one minute of video (including (minimal) editing and uploading), and honestly, it's not needed.

You might find better luck if you reduced the recorded area size by first 'selecting region' manually in the source properties  and then specifying those same dimensions in the base resolution under video settings.

When I record, I've been including an extra column of text from the Chrome extension and still have the record area down to 1293x797.

Vermillion

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • ISuckAtDominion (NSFW)
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 02:24:04 am »

Notice how my video is cropped down here:

If you crop down as much as possible, you'll probably get better performance/faster processing.

ALSO: You can use the 'preview stream' to make sure you have the area selected correctly.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:25:22 am by Vermillion »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.415 seconds with 20 queries.