Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ridiculous Goko Ranking  (Read 1775 times)

GalacticHitchhiker

• Herbalist
  • Village Valedictorian
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Ridiculous Goko Ranking
« on: July 06, 2013, 02:29:37 pm »

Forgive me if this belongs in an already-existing topic: I know there's been plenty of complaints about Goko's ranking system.  And I have to add my two cents.

To this point, I'd always played on Casual instead of Pro, but I was having trouble finding a game, and have been wanting to try pro out, so I joined a Pro game against a guy rated somewhere around 4400.  It was a good game, and I was 1 coin away from winning, but alas did not.  I thought, oh well, his rating of 4400 is much higher than my default rating of 1000; it shouldn't affect my score to terribly.  I was thinking maybe -100 points or so.

-658 points!  WHAT?!?  That's huge!  When playing on Casual, I've lost to people rated well below me and never lost more than 200 or so points.  Now my Pro ranking is in the gutter and I'll probably get kicked from every game I try to join.  WTF?

Is there something I'm misunderstanding here?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Ridiculous Goko Ranking
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 02:31:26 pm »

Forgive me if this belongs in an already-existing topic: I know there's been plenty of complaints about Goko's ranking system.  And I have to add my two cents.

To this point, I'd always played on Casual instead of Pro, but I was having trouble finding a game, and have been wanting to try pro out, so I joined a Pro game against a guy rated somewhere around 4400.  It was a good game, and I was 1 coin away from winning, but alas did not.  I thought, oh well, his rating of 4400 is much higher than my default rating of 1000; it shouldn't affect my score to terribly.  I was thinking maybe -100 points or so.

-658 points!  WHAT?!?  That's huge!  When playing on Casual, I've lost to people rated well below me and never lost more than 200 or so points.  Now my Pro ranking is in the gutter and I'll probably get kicked from every game I try to join.  WTF?

Is there something I'm misunderstanding here?
You've never played a pro game before? In this case, it has absolutely no idea how good you are. So after the first game, you would expect it to swing rather wildly - you go from absolutely no data to 'we have one piece of data'.

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 02:35:32 pm »

Now my Pro ranking is in the gutter and I'll probably get kicked from every game I try to join.

I can't even try to explain the rating system, but you can at least play pro games against bots until your rating is decent.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:36:27 pm »
+2

Just win a game, and you'll probably get +2k or something, and before you know it, you're back up to a reasonable rating.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.995 seconds with 21 queries.