Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Most annoying situations in Dominion  (Read 18605 times)

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
Re: Most annoying situations in Dominion
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 08:21:31 pm »
+2

Player 3er or 4er where one or two people make poor decisions and lock you out of a chance to win while having no chance themselves.  E.g.:

Bob goes B-crat/Gardens
Billy goes Possession
Brad goes Nv/Bridge
You go cry

Bob plays Envoy/Contraband/etc.
Billy makes an uniformed call on what to discard/band
You play something that beats the Envoy/Contraband/Etc. but only if you do intelligent things like prohibit gold early

Bob goes for big Governor draw without Militia
Billy has Militia
You go get another beer

Thankfully, Dominion does not have these setups often.

Vermillion

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
    • ISuckAtDominion (NSFW)
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 10:00:00 pm »

There are a couple of horrible situations that make you want to quit. What is the top-3?

I guess I would put full pins at first spot, but I've never been in either end of them. My current top 3 is:

- Constant Ghost Ship.
- Torturer chains.
- Scrying Pool chains.

Any additions?

Eventually the torturere chains stop. Some people don't seem to realize that if the curses are gone, you can choose to gain a curse and gain nothing.
---------------------------------------------------
I Suck At Dominion. A NSFW and offensive Youtube channel of Recorded Dominion Games. It may give you cancer. http://bit.ly/1cvXLYL

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 10:09:31 pm »
+1

On Goko it is annoying to face an opponent going Bishop/Fortress.  You are prompted four or five times to trash a card.
Well you *do* need a signature...

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 10:17:53 pm »

There are a couple of horrible situations that make you want to quit. What is the top-3?

I guess I would put full pins at first spot, but I've never been in either end of them. My current top 3 is:

- Constant Ghost Ship.
- Torturer chains.
- Scrying Pool chains.

Any additions?

Eventually the torturere chains stop. Some people don't seem to realize that if the curses are gone, you can choose to gain a curse and gain nothing.

I'm pretty sure people realize that.  (In particular, I'm sure soulnet is aware of that.)  Torturer chains are annoying because it's a lot easier to build a Torturer/Village engine than a Witch/Village engine, so there tends to be more torturers per turn in games with heavy torturing than witches per turn in games with heavy witching.  I think the main complaint is that when playing online, the other player has to respond to every torturer that is played, even after curses are gone, whereas with witch, the curse is given automatically.  Since the Torturers are probably the main source of draw in the engine, they are going to get played a lot, so there's a lot of interruptions to the turn with not much happening.

I think having someone try to explain to me why one of the most annoying situations in Dominion is not annoying, because they think I do not understand the rules, is one of the most annoying situations in Dominion.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:25:30 pm by scott_pilgrim »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 10:23:18 pm »

A lot of people, particularly less experienced players, are so adverse to gaining a Curse that they just discard their entire hand every turn.  And then the pin doesn't end.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 11:35:48 pm »

IRL: cards like spy, thief, etc. that require everyone to reveal the top card of their deck. These always seem to get chained while someone is in the middle of shuffling. Or maybe it's because I'm a slow shuffler :-[

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 12:00:40 am »
+2

A lot of people, particularly less experienced players, are so adverse to gaining a Curse that they just discard their entire hand every turn.  And then the pin doesn't end.

I remember playing a game where my opponent Torturer pinned me and I discarded my hand every turn for a few consecutive turns. This was an informed decision, though, because his Torturer chain collapsed and then I gave him the 9 remaining Curses with my own Torturer chain.

Markov Chain

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 12:22:36 am »

I think the main complaint is that when playing online, the other player has to respond to every torturer that is played, even after curses are gone, whereas with witch, the curse is given automatically.

There are times you will want to be tortured (Library, Menagerie discarding two Curses, Shanty Town with one bad action, Philosopher's Stone, protect against someone else's Minion, Pillage, or Bureaucrat).  Still, it would be useful in online games if you can choose to automatically decline the second discard once you have already declined the first.

Markov Chain

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 12:24:02 am »

But this works well in multi-player.  I got tortured six times between turns in a 4P game, and by discarding my hand, I avoided gaining any curses while the other players took about eight.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 06:19:23 am »
+4

On Goko it is annoying to face an opponent going Bishop/Fortress.  You are prompted four or five times to trash a card.
I respond by trashing my Fortress. It's already where I was going to click anyway.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 05:33:40 pm »
+2

IRL: cards like spy, thief, etc. that require everyone to reveal the top card of their deck. These always seem to get chained while someone is in the middle of shuffling. Or maybe it's because I'm a slow shuffler :-[

Just pick one or two cards at random to be the "top card" while you shuffle the rest.

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 11:03:48 pm »
+4

I respond by trashing my Fortress. It's already where I was going to click anyway.
But if you trash your Fortress and regain it, they should get the share bonus from the dogma.

(Dominion has invaded the innovation forum too...)

Vermillion

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
    • ISuckAtDominion (NSFW)
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 10:14:05 pm »
+6

Delivery pizza arrives.
---------------------------------------------------
I Suck At Dominion. A NSFW and offensive Youtube channel of Recorded Dominion Games. It may give you cancer. http://bit.ly/1cvXLYL

grobblewobble

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 10:30:54 am »

I hate misclick mistakes on Goko. You wanted to play cool action card X, whoops, you trashed it to your chapel instead.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 12:26:00 pm »
+1

I hate misclick mistakes on Goko. You wanted to play cool action card X, whoops, you trashed it to your chapel instead.

Cartographer is the worst misclick enabler for me.  Sure, I'd like to put that Platinum back on top of my deck.  Click.  Hey, where did it go?

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2013, 01:06:43 pm »

Delivery pizza arrives.

You are my favorite person now.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 01:57:45 pm »

Cartographer is the worst misclick enabler for me.  Sure, I'd like to put that Platinum back on top of my deck.  Click.  Hey, where did it go?
Hamlet here.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GeronimoRex

• Navigator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 02:24:31 pm »

Lookout as the only trasher, no enablers. Opponent consecutively uses it to trash all three Estates; you keep using it to draw three action cards vital to an engine -- trash, discard. Rebuild engine. Whiff again with Lookout.

Also annoying: Embargo (only curser) a pile you think your opponent will want; they take a totally different approach than expected and now YOU want the pile you've embargoed and have to eat the curses. It's like an April Fools prank you play on yourself.

Repeatedly being Pillaged.

Playing a Possession only to find out that the other player has two green cards, two curses and a copper. So instead of helping yourself, you just helped them to discard their crap hand. They go on to draw 2 Provinces with their next hand.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 02:35:56 pm »

Play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, have 3$, buy a Village.

Why are there 11 copies of Village in this game? Did you accidentally include the randomizer?  ;)

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2013, 02:37:04 pm »

When in a 3 player mountebank game, one of the players has a curse in hand all but twice.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2013, 02:38:03 pm »

Play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, have 3$, buy a Village.

Why are there 11 copies of Village in this game? Did you accidentally include the randomizer?  ;)

Tell your opponent that they are not allowed to buy the randomizer.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2013, 03:12:50 pm »
+2

not getting your chapel until turn 5 is the one that bugs me the most
Go, and do likewise.

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2013, 03:48:25 pm »
+1

Bought KC just before a shuffle, drew it in the next hand with no Actions.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2013, 10:18:27 pm »

Knights.

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2013, 10:38:21 pm »
+1

Turn 4: Baron, crossroads, copper, copper, copper. I really hate whiffing on Baron in general, but man, that one stung.

Opening 5/2 on a board with no $2's. Bonus hate for mediocre $5's, or Fishing Village.

In one less-than-serious game, I decided to open Smuggler... the player before me mis-clicked and bought a secret chamber with $4.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.