Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Most annoying situations in Dominion  (Read 18583 times)

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Most annoying situations in Dominion
« on: June 23, 2013, 02:24:19 pm »
+1

There are a couple of horrible situations that make you want to quit. What is the top-3?

I guess I would put full pins at first spot, but I've never been in either end of them. My current top 3 is:

- Constant Ghost Ship.
- Torturer chains.
- Scrying Pool chains.

Any additions?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Most annoying situations in Dominion
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 03:15:09 pm »

The worst is when you're in an un-winnable position, but the game is still going to take a long time. The one's you're missing I think are:
 - losing Curse split 7-3 when both decks are under-developed
 - drowning from Ambassadors
 - vs a constant barely-full-drawing attack engine with little-to-no economy (so they have to spend full turns building up reliance to adding econ/vp cards and then building the economy before they kill you)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 03:59:44 pm »

Opponent lucks into a T5 Province in a Tournament game.  Or you draw 2P on Turn 5 in a Familiar or Alchemist.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:07:59 pm »
+4

Play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, have 3$, buy a Village.

HME mentioned it, I guess.
Same for Spys.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:09:42 pm by Mr Anderson »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 04:10:24 pm »

There are a couple of horrible situations that make you want to quit. What is the top-3?

I guess I would put full pins at first spot, but I've never been in either end of them. My current top 3 is:

- Constant Ghost Ship.
- Torturer chains.
- Scrying Pool chains.

Any additions?

I've been on the giving side of full pins once, and it was amazing.  My opponent, however...  That would be first.

Another one I would say would be being Possessed three times a turn when you haven't even managed to get to $6P yet.

The worst is when you're in an un-winnable position, but the game is still going to take a long time. The one's you're missing I think are:
- losing Curse split 7-3 when both decks are under-developed
 - drowning from Ambassadors
 - vs a constant barely-full-drawing attack engine with little-to-no economy (so they have to spend full turns building up reliance to adding econ/vp cards and then building the economy before they kill you)

One time I had such horrible luck on a familiar board, I lost the Curse split 10-0.  I still won (by rushing duchies and shanty towns).  I wouldn't say it's an un-winnable position.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 05:02:48 pm »
+3

The only situation that really annoys me is when my opponent is winning the game and he or she could end the game now in their victory but chooses to win more instead, at the cost of my time. That, and when my opponent turns off the VP tracker.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 05:18:33 pm »
+13

Play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, play a Village, draw a Village, have 3$, buy a Village.

Tell your opponent that they are not allowed to buy the randomizer.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 05:21:55 pm »
+1

The most annoying situation is when you are P2 and P1 wins the game on their extra turn.
A man on a mission.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 07:24:06 pm »
+2

The most annoying situation is when you are P2 and P1 wins the game on their extra turn.

The most annoying situation is when you are Player 2 and Player 1 wins and then you play another game with that same person and you are Player 2 again.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 07:33:06 pm »
+1

I doubt there is a single most annoying thing, but here are some I had:
1) Buy only Cellars and Tunnels; fail to connect them until turn 10.
2) Open Potion/Storeroom; finally buy Familiar on turn 6. (This opening gets a Familiar on T3/T4 about 8 games out of 9, and sometimes can get two...)
3) Open Silver/Silver; fail to hit $5 until turn 6.
4) Noble Brigand steals your Silver on turn 1. (This is actually a 1 in 3 chance...)
5) $5 on turn 1, but can't buy Dame Chapel because opponent already bought her.
6) Opponent opens Pirate Ship and hits your Silver and three Golds before trashing any Coppers for you.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 07:45:48 pm »
+27

It depends on the board, but I think in general, the most annoying thing is having all of your questions answered by "it depends on the board".

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 09:18:22 pm »
+1

There was a poll awhile ago about most annoying bad luck situations, but I can't find it. Anyway, other than those, I'd say when I think an engine is non-viable, so I do some dull treasure strategy, while my opponent goes for an engine--and then it turns out that the engine is viable after all.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 09:28:16 pm »

There was a poll awhile ago about most annoying bad luck situations, but I can't find it. Anyway, other than those, I'd say when I think an engine is non-viable, so I do some dull treasure strategy, while my opponent goes for an engine--and then it turns out that the engine is viable after all.

Worse: The engine was non-viable, too slow to get started, or too risky. Unfortunately for you, they got some lucky draws, and you some bad ones.

Asides from that, some annoying situations I've been in:
Opening silver/terminal, having at least the terminal fall to turn 5, while buying a terminal turns 3 or 4 and having that collide on turn 5.
Situations where the worst possible luck occurs within that situation. Naturally, the worse the luck, the more annoying. Such as, there's 4 cards on deck, I haven't seen either gold in my deck yet. I play Vault, needing a gold, and draw neither. Not quite worst possible luck but I had a game once where, using Lookout, I believe I managed to trash 6 coppers and two more valuable cards (I think a silver and a market maybe). I didn't trash a single estate (what I really needed) and at least one of the times I trashed a valuable card, I knew I had two estates on deck out of at most 6 cards (possibly 5)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 09:31:55 pm »
+1

Worse: The engine was non-viable, too slow to get started, or too risky. Unfortunately for you, they got some lucky draws, and you some bad ones.

Asides from that, some annoying situations I've been in:
Opening silver/terminal, having at least the terminal fall to turn 5, while buying a terminal turns 3 or 4 and having that collide on turn 5.
Situations where the worst possible luck occurs within that situation. Naturally, the worse the luck, the more annoying. Such as, there's 4 cards on deck, I haven't seen either gold in my deck yet. I play Vault, needing a gold, and draw neither. Not quite worst possible luck but I had a game once where, using Lookout, I believe I managed to trash 6 coppers and two more valuable cards (I think a silver and a market maybe). I didn't trash a single estate (what I really needed) and at least one of the times I trashed a valuable card, I knew I had two estates on deck out of at most 6 cards (possibly 5)

Psh, I've had a game where I opened with Sea Hag and didn't have the ability to play it until like turn 13.

Edit: Not that yours isn't bad. But this pretty much dampened my ability to complain "I'm getting the WORST luck"

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 10:49:31 pm »
+18

When you draw an amazing turn 3 hand but you realise you're playing against Celestial Chameleon so you won't get to use it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 11:48:32 pm »

1) Buy only Cellars and Tunnels; fail to connect them until turn 10.

Cellar isn't that great of a Tunnel enabler though.  Mediocre, I think.

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 12:44:06 am »

-Your opponent opens treasure maps with zero support, gets them to collide turn 5.

-You play a swindler, trashing an estate and replacing it with another estate. I played one game where both my opponent and I opened with swindlers. Between us, we trashed something like 5 estates and no coppers. On the bright side, the talismans he swindled my $4 cards into let me empty the 3rd pile the turn before his massive city stack went off, so there is that...

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 12:49:53 am »
+1

-Your opponent opens treasure maps with zero support, gets them to collide turn 5 3.

FTFY

heatthespurs

• Spy
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 02:11:35 am »
+3

-Your opponent opens treasure maps with zero support, gets them to collide turn 5 3.

FTFY

It is indeed with support - Baker

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 09:56:35 am »

Possession where both decks are average (like, you couldn't trash your deck down to zero economy) and you happen to Possess all of their $2-$3 hands and they happen to Possess all your $8 hands.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 10:55:31 am »

One time I had such horrible luck on a familiar board, I lost the Curse split 10-0.  I still won (by rushing duchies and shanty towns).  I wouldn't say it's an un-winnable position.

It is against a decent player. Nearly every game I've won from such a position was against a bad player. Good players aren't going to make the massive and obvious mistakes often required to lose when that far ahead in Curses.

(this is assuming no strong trashing, of course)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 03:15:53 pm »
+3

Minion.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 03:33:34 pm »

On Goko, playing multiple Spies in a row can be annoying, and IRL with a lot of people 'C'mon Bill, show me the top card of your deck already...'. But the most annoying overall is Ghost Ship since it can slow the game down to a crawl.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 07:36:12 pm »

It is against a decent player. Nearly every game I've won from such a position was against a bad player. Good players aren't going to make the massive and obvious mistakes often required to lose when that far ahead in Curses.

(this is assuming no strong trashing, of course)

It was against a bad player...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 07:58:10 pm »

Playing scrying pool + storeroom on Goko.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.