Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Would folks be interested in a polling tournament for cards?  (Read 2682 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
+1

I come from a forum where we like to vote on stuff and have big overblown tournaments, so I thought I'd see if it could garner any interest here.  I may or may not actually follow through, but I'm obviously more likely to do so if people actually wanna see it. 

What I'm thinking is:
  • Divide the 205 (by my count?) cards up into kingdoms (there'd be a play-in round, too)
  • Allow people to vote on what they consider the "key cards" in each kingdom (allowing votes for as many or as few cards as you feel necessary)
  • The top X cards (usually 5) move onto the next round, and are re-sorted into new random (or seeded?) kingdoms, and the process repeats until we're down to the last kingdom and the top 10 cards.

Details:
  • Young Witch will have the Bane randomly generated and noted, but you won't be able to vote for it.
  • Colonies and Shelters will be decided in accordance with the official rules.
  • Black Market will not be specified, nor will the order of Knights.
  • The play-in round would consist of some assortment of the bottom-most cards from the Qvist lists, with five cards being eliminated to make things even.

Potential issues:
  • "What are key cards here?" is a pretty vague question that I could see being a source of contention.
  • It's mostly a just for fun thing that, due to random kingdoms and single elimination, could overrate or underrate some cards and won't give a particularly definitive "what's the best card" answer.
  • It's a lot of topics and it could wind up clogging up the board even at the rate of one every couple of days.
  • Does this poll mechanism even support being able to vote for multiple things?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Would folks be interested in a polling tournament for cards?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 06:33:46 pm »
+2

Sure, why not? More voting/arguing = more fun!

Potential issues:
  • "What are key cards here?" is a pretty vague question that I could see being a source of contention.
  • It's mostly a just for fun thing that, due to random kingdoms and single elimination, could overrate or underrate some cards and won't give a particularly definitive "what's the best card" answer.
  • It's a lot of topics and it could wind up clogging up the board even at the rate of one every couple of days.
  • Does this poll mechanism even support being able to vote for multiple things?

1. At least since you have a kingdom, we can't say "depends on the kingdom"...
2. As long as it's not claiming to find the best card it doesn't matter.
3. Meh, the boards all kind of a mess anyway.
4. Yes.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 06:40:58 pm »

The main problem I see is that different cards are better in different kingdoms.  There could be a kingdom where Chapel isn't that viable, even though it's a good card.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 06:45:13 pm »
+3

The main problem I see is that different cards are better in different kingdoms.  There could be a kingdom where Chapel isn't that viable, even though it's a good card.

Yeah but that's why it's a tournament.  Sometimes the tournament favorite gets upset and knocked out first round.

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 07:02:32 pm »

I consider it a tradeoff- it might not be strictly fair to all the cards, but on the other hand, you have more unpredictable (and to some of us, therefore more interesting) results, as well as a more concrete means of comparing cards. (It's easier to compare X to Y within the context of Z kingdom than it is in a completely general sense)  I figure Qvist pretty much has the fair-as-possible group analysis market covered, anyway, but I can certainly understand where some people would prefer that idea to mine.

EDIT: Under the assumption that Sudgy speaks for most of the "needs changes" opinions, allow me to present both my current plan and a double elimination alternative that could mitigate the random factor a bit:

(Each of these has a play-in to go from 205 to 200)
Original plan
-20 Kingdoms, 5 each survive (100 remain)
-10 Kingdoms, 5 each survive (50)
-5 Kingdoms, 4 each survive (20)
-2 Kingdoms, 5 each survive (10)
-1 Championship
39 Matches

Double Elimination
-20 Kingdoms, 4 each win (80 perfect/120 1-loss)
-Winners: 8 Kingdoms, 5 each win
Losers: 12 Kingdoms, 5 each win (40/100)
-Winners: 4 Kingdoms, 5 each win
Losers: 10 Kingdoms, 4 each win (20/60)
-Winners: Bye round
Losers: 6 Kingdoms, 5 each win (20/30, combine brackets to 50)
-5 Kingdoms, 4 each survive (20)
-2 Kingdoms, 5 each survive (10)
-1 Championship
71 Matches

(I was going to work up a format with a wildcard/second chance component but the numbers kept working out weird)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:04:35 pm by Tombolo »
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 10:43:31 am »

You should define "key cards" as precisely as you can.  I think the best definition would be, which cards are optimal to buy here, and which cards alter what cards are optimal to buy here on a "but what if he does that" basis (like, that Possession that no one touches, but that causes everyone to use a different trasher than Masquerade out of worry.)

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 11:01:23 am »

Yes, bring it on!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:48:20 pm »

I like this a whole lot, actually.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 04:11:44 pm »

I vote for the format that has fewer matches, so the single-elimination.

It's higher-variance, but so what? It's all in good fun anyway. Some good cards might get eliminated early because they don't get the right kingdom - but what would a tournament be without any upsets? It would be cool to root for, say, lowly Duchess to beat out Chapel if both of them get drawn together with Duke.

And this is looking like it would be a massive undertaking in any case, even 39 matches is going to take a lot of polls and voting to go through.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:16:30 pm by ftl »

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 05:08:30 pm »

Agreed with ftl. This will take a while, and so you probably want to just finish everything quickly or everyone will just lose interest over time. And if it's popular, you can do a bigger double-elimination tournament later.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 05:12:32 pm »

Also, you should figure out what you're going to do in case of ties. Because I  bet there will be at least some boring kingdoms where people vote for fewer than 5 key cards, maybe a DoubleJack or a BM+X board with clearly no other option, and there'll be a 6-way tie for 5th place with 0 votes, or something like that.

Maybe in that case, to keep the numbers even, bring in "lucky losers" from other kingdoms that were close, or something.

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 05:29:50 pm »

My plan was to just break the ties myself, and abstain from regular voting.  I could keep track of close losers from other kingdoms for a second chance, I suppose!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.457 seconds with 21 queries.