Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition: Knights  (Read 30735 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition: Knights
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2013, 08:03:37 pm »

and a Martin (Buys),

Of course you'd remember Martin. Time to change your avatar.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2013, 08:16:06 pm »

I have a lot of trouble remembering the names of the knights.  It's not the same as remembering the other kingdom cards, because all other things being equal, you'll only have the individual knight in your hand 1 time for every 10 times you have a regular kingdom card.  You'll only play it 1 out of 10, you'll only see it played by another player, etc.  You interact with the regular kingdom cards 10 times as much as you interact with an individual knight.  So maybe it takes 10 times as long to memorize?

I've played at least 10 and probably more like 20 games with knights, and when reading these posts, I had to keep looking up to the original ranking list to see which knight a poster was talking about.  Even after reading a whole page of posts, when I got to page 2 and I couldn't check the rankings, I was still at a loss for a lot of the knights.

I'm someone who is known for having a pretty good memory, but reading these posts was very cumbersome for me except for the people who used the "Sir Discard" style.  Theirs were the only posts I could just simply read and understand. 

Also, compared to most threads in this forum, there are a greater number of inexperienced players reading: I send the link to one of the rankings threads to anyone I teach Dominion, and they usually enjoy them.  Maybe it's mostly diehards posting, but I think there are novices reading, and I imagine they're having as much trouble as I did.

If you didn't know the names before, but now after reading this thread you've looked them up, then isn't that a good thing?  I remember reading these sorts of rankings and lists back when I first started playing Dominion -- before even getting all of the expansions -- and I just looked cards up when I didn't know them.  That's how you learn, right?  It's a good thing?
Well you *do* need a signature...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2013, 10:47:11 pm »

and a Martin (Buys),

Of course you'd remember Martin. Time to change your avatar.

Don't be silly. Sir Martin is best Sir. And besides, Sir Martin looks a bit like me (same beard mostly), and I'm a Martin, so... I'll stick with this, thanks.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2013, 10:57:03 am »

It's even harder to remember them all off the top of your head. If you mention a knight's name, I'll know exactly which knight is being referred to, but if yopu asked me to name the ten knights I might fall short. Yesterday I forgot the name of the Gainer knight, Dame Natalie. Today, I forgot the name of the cantrip knight, Sir Bailey.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 1.473 seconds with 21 queries.