Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Interesting Minion game  (Read 1649 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Interesting Minion game
« on: October 22, 2011, 05:52:05 pm »

I just played a Minion game where I tried a little Alchemy in order to improve my Minion density. Both Apothecary and Scrying Pool were available. I tried getting both of those cards as supplements to the Minions: Apothecary early to get to $5 and to cycle the deck faster, then Scrying Pools as I got more actions into the deck. The goal was to use Apothecary to improve the Minion density of the next hand in case I used the discard option and or to draw more effectively with the Scrying Pool (e.g., putting a green card on top so SP could discard it). It worked ok but not great. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to make this trick work more effectively (or reasons why it might be too slow to be effective).

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Minion game
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 06:48:38 pm »

One problem is that by the time you've bought a potion and some alchemy cards your opponent has bought all the minions. Another problem is that scrying pool and apothecary draw a lot of treasure into your hand and then the minion throws it away. In that respect you're not maximising any of the cards even if you're making a working deck.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 10:06:45 pm »

Yeah, those don't seem like they'd work well at all with Minions. Scrying pool is okay of course, but is it worth having the potion in your deck for it? Whereas with apothecary you only set up your next hand, and are going to discard most of the things you draw with it most of the time.

Sure, they're nice to have, but it doesn't seem like it's worth getting potions for them - especially if that potion means you're getting fewer minions.

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 10:38:08 pm »

On the other hand, a couple Cartographers would probably be great in a Minion deck.  I don't know, I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:38:43 am »

On the other hand, a couple Cartographers would probably be great in a Minion deck.  I don't know, I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

From the new cards obviously Oasis is Minion's friend.
Border village might be very good too with attractive terminals as you do not want many golds anyway.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.352 seconds with 21 queries.