Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How's Goko these days?  (Read 4289 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
How's Goko these days?
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:47:42 pm »
+1

I haven't given them a shot since around the time Dark Ages was coming out IRL, but....Guilds is coming out, and my IRL Dominion friends are about to move across the country, so it's time to either hop on the Goko train or abandon Dominion for good.  Is the security improved?  Rules implemented okay?  Extension in the sticky topic helpful?  Decently easy to find a match?  Stability within acceptable bounds?

And if I do make the switch, what's the current most efficient way to buy the sets?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
Re: How's Goko these days?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 11:02:18 pm »

Is the security improved?  Rules implemented okay?  Extension in the sticky topic helpful?  Decently easy to find a match?  Stability within acceptable bounds?  And if I do make the switch, what's the current most efficient way to buy the sets?

Mostly, Yes, SO MUCH YES, Yes if you have cards, Yes.

It appears the cheapest way to buy all the cards is now actually to buy the Ultra-Mega-Hyper Pack or whatever they're calling it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:17:47 pm »

Dunno, yes, lol yes without the extension it would be as unplayable as ever, without the cards it's pretty annoying, yes, no idea/opinion.

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 11:32:15 pm »

That's enough of an endorsement for a shot, I suppose!

Did we ever settle on an official room to use for us?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 11:37:50 pm »

That's enough of an endorsement for a shot, I suppose!

Did we ever settle on an official room to use for us?
Outpost. There's a thread on it in dominion online.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 02:00:58 am »

Goko's really improved. I haven't had any problems with disconnects in a long while, the rating system has been really stable, and they've done a good job getting guilds out on time. Apart from the lack of a matchmaking system, and a few small irritations with layouts when there's more than 10 kingdom cards, Goko has become a very enjoyable place to play dominion!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 02:21:49 am »
+1

I seem to be the only Goko-er that hasn't downloaded the extension.  It amuses me when people complain that it's too hard to know what's going on in my YouTube videos because of this.  It's like some of them have never played IRL.  ;)

Apart from a reported bug that apparently you can Taxman into Actions (which I personally haven't seen), Guilds seems to be implemented more or less perfectly.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 02:47:37 am »
+1

I think they fixed the taxman bug pretty quickly. If you didn't stay up late to play guilds on release you would have missed it, they fixed it by the next day.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 05:45:31 am »

I still have massive lagging problems, but I think I've more or less concluded that it is an issue with my home network and not a Goko issue as such. Aside from this, I love Goko.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 06:56:25 am »
+1

Goko lags and hangs for me, even when I can see `ping -t google.com` running along fine in another window. Besides, if you have a bit of a spotty internet connection, Goko ought to be able to handle it fine without freezing or reloading the page of its own accord. It's not like Dominion is a real-time game where your moves have to be transmitted instantaneously.

It's also really sluggish, it pushes Firefox to 50% CPU (I presume this would be 100% on a single-core machine...) pretty much constantly.

That said, with the browser extension it's OK so long as you don't put too much emotional investment into your games, because you will just lose some percentage of them for no reason.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 09:15:32 am »

Goko is better now, escpecially with the extension.
I'd recommend buying it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 12:47:44 pm »
+4

...because you will just lose some percentage of them for no reason.

This is true no matter where you play Dominion.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 12:55:30 pm »
+1

Unfortunately the leaderboard is still terrible.  An unlucky string of losses = say good-bye to your ranking, especially if it happens after taking a break from Dominion.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 09:54:05 pm »
+1

Also, since guilds, they've gotten rid of their absurdly terrible and dishonest pricing scheme. The package deals are now cheaper than the sum of the individual components and you can buy the right increments of gokoins to get what you want. Yay progress.

rrwoods

• Navigator
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 11:24:42 pm »

and you can buy the right increments of gokoins to get what you want
FWIW I was able to do this before Guilds came out; I think right around June 7-8 or so?  Don't remember.  I bought exactly as many Gokoins as I needed to get the Super Pack and the other individual sets.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 11:27:44 pm »

and you can buy the right increments of gokoins to get what you want
FWIW I was able to do this before Guilds came out; I think right around June 7-8 or so?  Don't remember.  I bought exactly as many Gokoins as I needed to get the Super Pack and the other individual sets.

It was possible but it took some effort to do the math. Now, theyre selling gokoins in packs of 40, 70, 110, etc which is exactly the price of the various things they sell.

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 01:11:02 am »
+1

I took the plunge and have been pretty much glued to it since.

....Adventures seem to have been tidied up a bit perhaps, too?  But the bottomless women are kinda freakin' me out.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 03:16:28 am »
+1

Unfortunately the leaderboard is still terrible.  An unlucky string of losses = say good-bye to your ranking, especially if it happens after taking a break from Dominion.

this very same unlucky strike of losses, especially after taking a break from Dominion would have caused the same drop in the rankings on iso. i personally feel the rating loss here is much less than on isotropic. The increase in uncetrainty was much bigger back in the isotropic days, just saying.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.747 seconds with 21 queries.