Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Guilds rules?  (Read 5254 times)

rrwoods

• Navigator
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
Guilds rules?
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:48:40 pm »

Is there an online resource for the full guilds rules? I don't own the physical set yet, but I have been playing guilds on goko and have stumbled into some rules just by trying to do things I didn't know I couldn't and I'd like to read over the whole thing if its available.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Guilds rules?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:04:29 pm »
+3

Hmm.  This is a good point.  I just paid Goko, and they aren't even providing me with the rules for the game I purchased.
Well you *do* need a signature...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 07:03:16 pm »
+3

Well, some time in the past hour Rio Grande Games posted the rules on its website.

http://riograndegames.com/getFile.php?id=1767

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 07:44:19 pm »
+3

Unlikely scenario, from the FAQ for Stonemason:

"If there is only one card in the Supply cheaper than the trashed card, you gain that one."

...I guess a four-player Mountebank game is the most likely situation for this.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 07:48:54 pm »
+1

Hmm, I notice that the Guilds rules say specifically that coin tokens earned with e.g. Baker can't be put on your Pirate Ship mat, but it doesn't say that coin tokens earned with Pirate Ship can't be spent like any other coin tokens. I assume this is an oversight in the rule-book editing process.

Still, it does mean that, retroactively, Pirate Ship is now a card whose effect is different from what the card actually says.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 07:58:42 pm »

"If there is only one card in the Supply cheaper than the trashed card, you gain that one."

It's quite reasonable to use stonemason to trash an estate (or another stonemason!) after the curses have already run out. That's a scenario which might happen without too contrived of a Kingdom.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 08:19:12 pm »

It's quite reasonable to use stonemason to trash an estate (or another stonemason!) after the curses have already run out. That's a scenario which might happen without too contrived of a Kingdom.

In context, Donald is referring to the case when there is, say, only a single Copper left in the Supply and no Curses or Ruins.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 08:57:09 pm »

D'oh, I should have figured. Yes, 4p mountebank game then.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 09:09:11 pm »
+5

Hmm, I notice that the Guilds rules say specifically that coin tokens earned with e.g. Baker can't be put on your Pirate Ship mat, but it doesn't say that coin tokens earned with Pirate Ship can't be spent like any other coin tokens. I assume this is an oversight in the rule-book editing process.

Still, it does mean that, retroactively, Pirate Ship is now a card whose effect is different from what the card actually says.

This is what they get for calling them "coin tokens" instead of "booty" back in Seaside.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Bron

• Steward
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 11:25:55 am »

I believe that everything on mats is totally inaccessible without special card effect; e.g. island makes you put something on island mat and then make you take it back at the end of the game or native village lets you put or take, but otherwise you cannot do anything with it. And I think that coins from pirate ship are on pirate ship mat, right?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 11:29:30 am »

I believe that everything on mats is totally inaccessible without special card effect; e.g. island makes you put something on island mat and then make you take it back at the end of the game or native village lets you put or take, but otherwise you cannot do anything with it. And I think that coins from pirate ship are on pirate ship mat, right?

I think so. I mean, if it wasn't that way, we could have used coin tokens from Pirate Ship in our buy phase all along. You can't simply take cards from your Native Village mat, either.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 11:31:06 am »

The Pirate Ship card doesn't tell you to put the coin tokens on the Pirate Ship mat. It just says "take a Coin token", same as what Baker says.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 11:35:20 am »

The Pirate Ship card doesn't tell you to put the coin tokens on the Pirate Ship mat. It just says "take a Coin token", same as what Baker says.

Really? Oh, okay. That surely isn't meant, but it's ugly.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 11:36:52 am »

Say, were older rules also with "She, the player"? I don't mind it, and i guess if most of the time it's "he", why shouldn't you use "she" from time to time. It DID surprise me, though.

Edit: I don't own the english rules.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:47:19 am by Asper »

Bron

• Steward
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 08:00:31 pm »

Oh.. I haven't even noticed that. That is a big fail. So I have checked rules explanations and at least there is specifically writen that pirate ship interacts only with pirate ship mat.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 10:15:51 pm »

I guess the answer to the question "Can you spend Coin tokens before and between playing Treasure cards, or only after?" is "Who cares, there's never any reason to spend Coin tokens till after you've played your Treasures."

Edge-case that.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 10:18:27 pm »
+2

Missleading for contraband.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 11:32:31 pm »

I thought about that, but I can't really see how it would help.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 02:05:14 am »

Play three coin tokens, then contraband.  Opponent thinks it's all the money you have (and you played the contraband last for some reason), and names gold.  You play a Silver, buy province.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 09:24:28 am »
+1

Play three coin tokens, then contraband.  Opponent thinks it's all the money you have (and you played the contraband last for some reason), and names gold.  You play a Silver, buy province.

How is this better than not paying the coin tokens until afterward? Your opponent knows how many coin tokens you have, regardless. And this way, if they do call your bluff and say Province, you've wasted two tokens that you could have saved for later.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 12:27:48 pm »

Poor Copper
$1 - Treasure
$4
-----
When you play this, reveal your hand.  -$1 for each treasure in your hand and in play.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 01:07:06 pm »

How is this better than not paying the coin tokens until afterward? Your opponent knows how many coin tokens you have, regardless. And this way, if they do call your bluff and say Province, you've wasted two tokens that you could have saved for later.

Maybe you want to influence their behavior and make them believe you've got enough for Province while you don't? Or vice versa. It's only mindgames, but wanting to know if they are allowed at all is certainly enough to refute "Who cares, there's never any reason to spend Coin tokens till after you've played your Treasures.".
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:08:21 pm by Asper »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.063 seconds with 21 queries.