Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Plaza/Draw-up-to-X  (Read 2535 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
Plaza/Draw-up-to-X
« on: June 13, 2013, 01:08:56 pm »

Looking at Plaza as an engine enabler

For reference:

Plaza
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Card. +2 Actions. You may discard a Treasure card. If you do, take a Coin token.

As soon as I saw Plaza I thought, that would go great in a Watchtower/Library discard-draw up to X deck, but it would certainly play differently than Hamlet or Festival, the traditional enablers of that sort of deck. It's probably going to work most like Fishing Village in that sort of deck where you need a source of +Buy. Also when it discards it is discarding at least a marginally useful card (probably a Copper) where Hamlets/Cellars/Warehouses will usually start by discarding your worst cards, your Curses/Victory cards. Probably at best a weak draw-up-to-X engine enabler.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
Re: Plaza/Draw-up-to-X
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 01:12:28 pm »

I think it's also a problem taht you only discard 1 card each time.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 01:32:03 pm »

You're right that isn't great, though I think it's not as big a problem as the fact that you'll end up with a fistful of your green cards. I think this card will need a small deck if it's going to be in a viable engine.

One neat trick you could do though is trash down to a single copper and once you've drawn your deck turn that single Copper into as many Coins as you have Plazas by constantly redrawing it.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:34:56 pm »

You're right that isn't great, though I think it's not as big a problem as the fact that you'll end up with a fistful of your green cards. I think this card will need a small deck if it's going to be in a viable engine.

One neat trick you could do though is trash down to a single copper and once you've drawn your deck turn that single Copper into as many Coins as you have Plazas by constantly redrawing it.

Doesn't need to be Copper.  You could get something useful like Gold.
Well you *do* need a signature...

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 01:44:47 pm »

Unfortunately that's not that many Coins, especially if the Plazas are contested. Might be good with TR/KC though as you'll redraw the Treasure mid-TR.

A bigger problem might be that you have to play half your Plazas just to draw your deck in the first place, and you might not get Coins for those if you only have one Treasure.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 01:46:49 pm »

I think it's also a problem taht you only discard 1 card each time.

Wouldn't call it a problem, really. Obvs it would be better with more discard, but even discarding one will give you the same hand size as playing a festival. The comparision between festival and plaza in a draw to x engine is pretty similar. Festival gives you an extra $, but it does cost $5, while plaza draws a card frist, giving a bit more consistency if you dont have a dense engine. Hamlet draws the card, but doesnt give $, but allows you to discard green, unlike plaza. Though hamlet's biggest benefit is how cheap it is for stockpiling.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 02:06:26 pm »

The plaza might work well with all sorts of things: minions, tacticians, draw whole deck turns, mints, spoils, even counting houses.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.