Dominion > Dominion Articles

Goons engine: Consistent 20 VP Chip each turn!

<< < (4/4)

fencingmonkey:

--- Quote from: iMystic on October 21, 2011, 08:38:35 pm ---And I learned that it is much slower than KC-Wharf +Goons+Scheme. It s not funny, it can just draw the whole deck every time, it doesn't even need golem. And it s very fast and easy to build. It s also able to end pile quick.

--- End quote ---

Nice! Except that it shouldn't work. Scheme is "if you discard" which means it doesn't apply to duration cards like Wharf, or cards that are currently modifying a duration card like KC. It would be super-powerful to be able to snag your KC/Wharf back into your hand after throwing it off which is why Scheme doesn't allow it. You could probably make it work; you'd need to have an expiring Wharf and a KC that was played on something else, either Goons or Scheme, which makes it a bit more finicky.

DG:
I'd run some simulations for Golem+scheme+action decks even before I saw this thread and they are quite strong in a simple form. I tested a number of variations against jack-of-all-trades+scheme, which is devilishly fast and faster without the golem, and golem+scheme+monument was a winner. A number of attack variations will be stronger as long as the kingdom doesn't contain a robust defence, such as the jack.

Zaphod:

--- Quote from: fencingmonkey on October 23, 2011, 12:36:21 pm ---
--- Quote from: iMystic on October 21, 2011, 08:38:35 pm ---And I learned that it is much slower than KC-Wharf +Goons+Scheme. It s not funny, it can just draw the whole deck every time, it doesn't even need golem. And it s very fast and easy to build. It s also able to end pile quick.

--- End quote ---

Nice! Except that it shouldn't work. Scheme is "if you discard" which means it doesn't apply to duration cards like Wharf, or cards that are currently modifying a duration card like KC. It would be super-powerful to be able to snag your KC/Wharf back into your hand after throwing it off which is why Scheme doesn't allow it. You could probably make it work; you'd need to have an expiring Wharf and a KC that was played on something else, either Goons or Scheme, which makes it a bit more finicky.

--- End quote ---

It works on a Wharf or King's Court that you played the turn before, that is still in play.  Isotropic differentiates duration cards as "old" or "new" for this reason.

A few days ago, I played a game with Scheme, Inn and Wharf in the set.  By the tenth turn, I was able to put an Inn and two Wharves back on top of my deck.  I managed to get a two-Province turn before my opponent resigned.  It was fun.  I wish I'd been allowed to finish it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version