Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Fan Expansion: Proletariat v2.3a  (Read 23975 times)

icesphere

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Expansion: Proletariat v2.3
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2012, 09:12:55 am »

Updated Fruit Merchant and Shepherd and added Trainee and City Planner on my website.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:31:22 pm by icesphere »

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Re: Fan Expansion: Proletariat v2.3
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2012, 05:59:25 pm »

Hmmm, I had initially thought city planner was OP, turns out i was wrong. Nice cards!

Saucery

• Thief
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Expansion: Proletariat v2.3a
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2012, 06:59:39 pm »

2.3a: Out of Season changed to increase cost by $1.

With Neutral cards the main design issue (without doing a bandaid clause) is preventing them from messing up the openings too badly - at least in a way that is too random.

play2draw

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2012, 12:14:04 am »

Oh my, I haven't seen this thread since before the 2.0 update. Such a great improvement and some neat ideas.

Just to clarify the rules for cattle tokens: can you cash them in while an action card is still being resolved? Something like:

- Play Cattle Farmer.
- Gain 3 Cattle Tokens.
----- Spend two Cattle Tokens; +1 card +1 action
- Look at the top card of your deck
- Discard it or put it back
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:19:19 am by play2draw »

Saucery

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2012, 08:02:08 pm »

Oh my, I haven't seen this thread since before the 2.0 update. Such a great improvement and some neat ideas.

Just to clarify the rules for cattle tokens: can you cash them in while an action card is still being resolved? Something like:

- Play Cattle Farmer.
- Gain 3 Cattle Tokens.
Nope, they are played just like cards are

play2draw

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2012, 11:08:53 pm »

- Play Cattle Farmer.
- Gain 3 Cattle Tokens.
Nope, they are played just like cards are

Okay... then I don't think Cattle Farm and Shepherd don't work as you intend in your description. With, for example, Cattle Farm, looking at the top card of your deck is supposed to help for when you play your Cattle Tokens... but I believe that, according to the original rules of Dominion, your action phase automatically ends when you cannot play any more action cards, so you need a village or an abundance of Cattle Tokens to actually get that benefit.

Saucery

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2012, 08:44:03 pm »

But if you have cattle tokens you can play more action cards so it wouldn't automatically end? There's nothing in there about 'when actions = 0'.

icesphere

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2012, 08:55:51 am »

Added Rancher to my website.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2012, 04:21:58 am »

Orchard - Victory - $3*
Worth 2 VP
When you buy this card, you may pay an additional $2. If you do, gain 2 fruit tokens.
Neat.
Goodwill - Treasure - $4
+$1
While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a fruit token.
Seems too good, but it's really borderline.  A point of concern is that one of Big Money/dead draw's weaknesses is hitting 5$ after it already has enough dead draw actions.  It has to buy a 5$ Silver with a wince.  When this card goes into a big money/dead draw deck or even a big money/terminal deck it allows great flexibility so the deck always hits 3$, 4$, 6$, or 8$.
Maybe when you buy a treasure you get a cattle and when you buy an action you get a fruit?  Haha.
Fruit Merchant - Action - $4
Gain a fruit token. You may discard up to 2 cards. Gain a fruit token per card discarded.
Seems too strong to me but definitely within testable range.  Horse Traders is underloved.
Shepherd - Action - $4*
+2 cards
Gain a Cattle token.
When you buy this card, you may pay an additional $2. If you do, gain 2 Cattle tokens.
Seems good.
City Planner - Action - $4*
+2 cards, +1 action
Discard a card.
When you buy this card, you may pay an additional $2. If you do, set aside a victory card from your hand, returning it to your deck at the end of the game.
Why limit it to victory cards?  That just increases variance, seems to me.  I hit 6$ and have a curse in my hand.  Jimmy hits 6$ and has an Estate in his hand.  Why punish me?
Mulching Machine - Action-Reaction - $4*
+1 card
Choose one: +1 action, or trash a card from your hand and gain a fruit token.
When you gain a card, you may discard this card. If you do, trash the gained card and gain a fruit token.
When you buy this card, you may pay an additional $3. If you do, trash any number of cards from your hand. Gain fruit tokens equal to the number of cards trashed.
This seems like it punishes cursing so much that no one goes into curse strategies.  3 Curse discouragements in one card seems a bit much.
Plantation - Action - $5
+1 card, +1 action
Gain 1 fruit token. For every fruit token played this turn, Plantation costs $1 less.
Seemed overpowered until I thought about it awhile.  It's kind of like Conspirator in that when you try to play it's strategy, you keep hitting way more money than necessary to buy the 1-card engine card, so you go ahead and buy other stuff anyway.
Cattle Farm- Action - $5
Gain 3 Cattle tokens. Look at the top card of your deck. Discard it or put it back.
Seems testable

I ended up tiring of commenting but I'll post as far as I got.  (I did read them all.  And I love botanical gardens)

Saucery

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2012, 06:49:19 pm »

Reply:
- Orchard works fine but I'm thinking of an additional action or reaction effect which generates fruit (without leaving your hand, so rancher/other cards can make use of it)
- Having playtested Goodwill a fair bit, it is a consistently strong purchase on many boards. Not convinced it should be bumped to 5 just yet. It has spiral out of control potential with +buys.
- City Planner, and some of the other cards, are designed to work well with spare (victory) cards in your deck. I agree with your point though, it probably should work on any card.
- Mulching Machine hasn't been tested much. The fact that multiple mulchers don't necessarily collide is probably a bigger problem. Regarding its effects, the first two can't occur together, limiting the total trashing you can achieve, and the third is quite difficult to pull off. Thinking of replacing the second effect with something similar to secret chamber (so you can rearrange the top cards of your deck and draw them using MM or cattle tokens)
- The others (Shepherd, Fruit Merchant, Cattle Farm, Plantation) have all been tested thoroughly and I'm happy with them as they are now.

Other thoughts:
- Rancher ranges from very strong to too expensive. Very often it will be too late in the game to buy one as the opponent is already working on provinces. Other times you can buy one and have 3+ cards in hand to gain another one.
-Refugee Camp strikes me as underpowered on many boards with niche strength vs discarding attacks.
- Predictably, the Botanical Gardens pile has a tendency to empty very fast. Not necessarily a bad thing.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 07:15:24 pm by Saucery »

ratxt1

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2012, 11:54:46 pm »

Mulching Machine - Action-Reaction - $4*
+1 card
Choose one: +1 action, or trash a card from your hand and gain a fruit token.
When you gain a card, you may discard this card. If you do, trash the gained card and gain a fruit token.
When you buy this card, you may pay an additional $3. If you do, trash any number of cards from your hand. Gain fruit tokens equal to the number of cards trashed.
This seems like it punishes cursing so much that no one goes into curse strategies.  3 Curse discouragements in one card seems a bit much.

how is discouraging cursing a bad thing? they're are next to no cards that discourage cursing and none that do it really effectivly (except for maybe ambassador with decent support). also this card doesn't really discourage cursing that much, it has a weak watchtower effect (watchtower is only semi-effective anyways) it has a trashing effect when played which isn't really a discourager since it's so little trashing and trashing isn't that effective anyway. And it has a trash on buy which is actually quite good agianst cursing but it's only on buy and you can't trash money with it (Well you could but since the cards have to be in your hand you are giving up on a province). in general this card seems like a slightly better version of watchtower (which is fine since it costs one more), it has more utility in general and some nice trashing for fruit tokens (which is a really cool mechanic), but isn't as good in a lot of the areas watchtower shines.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2012, 06:36:38 am »

It's best if you design cards so that you have to think hard about whether you want cursing, and how much you want given that there's punishment on the board.  There's no card in Dominion that punishes cursing so much you don't even think about touching a curser because that's the point, you want people to think, thinking is good. 

Young Witch is a good example of how evaluating how easy a curse attack is to defend can be a good, interesting thing.

Jack of all Trades + Lighthouse versus Sea Hag is an example of how a curser can be punished so strongly that no one is going to think about touching the pile, so you're now playing with a 9 card kingdom.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2013, 07:29:36 am »
+2

Wow. Given what we now know about Guilds this fan expansion is looking very prescient....

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2126
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2013, 10:36:32 pm »

Goodwill seems perfect for Guilds (possibly with +1 buy). It's a very interesting variant of bridge.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2013, 04:16:27 am »

Environmental Degradation - Neutral
If there is 1 empty supply pile, Cards with the same name can only be played 3 times per turn.
If there are 2 empty supply piles, Cards with the same name can only be played 2 times per turn.

City just became terrible. I guess that's thematic?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2013, 11:53:56 am »

Bump for relevance.

Saucery

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2013, 10:36:28 am »

I've been out of the loop of this game for ages. Guilds is surreal O_O!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.