Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cultist, chapel, no villages, colony game  (Read 2236 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Cultist, chapel, no villages, colony game
« on: June 10, 2013, 06:29:08 am »

What is your strategy in the following kingdom ?
Chapel, Develop, Fortune Teller, Alchemist, Bishop, Marauder, Moneylender, Scout, Cultist, Bank (with colonies)

(I know, scout, but what else ?)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Cultist, chapel, no villages, colony game
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:18:25 am »

Scout is obviously dominant, especially after Chapeling away your starting Estates. I mean, who doesn't love to rearrange the card-order of his next hand?

Joking aside, I'd open either Chapel/Silver or Chapel/Cultist, but would prioritize playing the Chapel early on (not doing so in a recent game with Chapel and YW against Stef taught me a valuable lesson...). If you didn't get lucky on your opening, I would pick up a Cultist asap and then more Cultists and even more Cultists, as in trim decks they are even more devastating than usual since you can play all your Cultists each turn.

Once your opponent's deck is filled with ruins, start buying Golds and Provinces for the easy win.

If your opponent mirrors, shuffle luck will determine whose deck will be the junkiest (with Cultist this can become very lopsided very fast), and I don't think the loser of that war has much if any prospects.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:26:31 pm »

I would definitely Chapel into Alchs and go either for a consistent drawing deck with some treasures and a Bank or a pseudo Golden Deck. Ruins-giving (ruining?) is quite hard to ignore and I might consider opening Marauder, though having not played with these cards that often, Marauder might be a poor combination with Chapel since it introduces cards into your deck that you don't want to get rid of.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 04:56:24 pm »

Thanks for your answers.
In this game, my opponent opened Marauder/Chapel, I think he took too many terminals and his strategy wasn't good at all.
But mine was even worse. I thought that chapel wouldn't worth it because it's not an engine board, and chapel/BM is quite weak usually.

So I decided to go for Cultist - Big money with some banks (opening Marauder/silver because I thought that early ruin-giving was important). It turned out to be an awful idea, especially because I went for colonies (provinces would have been a much better option).

Still, I'm not very convinced by chapel here...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 04:58:07 pm »

Chapel isn't great for big money, but it helps against junking, and more important, it actually is relatively good for BM with colonies (well, it's much better for engines with colonies, but if there isn't an engine possible...)

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 05:09:53 pm »
+1

It's a colony game with junking. I'm 100% sure that Chapel is an integral component of the optimal strategy here.

I'd guess the straightforward thing is to open chapel/silver, then build up a Cultist stack, buy money, clear out coppers/estates/ruins, get platinums, buy colonies. I'm pretty sure that'll beat anything that doesn't have Chapel.

I don't know whether it would necessarily beat an alchemist stack (since that can play Chapel every turn to keep clearing out junk, whereas cultists will draw the chapel dead all the time, and can swap in a Bishop later on for a few spare points).

I also don't know whether Chapel/Marauder might be better than Chapel/Silver.

But I don't think chapel is skippable at all.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 08:40:36 pm »

Is a Golden Deck playable here, or do the Ruins hurt too much?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 09:23:41 pm »

The ruins hurt too much, I think. Golden Deck gets messed up pretty badly by junking attacks.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 10:17:23 pm »

The ruins hurt too much, I think. Golden Deck gets messed up pretty badly by junking attacks.

Though a Cultist-BM player would have to be careful to not give out all 10 Ruins too quickly, since once that happens, the Golden Deck can trash down and run on all cylinders. Plus, the Golden Deck can maybe not buy Provinces here, instead trying to outlast the Cultist deck by buying and trashing Golds instead. How long would it take Cultist-BM to get to 8 Provinces?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.