Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Goons board-What went wrong?  (Read 1939 times)

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
Goons board-What went wrong?
« on: June 07, 2013, 05:00:49 pm »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130606/log.512fe24ce4b08cb66ebe7d7f.1370547508049.txt

Well, I was playing this game and lost. Was pretty much crushed. It was a goons board, and it was very possible to go for a mega turn or simply play many Goons at once. I'm really not sure what went wrong- should I have not begun a three pile near the beginning? Did I go for Marauder too late? Maybe it was the 7-3 Ironmonger split, as suggested be Lesputere.
I'm very inexperienced with Goons, any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:04:13 pm by StrongRhino »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Goons board-What went wrong?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 10:01:34 pm »
+1

It's not easy here to play many goons at once. The hand size is a big problem and the card to improve your draws to get the better hand is the ironmonger. The way to prevent your opponent getting a good hand is the marauder so perhaps you can open with that? Not sure. As it worked out, you took a quarry because the goons seemed more important and then play the marauder instead of goons on turn 8.

When you buy the marauder your deck can't support a third terminal. It could be another quarry or an ironmonger. Turn 10 you buy the haggler when it could have been ironmonger + market square (which are as good as the gains you'd get later from that haggler). You discard a quarry on turn 11 and it's too important a card for you to do that. You could also have lost due to some first player advantage and Lespeutere's strong turn 9.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 10:12:43 pm »

It's not easy here to play many goons at once. The hand size is a big problem and the card to improve your draws to get the better hand is the ironmonger. The way to prevent your opponent getting a good hand is the marauder so perhaps you can open with that? Not sure. As it worked out, you took a quarry because the goons seemed more important and then play the marauder instead of goons on turn 8.

When you buy the marauder your deck can't support a third terminal. It could be another quarry or an ironmonger. Turn 10 you buy the haggler when it could have been ironmonger + market square (which are as good as the gains you'd get later from that haggler). You discard a quarry on turn 11 and it's too important a card for you to do that. You could also have lost due to some first player advantage and Lespeutere's strong turn 9.
Thank you.
I wasn't really sure what to focus on honestly. I might have been able to support those terminals, had I gotten more ironmongers, which seemed important.
Thanks again, I probably do need to focus more on what I'm doing, and not other stuff.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 02:33:45 am »
+4

Just add to the importance of the Ironmonger here:
This board does have no trashing, it has 'cursing', and there is no unconditional way to increase you handsize.  So  that is not a board where you expect to get a hand featuring many Goons for a megaturn.

But Ironmonger works really strong if all you want is finding your Goons. Ignoring reshuffles, what does it do?
When you hit Copper, it works like a Lab. You draw two cards, second of it was a Copper, and you get the $1 that Copper would give you if it would really end up in your hand. OK, you discard it, but who cares?
When you hit Victory, it works like doubleLab. Including the Victory, you draw 3 cards. Again, you discard the Victory, but again who cares.
If you draw Action, it's a Village. Not great for $4, but you need Villages anyway, so it's not that bad.
If you draw a Ruins, they are still Actions, so now you have an activated City. With discarded Ruins, who cares?
Quarry and Spoils are bad draws, but there are not that much of them.

You still end up having quite small hands, but the cards you draw a much better, and with 7 Ironmonger there is a great chance that this will filter some great hands. And as card draw was the limiting factor on this board, this is really important, even if you don't build up for the real megaturn,  just having two Goons collide is much better than having just one.

Edit: s/Marauder/Ironmonger/g
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:40:44 am by DStu »

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 02:59:30 am »

Edit: s/Marauder/Ironmonger/g

I really like advice in the form of commands, nice.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 06:13:21 am »
+1

This doesn't look like a "Goons board" to me (unless by that you just mean that the board has Goons on it), since there is no reliable way to play two of them, let alone more. In fact, playing two happened only once in a collective total of 37 turns.

This means that I would definitely make Provinces my main source of VP here. I probably open Marauder/Silver as I don't think getting a quick Goons is super important, and pick up a Quarry on T3 or 4, though I wouldn't mind reversing Quarry and Marauder. What I absolutely don't understand is why you get all those Market Squares. I wouldn't want a single one of them here, and always pick up a Silver instead. At least in the early game, where your economy still sucks (and keeps sucking if you buy MS) and the +buy is a complete waste.

Maybe you wanted to increase your action density for Ironmonger, but spending $3 on an action to increase the probability that your $4 Ironmongers work more or less like a vanilla Village sounds like pure craziness to me. Besides, there is Farming Village if you really want those +actions.

I don't think Ironmongers are that great here either. I would pick up a bunch of them in the mid game because I don't want my opponent getting more than 6, but early on I would definitely prefer Silver.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 06:22:01 am »

I think the Market Squares are for extra Goons buys. Still, you don't really want to be buying Copper on a single-Goons turn, unless there's Gardens, Watchtower or Trader.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.