Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: I quit for the first time today...  (Read 10456 times)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
Re: I quit for the first time today...
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 06:13:47 pm »
+1

I think, ash, that I would have been ok with your decision based on the information you had available at the time, but would now hope you'd stick it out until the end of the game, despite P1's behavior.

Correct, if I were in the same position again, I would not resign, knowing it forces the game to end.

However, the bigger lesson learned from this experience is:

Never play games with more than one opponent, unless I know them.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 06:19:53 pm »
+1

Two alternative explanations for p1's behaviour:

1. He didn't realize that playing Possession out of P2's hand would give P2 control, rather than himself.
2. He was just on auto-pilot and played what was available instead of actually thinking it through.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 06:21:20 pm »

1. He didn't realize that playing Possession out of P2's hand would give P2 control, rather than himself.
2. He was just on auto-pilot and played what was available instead of actually thinking it through.

I asked why he did it.  He responded that it was to stop me from winning by allowing P2 to win.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 06:22:10 pm »

Other option for P1 playing Possession while possessing P2 is lack of rules knowledge or a miss click.

Edit: Ninja'ed.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 06:24:54 pm »

I asked why he did it.  He responded that it was to stop me from winning by allowing P2 to win.

Oh.  Well, that's it then.  What a jerk!

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 06:26:28 pm »

I feel for ashersky, I've seen that kind of king making in 3 player dominion quite a bit.  It takes a lot of the fun out of the game for me and is the reason I don't ever play 3 player games.  I do play quite a bit IRL with friends and typically the goal is too keep me from winning.  I understand that you don't want to ruin the game for the other players, but I'd have a hard time staying after seeing something like that. 

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 06:34:16 pm »
+2

A better analogy would be a 3-player game with real life friends.  It's nearing the end of the game and I'm clearly losing.  I concede, allowing them to finish the game, and go make nachos for the group.  I just did the online version of game night nacho making, but for an ulterior motive.
It was real life that finally made me understand why people don't like Goons - I was playing 2 skilled friends, but when I got my unstoppable Goons engine set up first, they humored me for a few turns and then asked if we could just quit and say I won. We did, and everyone was happier.

I think, ash, that I would have been ok with your decision based on the information you had available at the time, but would now hope you'd stick it out until the end of the game, despite P1's behavior.

I think the common frustration with Goons is more related to the number of boards that are first-Goons-wins or close to it, and the number of boards that aren't but still have no viable strategy besides infinite engine building with Goons. They also tend to lead to unpredictable megaturns, where the first player to luck into playing all his Goons at once takes a commanding lead and easily ends the game.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 09:29:23 pm »
+4

Next time, you might want to lead off with this, seems kinda relevant.

That's certainly pretty douchey of him. I think resigning and posting about it here is pretty silly, but certainly a lot less so than before I read the above post.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 10:23:13 pm »
+2

As he possesses P2, he plays his possession, saying that I was on my way to win.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 10:33:45 pm »
+1

As he possesses P2, he plays his possession, saying that I was on my way to win.
That's not really the same.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 11:33:49 pm »

The story seems to be evolving to fit the OP's argument.  Just stick it out for a couple extra minutes and finish the game next time.
-The Compulsive Completist
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.