Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Options for playing Dominion across large distances  (Read 2055 times)

Illuminati

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Options for playing Dominion across large distances
« on: June 08, 2013, 05:17:17 pm »

To play with my friends at my city I can just meet them and play with the cards.
But, what options do law abiding citizens have to play Dominion across large distances?

One would be to play at Goko.

Alternativelly, since we both have the cards we could setup replicas of the game and tell each other what we are doing using a phone line. Some trust would be involved here.
Same could be done across IRC.

I guess another option would be to have a 3rd person setup the game. We tell that person what our actions are and he enacts them and verifies them making sure we do only actions allowed by the rules and tells us the state of the game of which each of us is aware. Maybe help with some cameras, microphones and speakers.

So far it is only people playing with legally purchased cards communicating through phones or the net. I guess this is all allowed but I am no lawyer.

The next step would be to substitute the 3rd person by an automated system which performs the same task as said person. No images and no card text here. Only an IRC-like window where you type (or click) "I play a copper" or "I buy a village" and you get written messages in the style of "You draw a village and 4 coppers" or "John plays a millitia"

But I have doubts about the legality of such last arrangement.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Options for playing Dominion across large distances
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 05:19:53 pm »

Skype probably better than IRC or phone line.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:00:57 pm »

I guess Skype should be totally fine; you each set up your own copy of the game, but instead of your opponent's deck you just have a pile of cards that they own, because it doesn't matter what order it is. You can see each other shuffling/drawing/&c. and I presume that if you are friends, you will trust each other not to cheat anyway. You can narrate the turns in detail as you go, if the video quality isn't good enough.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 06:39:45 am »

So far it is only people playing with legally purchased cards communicating through phones or the net. I guess this is all allowed but I am no lawyer.

The next step would be to substitute the 3rd person by an automated system which performs the same task as said person. No images and no card text here. Only an IRC-like window where you type (or click) "I play a copper" or "I buy a village" and you get written messages in the style of "You draw a village and 4 coppers" or "John plays a millitia"

But I have doubts about the legality of such last arrangement.

If you wanted to go to that effort it would be totally fine.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 06:43:00 am »
+4

This is the first thread that makes me really fond of Goko.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 10:08:08 am »
+10

In order to avoid Goko, I employ a third party to mail a hand to me and my opponent.  We then mail back our moves and the third party mails back the result.

So let's say the arbiter mails me a Lab and four Coppers.  I open the envelope, put the lab in a new envelope and send it to the arbiter, who then sends me the two drawn cards--he keeps the physical copy of Lab because I don't need it any longer.  I then send my whole hand back with my buy orders.

I recommend only doing this within national borders, though, as air mail can be slower than you might like.

I'm often able to finish a game in as little as eighteen months, and for only around $80 in postage between the players.  But unlike Goko, I can play several games at a time thus way!  I'm about two years into a crazy Mountebank slog, but I'm pretty certain my opponent has a Mountebank in hand; just wait until he opens his mail a and sees the note that it was blocked by the Curse I'm holding!

Edit: if you really don't trust the mail, just use a courier as your arbiter.  It will also be faster, as the arbiter/courier will be able to fly back and forth between you and your opponent, and you can take the courier out for coffee and try to get him to accidentally slip and tell you something about your opponent's hand!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:13:42 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 10:48:29 am »

But you can play multiple games at a time on Goko.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 11:02:41 am »
+1

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 09:17:30 pm »
+1

In order to avoid Goko, I employ a third party to mail a hand to me and my opponent.  We then mail back our moves and the third party mails back the result.

So let's say the arbiter mails me a Lab and four Coppers.  I open the envelope, put the lab in a new envelope and send it to the arbiter, who then sends me the two drawn cards--he keeps the physical copy of Lab because I don't need it any longer.  I then send my whole hand back with my buy orders.

I recommend only doing this within national borders, though, as air mail can be slower than you might like.

I'm often able to finish a game in as little as eighteen months, and for only around $80 in postage between the players.  But unlike Goko, I can play several games at a time thus way!  I'm about two years into a crazy Mountebank slog, but I'm pretty certain my opponent has a Mountebank in hand; just wait until he opens his mail a and sees the note that it was blocked by the Curse I'm holding!

Edit: if you really don't trust the mail, just use a courier as your arbiter.  It will also be faster, as the arbiter/courier will be able to fly back and forth between you and your opponent, and you can take the courier out for coffee and try to get him to accidentally slip and tell you something about your opponent's hand!

This sounds like a fun way to play a Scrying Pool / Spy / Secret Chamber game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.