Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Librarian: A quick card idea inspired by Advisor  (Read 2485 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
Librarian: A quick card idea inspired by Advisor
« on: June 14, 2013, 08:36:12 pm »
+1

Librarian:
Action - $4
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. The player to your left chooses any number of cards to discard.
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: Librarian: A quick card idea inspired by Advisor
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:00:11 pm »

Does he choose specific cards for you to discard, or just specify the number of discards?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:05:40 pm »

Does he choose specific cards for you to discard, or just specify the number of discards?

The former. How do I word it better?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:28:04 pm »

"Reveal your hand. The player to your left may choose a card from your hand. If they do, discard that card and do this again.
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand."

"Reveal your hand and discard zero or more cards that the player to your left chooses.
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand."

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 09:11:34 am »

The former. How do I word it better?

I liked the other one, too ;)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 10:17:36 am »

Librarian:
Action - $4
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. The player to your left chooses any number of cards for you to discard.

That's the only change I would make. I think the wording is otherwise fine.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 10:22:26 am »

Librarian:
Action - $4
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. The player to your left chooses any number of cards for you to discard.

That's the only change I would make. I think the wording is otherwise fine.

I don't. Without the clarification i would absolutely have played this as "The player to your left chooses any number. Discard that number of cards."

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:24:14 am »

Seems fairly weak anyway, weaker than Advisor for me (because the non-stacking makes it have a lot less self-synergy), although it combos pretty well with disappearing money or even cantrip money. Maybe at $3? Or put something else on it, like +Buy?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 11:16:07 am »

Seems fairly weak anyway, weaker than Advisor for me (because the non-stacking makes it have a lot less self-synergy), although it combos pretty well with disappearing money or even cantrip money. Maybe at $3? Or put something else on it, like +Buy?

True. Even with the other wording he wouldn't let you discard anything with a terrible hand and everything with a great one. On mediocre hands the meant reading is very restrictive and even worse than a normal bad hand. It's like self-attacking. The other reading is likely best at mediocre hands, though your opponent may still simply tell you to discard nothing.

I'd change it to the other version and maybe(!) give it a minimum of 1, so he'll never let you discard nothing (which seems like the best option for your opponent most of the time). This should buff it.

Librarian:
Action - $4
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. The player to your left names a number greater than 0. Discard that number of cards.

Edit: On the other hand, that might be as good as Lab quite often.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:19:36 am by Asper »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 01:47:55 pm »

Reveal tour hand. Your opponent chooses any number of the revealed cards to discard.

This wording has the opponent explicitly doing the discard, which should be clearer.

I think it is strong in decks where draw-to-x is strong. Better than watchtower and library in that case, because it can use up cards, draw up, then repeat as it is non-terminal.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 01:57:57 pm »

Reveal tour hand. Your opponent chooses any number of the revealed cards to discard.

This wording has the opponent explicitly doing the discard, which should be clearer.

It isn't and also has issues with Tunnel.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 02:01:57 pm »

It isn't and also has issues with Tunnel.

Ok then:

Reveal your hand. Your opponent chooses which cards for you to discard.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 03:08:27 pm »

I think it is strong in decks where draw-to-x is strong. Better than watchtower and library in that case, because it can use up cards, draw up, then repeat as it is non-terminal.

Watchtower is really weak if we don't consider the reaction. Library is not amazing, but fine. However, this discard thing will make your deck need to rely completely on action-money, because most likely all your good Treasures are going to be discarded. Hamlet+Library, on the other hand, can just fish for the Treasures until you get those two Golds in Hand, behaving more like a sifting combo than a money-generating engine. This new card is really bad for sifting, and its only good when you can use all or most of your good cards before playing the card. With non-terminal action money on the board, could be strong, but that's not that common. I think it may be a fair $4, although I would test it with a +Buy, or maybe "reveal your hand except one card", which will make it more useful when there is no disappearing money, to keep at least one good Treasure.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 03:40:32 pm »

I think its problem lies with placing a complex strategic burden on the player to your left. It's only slightly worse than "+1 action, draw to 6", and can be better if the player to your left makes a "mistake". Unlike Envoy and Advisor, where there's usually an obvious choice of which card to discard, every card you discard with this gets "cellar'd", so it's up to that player to determine whether discarding a certain card is worth it given the potential quality of a card that would be drawn in its place. Leaving behind dead cards is a no brainer, while discarding the player's only copy of a key action card is similarly simple, but there's a lot of grey areas in the middle. It does ask a lot of the player to the left's knowledge of your deck.

There wouldn't be too much AP in any given game since this card doesn't stack very well, but it's definitely an "advanced" card.

On the other hand, "+1 action, draw to 6" on its own is probably in too good for 4, not good enough for 5 territory as a guess. Then again, I assume much of the value of Lab comes from stacking.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.71 seconds with 21 queries.