Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Trinkets: Replacements for Starting Copper  (Read 8448 times)

jbrecken

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
Re: Trinkets: Replacements for Starting Copper
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 04:03:30 pm »

You could try something like, "When this card is not in play, treat it as though it were a Copper."  That would fix most of the problems with differently named cards, but Rare Coin would need some kind of special wording since its fun stuff only happens when it's not in play.

itchiko

• Baron
  • Hear me roar
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 05:08:48 pm »

What about at start of the game each player as its own pile of the 6 trinkets and pick two:
option A: First player draw 2 randomly, other player take the same ones.
option B: Everybody secretly choose 2 from its own pile.

I think having 3 estate, 5 coppers, 1 trinket A, 1 trinket B
should be a good enough amount of duplicate cards to avoid Cornucopia cards to go crazy stupid with the names. Of course there is the case were all 3 estates are also shelters and you still have only 5 duplicates in the deck so it remains to be seen if it'enough to avoid menagerie getting way overboard.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 11:29:10 pm »

After much deliberation, I have decided that in 2 player games, each player still only gets 2 Trinkets. I think this balances Locket (and keeps with its intention of discouraging trashing), and all the "variety" based cards. Forager is the biggest concern, but I think that it will be balanced and interesting, even as it's game warpingly dominant, as each player has a unique opportunity to add to the value of the foragers with their own trinkets.

Bell was the hardest decision of all the trinkets, so I'm not surprised it's one of the most criticised. I didn't want any of the trinkets to be "worse" than copper, and there's more terminal drawers than "draw up to X" cards, so +1 action would be worse more often than not. +2 actions will give a big advantage on some boards, but not on others, and the way it interacts with terminal draw cards is interesting (and probably neutral). It will be an immense advantage in cantrip+terminal boards with no other villages, but it might not be the best strategy on the board for the other players with their trinkets.

Dagger's purpose is the self trashing, but I didn't want that to be triggerable in every game, so I gave it the moat thing. The blocking's a good way of making it count more in games with trashing.

I might make Key to the City "+$2 for each empty pile", but it's meant to just be a nice little bonus for holding onto the Copper.

One thing I like about "Locket" is that there may be some strategy in keeping it hidden (now that you only get 2 trinkets) to trick the other player into ending the game on a loss. You could even hide one of the other trinkets to bluff it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 11:31:04 pm »

Alternative to Locket

Locket - $0
Treasure/Victory/Trinket
$1
---
Worth 1VP for every 2 Treasures not named Copper, Silver or Gold in your deck (rounded down).

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 09:53:46 pm »
+2

With the advent of baker, I think it's good to add this trinket to the mix:

Guild Ring
Treasure/Trinket - $0
Worth $0
When you play this, take a Coin Token (From Dominion: Guilds)

It means that you can open 1/6, and in games with Baker, open Poor House/Forge (or Poor House/King's Court, but that wouldn't be a very good opening). Maybe it's a bit strong compared to the other trinkets (which can be useless depending on the board). Also, it's the only trinket that requires a certain expansion

In fact, never mind. The original 6 are fine.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 01:13:33 am »

Yeah, making it grant coin tokens would be way better than a Copper.  As a kingdom card, I would probably start testing it at $3.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 08:18:11 am »

Bell
Action/Trinket - $0
+2 Actions
+$1
Probably the most powerful Trinket. Interesting that it's an Action and not a Treasure. But completely unfair if it's a board that would be great for an engine except there's no Villages; the player who gets this probably automatically wins. Especially if there's something like TR or KC.

If there's TR or KC, you don't need Villages to build an engine - Throne Room on any non-terminal will do fine. Even if every other card is terminal, KC/KC/+Cards/... can produce megaturns with enough trashing.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 09:25:00 pm »

Toy Bridge leads to some truly insane openings with Stonemason, which I'm ok with, but I didn't intend for any of these trinkets to seriously affect the opening.

With Toy Bridge, you can open Stonemason/Nomad Camp/Nomad Camp//Stonemason*2/Peddler*5

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 10:01:36 pm »

Guild Ring
Treasure/Trinket - $0
Worth $0

It means that you can open 1/6, and in games with Baker, open Poor House/Forge (or Poor House/King's Court, but that wouldn't be a very good opening). Maybe it's a bit strong compared to the other trinkets (which can be useless depending on the board). Also, it's the only trinket that requires a certain expansion

Discard a card from your hand.  If you do, take a Coin token?
Well you *do* need a signature...

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 11:37:58 pm »

Guild Ring
Treasure/Trinket - $0
Worth $0

Discard a card from your hand.  If you do, take a Coin token?

It doesn't quite function as a copper if it's like that. I want all these cards to essentially function as coppers, but with a minor bonus that comes up later in the game.

If candlestick maker turns out to be one of the worst $2 cards (which it won't), then maybe giving a coin token would make an OK trinket.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.852 seconds with 22 queries.