Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Plan: Lose the War  (Read 1007 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Plan: Lose the War
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:56:00 pm »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130607/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1370647015158.txt

Ambassador, Village, Baron, Gardens, Navigator, Ghost Ship, Merchant Ship, Mine, Rogue, Trading Post

I always like to try to use pseudo-counters to overcome ambassador. Here, I saw an opportunity for baron and gardens to come together to that end. I still felt that I would probably just get snowballed under if I went straight for that, though, so I decided to put up a little bit of an ambassador fight, but not commit all of my resources to it, so that by the time I lost the deck-size war, I would have enough other assets to be in good shape.

So, this was probably not a good idea. Turn 12 or so, I am pretty sure I am lost. His deck is just much thinner than mine, and mine is not coming along very well at all. But you have to put these things away properly, and ambassador is really tricky there, too. He probably wants a baron at some point, for the buy. And he gets this, and it feels awkward, which, well, it probably has to. But his big problem is getting too many silvers. He really didn't need this many - three was plenty. He ends up with seven, but this just gives him too much of a chance to get his chains broken, which eventually happens. And my deck is good enough that, with that little sliver, I'm back in. I jump at the province opportunity I get, and head into the gardens hard. At this point, he flounders a bit, and it turns into a little bit of an ugly blowout, but I feel like I had a little bit of a grip anyway at that point, just from a little slip up. Ambassador can be rough, man.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Plan: Lose the War
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 04:01:10 pm »

I don't get it, why don't you just hammer Barons and Gardens right from the start? Drab will have a hell of a time getting to 8 Provinces and his deck is in no shape to fight yours. Ghost Ship is laughable if you have a ton of Barons.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:03:32 pm by dondon151 »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Plan: Lose the War
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 04:08:13 pm »

I don't get it, why don't you just hammer Barons and Gardens right from the start? Drab will have a hell of a time getting to 8 Provinces and his deck is in no shape to fight yours. Ghost Ship is laughable if you have a ton of Barons.
Maybe it works. But the thought was that he will thin very quickly while hitting me with some junk. Then I have to decide what order to get barons and gardens in. 2 barons then gardens? 3? And in the meantime, he gets one, builds a big engine with villages and ghost ships, and heads to the provinces. I have a heck of a time emptying piles, because I am working with 3 card hands all the time. Sure, I can get a gardens whenever I have a baron-estate collision. But because I will only have 3 card hands all the time, he can actually flood me with copper pretty hard, too - most of my key cards cost $4. He should have plenty of time to get at least most of the provinces (6 shouldn't be that much of a problem I think, in all honesty), and then come back and block the last gardens or two maybe. And my gardens will be big, but not *that* big. I mean, we can try it, but I expect this to work out for the ambassador player.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.507 seconds with 22 queries.