Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: When you can spend your tokens  (Read 9840 times)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: When you can spend your tokens
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 02:53:50 am »

There are plenty of instances (in addition to Doctor) where you gain new information after buying a card which influences whether or not you would want to spend more tokens to buy a second card.

* you buy a Ruin, revealing the next one

I may never have played Dark Ages before, but even I can see coin tokens (or lack thereof) won't make any difference to your ability to buy a second ruin.

It could affect your ability to buy something other than a second Ruin. That is, you buy a Ruin, revealing the next one, and that makes you say, oh, I'd rather use my second buy on something else.

So your initial plan was to buy two ruins, not knowing what the second one was? Really?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 03:02:22 am »

There are plenty of instances (in addition to Doctor) where you gain new information after buying a card which influences whether or not you would want to spend more tokens to buy a second card.

I may never have played Dark Ages before, but even I can see coin tokens (or lack thereof) won't make any difference to your ability to buy a second ruin.

It could affect your ability to buy something other than a second Ruin. That is, you buy a Ruin, revealing the next one, and that makes you say, oh, I'd rather use my second buy on something else.

So your initial plan was to buy two ruins, not knowing what the second one was? Really?

No, your plan is to buy a Ruined Market and then either a second Ruined Market or a Gardens.  If the second Ruins is not the Market, then you spend your coin tokens and get the Gardens. But if the Ruined Market shows, you want to secure the +Buy and you can save some coin tokens.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 03:07:14 am »

With 1/5 odds of the second ruin being the market, I'll spend the coin tokens either way.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 03:11:02 am »

Unless I've missed the point again... the examples are when it would be beneficial to be able to spend coin tokens even after buying a card.  So the scenario is, you prefer a specific Ruin over another card over the other Ruins.  For example, maybe you want the extra +Buy from Ruined Markets but have no real desire for the other Ruins, and you also want Gardens.  It doesn't look like you opponent is mirroring so you'd prefer RM over Gardens.  So you'd prefer to get a second RM, but if the next Ruin isn't a RM then you'd like to spend your tokens and get the Gardens.

Ramble ramble.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 10:05:37 am »

I may never have played Dark Ages before, but even I can see coin tokens (or lack thereof) won't make any difference to your ability to buy a second ruin. Although, I'm sure there is a situation where it would matter. I declare this thread an edge case thread. Gogogogo!

Maybe I only have one buy left, and I'd prefer to gain that Ruin via purchasing a Death Cart or a Border Village.  (Probably Death Cart is more likely)
Well you *do* need a signature...

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 06:16:47 pm »

No, your plan is to buy a Ruined Market and then either a second Ruined Market or a Gardens.  If the second Ruins is not the Market, then you spend your coin tokens and get the Gardens. But if the Ruined Market shows, you want to secure the +Buy and you can save some coin tokens.

I don't know about you, but my plan was to buy two differently-named Ruins to boost my Fairgrounds to 8VP, but it turns out the second Ruin is the same as the first one so I guess I should have cashed in some coin tokens to be able to afford that Moat instead.

...No, I don't think I'll be reshuffling again before the end of the game, why do you ask?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 06:46:00 pm »

I don't know about you, but my plan was to buy two differently-named Ruins to boost my Fairgrounds to 8VP, but it turns out the second Ruin is the same as the first one so I guess I should have cashed in some coin tokens to be able to afford that Moat instead.

...No, I don't think I'll be reshuffling again before the end of the game, why do you ask?

That's probably a better one. :P
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.584 seconds with 20 queries.