Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Legal question: putting Archivist on Goko  (Read 1756 times)

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
Legal question: putting Archivist on Goko
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:59:56 pm »

Obviously this is a hypothetical, but I figured people here were knowledgeable about board game issues. When the Archivist card was put on Iso, the guy who ran the site just asked Donald X and got his approval because it was free to play. Now that Goko has the official license and is running a business, how much extra red tape would that add?
Would they still be able to add cards to the site (that just cost shields, coins, or zaps, not official Goko Fakebux) with his consent, or would the affiliation with the Dominion trademark mean that RGG has to approve anything they do?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Legal question: putting Archivist on Goko
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:18:54 pm »

It depends on their contract, of which we know very little.  But I believe that Goko cannot just add their own created cards without permission of some sort.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:36:34 pm »

It depends on their contract, of which we know very little.  But I believe that Goko cannot just add their own created cards without permission of some sort.

This was one of the terms of the agreement.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 01:49:24 am »

This was one of the terms of the agreement.
Yepp, but I understand the question if it's enought that Donald and Goko agree.  I guess technically it's not, as the licenses  are Donals <- RGG <- Goko, and not Donald <- Goko, so it's plausible that the contract states that Goko needs permission from RGG and not from Donald, because he is no party in this contract.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 08:29:00 am »

There won't be fan-designed expansions without me okaying it, and I haven't, and don't.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 08:28:41 pm »

That's a shame. It would be nice to play those cards without having to get a game together IRL with only one stack of blanks, and then convince everybody that this white featureless card is really a Crystal Ball. Even if Goko charged real Gokoin OwlMoney for the cards, it would be good for the customers because you can only buy that stuff in units that don't match up with their products.

To be honest, what I really want is something like the Steam workshop; some sort of toolkit to code and playtest your own cards, and share them with other players. The cards could be cataloged so that you wouldn't have to search through the dross to find the highly rated cards. If they made it all opt-in, so that you never saw a fan card in a normal game, Goko could put one of their twenty lobbies to good use just for playtesting.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.