Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 47  All

Author Topic: roguelike games  (Read 276181 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: roguelike games
« Reply #525 on: July 08, 2014, 07:00:33 pm »
+2

I got to Zot:5 a second time, ftr, worshipping Chei

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 08, 2014, 07:31:24 pm »
+1

I haven't found any rPois on that Grey Draconian Warper I was playing. (I took a break) I cleared Orc and went as far down the Dungeon as I could before I started finding it difficult. I decided to buy all the potions of curing I could find and see how I could do in Swamp. I have Cure Poison in addition to this, but have been having trouble. Swamp Dragons in particular are pretty annoying without rPois (I get them down, eventually, but it doesn't feel safe). Any advice or tricks to get rPois that I may not have thought of? The other Branches available to me are Elf, Snake, Slime and Hell (via bottom of the Lair). I have checked out all the shops available to me and nothing there. (I don't have rCorrosion or Stasis so I've been loathe to go in Slime, but maybe I could try Elf? I have 1 level of magic resistance).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 08, 2014, 07:32:58 pm »
+1

there are alternate forms that give rpois, like potion of lignification and transmutation spells.  (i dunno if lignification gives rpois, i know it gives rsomething)

you can drink a potion of resistance

that's about it

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 08, 2014, 07:33:24 pm »
+1

oh, you can chug potions of mutation and eat mutant meat hoping for rPois mutation

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 08, 2014, 10:27:39 pm »
+1

quaffing potions of random mutation looking for rPois is a terrible idea. Eating chunks of mutagenic meat looking for rPois is even worse. EDIT: to clarify, the odds of you getting rPois are extremely low, and the more mutations you have, the less likely it becomes. The odds of you getting a bad mutation (or even a "good" one) that destroys your build, however, are quite high.

It's not common not finding some source of rPois before the Lair branches, but it happens. Swamp dragon hides can be enchanted into the respective rPois Dragon Armour, which is not too heavy. Otherwise, Elf is your best bet, get as much magic resistance as possible, and don't take any risk. Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:14:33 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 09, 2014, 03:57:46 am »
+1

Staff of poison is one that I forget about sometimes. Have you ID'd all magical staves? Pretty annoying but if you're using a bunch of conjurations it shouldn't matter situationally.

...or if not, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. You could try Elf, Levels 1 and 2 are not terrible, I wouldn't go into 3 until you're ready. Swamp is really not *that* bad without rPois, admittedly those Swamp Dragons are annoying but it only poisons you if you stay in the cloud for multiple turns. Especially if you have clarity, I think the worst part are those mephitic cloud-spewing swamp drakes.

Snake is worse. Lots of poison being spit and arrowed everywhere. So if you get the rune in Swamp without still finding rPois, I guess I would try looking in Vaults for a bit.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 09, 2014, 08:20:49 am »
+1

Wasted another VpEn with 13 runes this time...getting closer lol. This time in Gehenna. Stabbed Asmodeus and he didn't die, that's really not fair. When you stab people, they are supposed to die.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 09, 2014, 12:01:46 pm »
+1

I would argue that a character that has reached that dead end in the game is sort of already destroyed, so eating metameat can't break what's already broken.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 09, 2014, 12:16:17 pm »
+1

I am 99% sure that clearing swamp/spider/snake without rPois is fine. I've done it myself a few times.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 09, 2014, 12:20:42 pm »
+1

Eh, I suppose it depends on what your objective is. Swamp can be done without rPois if required, plus maybe you get a swamp dragon hide. Snake pit without rPois is a very bad idea in my experience (especially Snake:5) though, but you can always skip it, and go for Abyss, Slime, or even Tomb depending on your build, for a successful 3-rune run. I'd think that achieving that is much more probable than lucking into rPois from random mutations. At least this way you'll die a honourable death, instead of a slow decay with a deformed body and shouts of agony :)
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 09, 2014, 02:03:23 pm »
+1

I didn't know I could wear dragon armour as a Draconian! I might get lucky and get a hide drop and use that (nothing yet, but you never know). I also haven't IDed all staves I've found yet (I don't have a lot of use for them, but if I can get rPois out of them it might be worth it).

I might try Elf, I've almost finished the first level of Swamp so I'll finish that first and then maybe go visit the Elves. I'm not going into Snake without rPois, but I think I might be able to power through Swamp though I'd prefer to do it with rPois.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 09, 2014, 02:13:36 pm »
+1

I didn't know I could wear dragon armour as a Draconian! I might get lucky and get a hide drop and use that (nothing yet, but you never know). I also haven't IDed all staves I've found yet (I don't have a lot of use for them, but if I can get rPois out of them it might be worth it).

I might try Elf, I've almost finished the first level of Swamp so I'll finish that first and then maybe go visit the Elves. I'm not going into Snake without rPois, but I think I might be able to power through Swamp though I'd prefer to do it with rPois.

Ah sorry, forgot you were playing a draconian. As far as I know, no, you can't wear dragon armour nor hides, sorry...

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 09, 2014, 02:19:25 pm »
+2

Ah sorry, forgot you were playing a draconian. As far as I know, no, you can't wear dragon armour nor hides, sorry...

:(

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 11, 2014, 02:26:12 am »
+1

I thought I would try something a little different and recorded a "Let's Play" of a VpEn run today. It was fun! Gives a Crawl game more of a sense of permanency. Plus you get to listen to my strong yet soothing voice. I might post some more videos tomorrow.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtGVOINbMNG4mBgrDvcbj4oQLpGFvQr3V

Just watch if you don't want spoilers, but he's cleared Lair and Orc and still kicking! So you'll get your money's worth. I wanted to post here first to keep me honest about the conclusion--we'll both see whether I live or die!

I apologize for minor graphical bugs, if you have any suggestions about that I'm all ears. Comments and criticisms welcome in general.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 11, 2014, 06:13:21 am »
+1

So cool! It's kinda weird that you sorta try explaining the mechanics, but stop midway through. Although of course a vampire is not the best race to try to explain them. Everything is better when said by your indeed manly, lyrical and soothing voice, though :P

Will you try a 15 rune run? I'm watching it through, I'll just post random comments.

Your quaff-ID strategy is crazy. That "I have 2 hp, a hobglobin at full health is smacking me with a club. Let's quaff this mysterious potion!"... Also you never use darts? Darts are awesome at the beginning of the game.

Also like the way you just barge into the gnoll fortress entrance, daggers blazing, despite playing a "sneaky character". And then you just drown everybody. That's evil.  ;)

"I just turned uninvisible!"

That visit to the volcano went smoothly!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:52:24 am by pacovf »

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: July 11, 2014, 10:48:01 am »
+1

Thanks for watching!

Yeah I know I sort of half-heartedly explained things, I didn't really know who my audience was haha. I didn't want the uninitiated to be totally lost but I didn't want a tutorial either. Especially because of the flickering graphical effects I didn't want to be lingering on the menus. Also I realized that the videos would need to be relatively short, and this is like the fourth attempt at actually recording haha so I was a little tired of explaining the beginning.

Haha yeah I play this game slightly mad, but what's a crawl game or video without tribulations? It can't all be drowning gnolls :)

15 runes is in the cards, but I might chicken out with fewer, we'll play it by ear. I'll probably post some more vids this afternoon.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 11, 2014, 11:16:28 am »
+1

I quaff ID stuff when I'm in a dangerous situation also.  It's a good strategy.  Strength, invisibility, beserk, agility, curing, healing, swiftness, lignification, all can help bail you out, and I probably forgot one.  Half that many kill you but you're in a tough spot anyway right?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 11, 2014, 11:26:02 am »
+1

I tired Dwarf Fortress today.

Jeez.

That is HUGE.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 11, 2014, 11:35:03 am »
+1

I tired Dwarf Fortress today.

Jeez.

That is HUGE.

Never has a game needed a wiki to understand so much of it. I hope you had "fun"!

(It is a really fun game, but man is it demanding of your knowledge of the game.)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 11, 2014, 11:42:34 am »
+1

I quaff ID stuff when I'm in a dangerous situation also.  It's a good strategy.  Strength, invisibility, beserk, agility, curing, healing, swiftness, lignification, all can help bail you out, and I probably forgot one.  Half that many kill you but you're in a tough spot anyway right?

I've done it before too, and it's not like he could do anything else in that situation, it's just that he should have bailed out before getting down to 2hp in front of a full health kobold. Only invisibility, healing and swiftness (to run away) and maybe berserk could reliably get him out of that situation, since he was one hit away from death.

Of course, I also play fast and loose on level 1 of the dungeon, so I was being a bit cheeky.

Re: end of the Let's play

Orc:4 could have ended badly, like, 7 times. If it weren't for the spoilers, I would have thought that was the end of it. EDIT: Why didn't you use bat form, by the way? I'm thinking about video 21.

Other notable quotes:

"Could I please confuse you?"

"These orcs can't see invisible: they are STUPID!" (self-satisfied)

"Stop trying to learn things, orc!"

"All these people are gonna die horrible deaths... MERCIFUL deaths, I meant to say."

"Hehehe, down to Abyss 5!"
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:14:46 pm by pacovf »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 11, 2014, 11:45:17 am »
+1

Yeah, I agree. Level 1 of the dungeon is the place to just do whatever and quickly restart if you quaff ID a potion of poison or get punched to death by hobgoblins, etc.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 12, 2014, 08:08:04 am »
+1

Currently trying a Tengu Air Elementalist. One day I'll survive until I can cast Lightning Bolt. That day will probably involve a field trip of all the orcs in D:3-7 to another dungeon.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 12, 2014, 10:46:43 pm »
+1

Currently trying a Tengu Air Elementalist. One day I'll survive until I can cast Lightning Bolt. That day will probably involve a field trip of all the orcs in D:3-7 to another dungeon.

This is my favorite combo. AE spells are just so much more fun. Don't forget about swiftness when you're in a tough spot!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 13, 2014, 02:15:41 am »
+1

This is my favorite combo. AE spells are just so much more fun. Don't forget about swiftness when you're in a tough spot!

Any tips? Shock and multizapping are nice and everything, but I don't feel they are enough to carry me till I can cast lightning bolt reliably, tengus are squishy. And static discharge hurts.

I'm training spellcasting and conjurations, focusing air magic, maybe my mistake is there? I also can't memorize all spells from the book (even ignoring flight), so which spell should I skip, repel missiles, swiftness, or static discharge? I've tried skipping swiftness, but this guy isn't reliable enough to scrap by without an escape route.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:43:47 am by pacovf »

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 14, 2014, 07:07:38 am »
+1

The Let's Play has reached its conclusion, if anyone's still interested.

The outcome: Escaped with 6 runes woo! Would've gone for more but I had no wand of heal wounds and I really didn't want to die!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 47  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.