Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47  All

Author Topic: roguelike games  (Read 272822 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
roguelike games
« on: June 05, 2013, 12:26:37 am »
+2

I've been playing a bunch of SLASH'EM recently, and I was wondering if anybody else plays any roguelike games on here.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: roguelike games
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:24:42 am »
+1

I've tried Nethack before, but the interface is pretty tricky to get into.  I also suspect that it's not a good habit to start!  (These comments also apply to Dwarf Fortress.)

Is SLASH'EM easier to get on with than Nethack?

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 02:29:42 am »
+2

I've tried Nethack before, but the interface is pretty tricky to get into.  I also suspect that it's not a good habit to start!  (These comments also apply to Dwarf Fortress.)

Is SLASH'EM easier to get on with than Nethack?

SLASH'EM is a harder version of NetHack with added features.  It's made for people who have overplayed NetHack.

I think the comments apply 100000000% more to Dwarf Fortress than to NetHack.  You only need to learn a few commands to be able to play NetHack (but not be able to do much, and not even get close to ascending), then you slowly learn the rest of them.

Also, the quidebook to NetHack specifically tells you to either call it "nethack" or "NetHack", not "Nethack"...

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 02:33:34 am »
+1

Also, the quidebook to NetHack specifically tells you to either call it "nethack" or "NetHack", not "Nethack"...

I swear my first version had "nethack", but the dastardly SLASH'EM website has "Nethack". :-[

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 08:33:16 am »
+2

I used to play quite a bit of nethack and hang out on rgn.  But that was nearly a decade ago.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:46:32 am »
+1

I used to play huge amounts of Angband, and I was even on the development team for ZAngband for a while.  I won Angband twice, but I haven't played it in many years.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 10:56:50 am »
+2

I've ascended in nethack once (as a Monk), and gotten to The Plane of Fire once as a Barbarian. That was a sad death. I'd been trying to not spoil myself too much until I'd at least gotten to whatever area and died there, so I didn't know the peril of using conflict there. I was using my quest artifact for levitation, and I missed the message about the levitation wearing off while jamming through the instances of "The fire elemental hits the fire elemental! The fire elemental is unaffected" a hundred times a tick. I walked into lava, but I had intrinsic fire resistance, so I only got stuck. I zapped a wand of cold down to solidify the lava, and tried to use it to solidify the lava all around, but I ran out of charges. (I should have Applied it instead, to hit the squares around me.) Then I dug down with a pickaxe to free myself, but the lava came back rushing in. I end up drowning. In lava.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:59:23 am by Drab Emordnilap »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 02:03:35 pm »
+1

Never played nethack, I do like the idea.

I played for quite some time game called POWDER (link: http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=about) which is a roguelike, and I had an apsolute blast. One things that I love is when games are a quite hard challenge, which cannot be said for many new ones, sadly..

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 03:19:38 pm »
+1

I played for quite some time game called POWDER (link: http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=about) which is a roguelike, and I had an apsolute blast. One things that I love is when games are a quite hard challenge, which cannot be said for many new ones, sadly..

Have you ever played the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2?  That is one of the hardest games I've ever played.  Up there with difficulty, is I Wanna Be The Guy and NetHack.  Also, beating Pikmin in 9 days with only 50 pikmin was hard too, but that was a self-imposed challenge, not how hard the game was.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 04:13:36 pm »
+1

Oh yeah, I play NetHack on alt.org and SLASH'EM on crash-override.net if you guys wanted to try to watch me.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 04:38:37 pm »
+1

Have you ever played the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2?  That is one of the hardest games I've ever played.  Up there with difficulty, is I Wanna Be The Guy and NetHack.  Also, beating Pikmin in 9 days with only 50 pikmin was hard too, but that was a self-imposed challenge, not how hard the game was.

Thats "The lost levels, right?" I've heard, its on my "list", I think I'm gonna do Ghost 'n' Goblin next. My bro has beaten IWBTG, I never did.
My most recent "I gotta beat it" game was a little childhood pet peeve, Kid Chamelon. Finally managed to do it!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 05:17:32 pm »
+1

Thats "The lost levels, right?"

Yes.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 05:22:06 pm »
+2

IWBTG is hard, but also completely unfair. There are legitimate platforming challenges, but the amount of stupid traps that you can't avoid unless you know they're coming doesn't make it worth it IMO.

Super Meat Boy is hard + fair. VVVVVV is not that hard, but is still pretty challenging the first time through. I've heard that Binding of Isaac is essentially a modern roguelike, but I've never played it so I'm not sure.

I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 06:48:44 pm »
+1

IWBTG is hard, but also completely unfair. There are legitimate platforming challenges, but the amount of stupid traps that you can't avoid unless you know they're coming doesn't make it worth it IMO.

I always just laugh at the unfair deaths.  It's like, "What in the world just happened?!?!?  HAHAHAHA!"  And those happen just once (usually).  (Note: I've never actually beaten the game, but I've played some)

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 06:57:32 pm »
+2

The whole "hard platformer" angle of IWBTG is really just a pretext to set up comedic reversals at the player's expense. Every screen is built on the same structure of training you to get through some obstacle, letting you have some success with it and some variations, and finally changing the rules right when you start to think you'll get through it. In that way it's got more in common with a Wile E. Coyote cartoon than any of the games it references.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 07:18:21 pm »
+1

If you like the hard platforming style of I Wanna Be The Guy/Super Meat Boy etc., a good game to check out is I Wanna Be The Boshy. As the name suggests it's an IWBTG spinoff, but many people agree it's a better game than the original - a lot more boss fights (which are a lot more fun) and the platforming sections are simultaneously harder and fairer, with fewer traps (although there's still a few of those). It's difficulty settings are also more varied than just 'more save points'.

Grujah: Can't you beat Pikmin 1 in like, 6 days now with the new tricks? And still only 50 Pikmin I think. I know it's a totally insane route, mind you - you end Distant Springs with like a 3 on the clock, if you play near perfectly.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 07:22:50 pm »
+1

Grujah: Can't you beat Pikmin 1 in like, 6 days now with the new tricks? And still only 50 Pikmin I think. I know it's a totally insane route, mind you - you end Distant Springs with like a 3 on the clock, if you play near perfectly.

That was me.  As far as I know, ONE person has beaten the game in six days (and definitely not with 50).  He finished day 2 with a zero on the clock.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 12:36:33 pm »
+1

Hm, I'll look it up. Generally when people discover this kind of thing is possible, a number more people will do it as well. And sorry, I knew it was you. I just screwed up.

Edit: Looking just on youtube, I see a number of 6 day runs by different people. I reckon if I checked the usual Pikmin suspects on Twitch, I might even find more.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:40:29 pm by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 02:35:09 pm »
+1

Hm, I'll look it up. Generally when people discover this kind of thing is possible, a number more people will do it as well. And sorry, I knew it was you. I just screwed up.

Edit: Looking just on youtube, I see a number of 6 day runs by different people. I reckon if I checked the usual Pikmin suspects on Twitch, I might even find more.

Well, it was a while ago that I saw it.

lympi

• Salvager
  • You'll never catch me, Copper
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 04:10:15 pm »
+2

While maybe not a roguelike by the strictest definition, FTL is definitely roguelike-like.

Quote from: ftlgame.com
FTL is a spaceship simulation roguelike-like. Its aim is to recreate the atmosphere of running a spaceship exploring the galaxy (like Firefly/Star Trek/BSG etc.) In any given episode of those classic shows, the captain is always yelling “Reroute power to shields!” or giving commands to the engineer now that their Warp Core is on fire. We wanted that experience, as opposed to the “dog fighting in space” that most videogames focus on. We wanted a game where we had to manage the crew, fix the engines, reroute power to shields, target the enemy life support, and then figure out how to repel the boarders that just transported over!

It's half off right now for $4.99, Mac/PC/Linux, and it would be a steal at quadruple the price. Highly recommended.

http://ftlgame.com
Then God said, Let there be a Village, and another Village, and another Village, and a Village, and I've got a silver and a copper. I'll buy a Village. -Ousgg on BGG

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 05:56:15 pm »
+1

Heh, that sounds like Space Alert. (an excellent board game)

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 06:08:29 pm »
+1

Oh, FTL is half price? I was considering buying that, but thought it might be a little too much at full price. Hmm...

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 07:48:15 am »
+1

Oh IWBTG, I have beaten it and actually don't find it very difficult, simply repetetive. I would call myslelf a super talented gamer but it just takes playing IWBTG over and over and over until its memorized and not too hard. Also the final bosses move set is ripped of of sigma from mega man x, so if you've beaten that its not too bad.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 09:14:34 pm »
+1

So, I've been trying to get into roguelikes on and off for a few months, but the interfaces always confused me.
I started off with Angband; I don't think I even made it to the third floor of the dungeon.
Then I moved to NetHack, which was SO MUCH BETTER, but I still didn't really like the interface/game.

Finally, I found Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, which had a nice tutorial to get me to understand what was going on, is more accessible than NetHack, and is just generally great. I recommend it to anyone who would like to try a roguelike.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 07:56:58 am »
+1

So, I've been trying to get into roguelikes on and off for a few months, but the interfaces always confused me.
I started off with Angband; I don't think I even made it to the third floor of the dungeon.
Then I moved to NetHack, which was SO MUCH BETTER, but I still didn't really like the interface/game.

Finally, I found Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, which had a nice tutorial to get me to understand what was going on, is more accessible than NetHack, and is just generally great. I recommend it to anyone who would like to try a roguelike.

I recently discovered DCSS as well. (actually googled Jorbles or somebody and it came up).

It is quite awesome, hard, rewarding, easy to get in, well documented..

My best so far is Hill Orc Fighter of Beogh who got 3 runes, than just HAD to clear Vaults even though he did get the Vault rune, and I then pressed a wrong key and unwielded my weapon and engaged an ancient lich unarmed, managed to escape, then noticed what I did, killed the lich, healed, but lost my band of orcs somewhere in the process and than died to a warden a two convokers who summoned a shitload of monsters on me.  :'(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47  All

Page created in 0.534 seconds with 20 queries.