Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Really Confused Greening  (Read 1068 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Really Confused Greening
« on: May 30, 2013, 11:41:36 pm »
+2

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130530/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1369942269797.txt

University, Lookout, Market Square, Warehouse, Cutpurse, Navigator, Remake, Ghost Ship, Knights, Farmland, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion

So this was an interesting game with a really complicated end phase (vs. the awesome Rabid).

So the first question: University? We both say no here, on account of the lack of draw or worthy $5s. Ghost Ship is good but not something you base a University engine deck around. The Knights were entirely unbought; I think it's tough to say what effect they would have had on the game.

Well, we both go for Market Square activation via Remake. I pair my Remake opening with a Warehouse, though, and get the MS later. I think that's a little better than what Rabid did, which was open MS/Warehouse. Anyway, we are both doing similar things, really, and accumulate a whole bunch of Golds. Farmland actually becomes a really useful and interesting card, since we have superfluous Gold in hand--more than $8, but not like $16.

Eventually it becomes, really, really hard to know what the right move is. By the end of Turn 11, I have 2 Provinces, and he has a Province and 2 Farmlands. I buy a third Province, and then he buys a Farmland to turn a Market Square into a Duchy. Then I Farmland a Copper into an Estate rather than take a Duchy, and then he Farmlands a Farmland into a Province, gaining a Gold off a MS! On Turns 14 and 15 I scoop up the rest of the Farmlands by turning a Remake into one--this seems more important than getting Provinces. From then on, he can only draw $7, never $8, and I take the win.

I think a big difference, aside from the different openings, was that I did stop to get a Ghost Ship, and that was really hurting him. Hand size decreasers are particularly brutal on a deck the relies on Warehouses, I think.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Really Confused Greening
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 06:48:43 am »
+2

So the first question: University? We both say no here, on account of the lack of draw or worthy $5s. Ghost Ship is good but not something you base a University engine deck around. The Knights were entirely unbought; I think it's tough to say what effect they would have had on the game.

Without Market Square on the board I think a University-Warehouse-Ghost Ship-Knights engine is definitely viable, but MS makes Knights terrible. Just load up on the Market Squares and lean back as every card a Knight touches turns into Gold!

Well, we both go for Market Square activation via Remake. I pair my Remake opening with a Warehouse, though, and get the MS later. I think that's a little better than what Rabid did, which was open MS/Warehouse.

Rabid opened MS/Remake, which I would probably have done as well, although I do think your Warehouse/Remake is better, as pairing asap your Estates with Remake to trash them into Market Squares is more important than getting an early Gold.

I assume that on T8 you made a very unfortunate misclick, where you intended to play the Remake rather than discard it, thus ending up doing nothing where you could have trashed 2 Coppers, gaining a Gold.

I like your Ghost Ship, and I think Rabid should have bought one as well (which he could have done on T8 instead of a Gold).

Then I Farmland a Copper into an Estate rather than take a Duchy

I don't like this. A Copper is more useful than an Estate, and I'd rather not deplete the Farmlands unless you can trash into a Province, something for which you are in a better position than he is due to your Ghost Ship and your two Warehouses vs. his one.

On Turns 14 and 15 I scoop up the rest of the Farmlands by turning a Remake into one--this seems more important than getting Provinces.

I'm not too sold on trashing your Remake into the last Farmland instead of trashing the Farmland you had in hand into a Province (T15). You give up 2VP (Remake->Farmland in stead of Farmland ->Province) in exchange for denying your opponent 3VP (Duchy instead of Farmland->Province) in the case he has $6 or $7 and a Farmland in hand (the latter he has ~50% of the time, since he had already seen 2 of his 3 Farmlands the previous turn, after a fresh shuffle). If he doesn't have a Farmland in hand, he'll either buy the last Farmland and trash something like a Copper into an Estate, which is great for you since he could have bought a Duchy for the same amount of VP but ~1/2 card less, or he goes indeed for the Duchy and now you can use the last Farmland on your next turn (which you also can if he has <$6).

But except for these two points (and your terrible T8) you played it very well!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 12:36:52 pm »

A great critique of my play!

Yes, the Turn 8 thing was a debacle, I don't even know what happened. I clicked to play my Remake, not realizing I was still in the discarding phase of Warehouse. And then it wouldn't let me play the Market Square I had in hand, even though I hadn't played a terminal...? So I think it was both me AND Goko messing up. It was weird.

The thing about Farmlanding that Copper is in my deck, Copper was basically just as bad as Estate. I had no Silvers, and very few Coppers. All my points were coming from Gold. And I was using Warehouse to find them. So there was never really going to be a situation where Copper was putting me over the edge to an $8 hand, I don't think.

You are probably right about the other Farmlanding thing. I didn't know the score, and I'm really, embarrassingly bad at keeping track of it, so I didn't realize I was doing so well at the time, and I thought the Farms were important to him and wanted to deny them. But I think you're probably right.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 04:33:37 pm »

Nice game.

I also would have picked up a Ghost Ship since it seems to be even more brutal than usual with sifting on the board.

A great critique of my play!

So why not +1 it?  ;)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.736 seconds with 20 queries.