Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Embargo vs would gain.  (Read 1393 times)

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Embargo vs would gain.
« on: May 31, 2013, 10:54:23 am »

First question: Can you "would gain" something if that supply pile is empty? For instance, if another player plays Witch and the Curse pile is empty, can I reveal Trader and gain a Silver instead of the nothing I would have gained if I don't?

If the answer is "No", then I think that's odd, but ok. If the answer is "Yes", then the FAQ for Embargo is incorrect (I'm reading for the Wiki, so maybe is not an official FAQ, but all this time I was assuming they all are):

If there are no Curses left, Embargo tokens do nothing.

because I should be able to gain extra Silvers from Trader if I buy something from an Embargo'ed pile.

While we are on the embargo edge case topic, can I (attempt to) buy something from an empty embargoed pile and gain a Curse from Embargo? (for instance, there is a pile embargoed twice and two Curses left and I have only one buy and more than 2 VP lead, so I want to end the game)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Embargo vs would gain.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 11:06:11 am »
+1

First question: Can you "would gain" something if that supply pile is empty? For instance, if another player plays Witch and the Curse pile is empty, can I reveal Trader and gain a Silver instead of the nothing I would have gained if I don't?

No.

If the answer is "No", then I think that's odd, but ok.

The way to think about it is this: if you didn't reveal Trader, would you gain a card? In this case, no. Therefore you can't reveal Trader.

While we are on the embargo edge case topic, can I (attempt to) buy something from an empty embargoed pile and gain a Curse from Embargo?

No. You can't buy from an empty pile in any case. (You also can't, say, buy from the empty Mint pile and trash your treasures thereby. The Embargo case is no different)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 11:07:28 am »

No

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 12:02:45 pm »

(You also can't, say, buy from the empty Mint pile and trash your treasures thereby. The Embargo case is no different)

I was thinking that buy triggers would gain and would gain triggers gain. The problem with empty piles is which of the 3 fails on the buy phase and on gainers activation (Workshop-type or Witch-type). I think the answers make sense, I just don't see where exactly this was specified.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.522 seconds with 22 queries.