Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Legit or luck?  (Read 772 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Legit or luck?
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:02:16 am »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130528/log.5146fc82e4b0de86766bfcc2.1369803233263.txt

Summary:
Opened Chancellor/Potion, transition into Vagrant/Apothecary. These are the only sifters in the kingdom. Opponent goes for a Knights attack, but I keep my Potion long enough to get enough Apothecaries to not care, and Copper is immune. I always happen to have a Chancellor when Apothecary reveals 3 or more dead cards, which lets me trigger a reshuffle and keep going.

What I want to know is, was this actually a good play, or just dumb luck? It seemed like I always had my Chancellor at the perfect time, and it was still somewhat slow. There's also Pirate Ship, which could hurt the deck quite badly.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Legit or luck?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:43:59 am »

It wasn't a lucky win but I don't think you can really judge strategies by the game you played. The place to start looking at this could be a treasure/province buying game with a rogue/Sir Destry added that for minor advantage. Is acceleration from a chancellor going to be better than the attacks? Maybe, but those attacks might be useful against harems and pirates. So what does an apothecary deck give? It could be slower than a treasure deck unless you have good use of harems and vagrants but you might get your attack cards cycled faster. I suspect that a rogue/Sir Destry would be a better addition to an apothecary deck than a chancellor.

So all told I don't think there's a clear strategy. New knights may open new options as they are revealed or you could easily find yourself sacrificing speed/points to defend against attacks that never materialize. Just be glad it wasn't a three player game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.