Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: It needs something extra  (Read 4183 times)

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
It needs something extra
« on: May 21, 2013, 07:32:55 am »
+5

Finally you can get that +1 Buy to Adventurer so it's worth getting!

It needs something extra

Choose a Ruins from the Something Extra pile and put it next to an action card supply pile with at least 7 cards in it. If that pile already had such a Ruins card, return that to the Something Extra pile. When that action is played the text on the Something Extra card is executed before the text of the Action card itself.

Trash this card.

Setup: Form a Something Extra pile from 10 random Ruins cards. That pile is not part of the supply.

$2  Action

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
Re: It needs something extra
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 07:36:07 am »

nice idea but a +1Action Hunting Grounds is pretty strong =)
+1 Card Pawn sounds good  ;) make it a laboratory

but its a nice mechanic to variate the cards in play and change the gameflow=) suddenly everyone wants that +1 card +1 action Scout  ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:39:08 am by RTT »

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 07:46:44 am »

Yes, some cards can get really good. That's why it won't change cards after people have gained a few of them. The "7" is somewhat arbitrary, but seemed about right to me. You should be able to get one or maybe two of a card beforehand that people suspect you are going to boost, but not much more.

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 07:50:58 am »

Yes, some cards can get really good. That's why it won't change cards after people have gained a few of them. The "7" is somewhat arbitrary, but seemed about right to me. You should be able to get one or maybe two of a card beforehand that people suspect you are going to boost, but not much more.
yes i think this is a good move.

If you manage to piledrive the +1card Pawns in the turn you boosted them then you deserve the win  :D I think this might be balanced in the most kingdoms and should provide a lot of fun.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 08:51:16 am »

I think the idea as such is clever, but the Ruins should be removed when somebody buys the 4th card, too (not only keeping ruins from being added). It's nice. really awful cards can be made better, really good cards won't get that benefit (unless they are expensive/restrictive enough for only one player to get).

Maybe add a small vanilla bonus to "It needs something extra" to make it worthwile.

I really like it. Maybe shorten the wording a bit, but that's a minor problem.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 11:01:44 am »
+2

I feel like this card still needs something extra.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 11:36:49 am »

I feel like this card still needs something extra.

you can use it on itself to get a little bonus =)

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 12:55:25 pm »

Bravo, this is exactly the sort of creative the-rules-can-change effect that makes Dominion interesting; it expands the strategy space enormously, and I believe it would make games much more about skill than luck.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 04:14:10 pm »

It needs something extra

Choose a Ruins from the Something Extra pile and put it next to an action card supply pile with at least 7 cards in it. If that pile already had such a Ruins card, return that to the Something Extra pile. When that action is played the text on the Something Extra card is executed before the text of the Action card itself.

Trash this card.

Setup: Form a Something Extra pile from 10 random Ruins cards. That pile is not part of the supply.

$2  Action

How about:

Engineer
$2 Action -Looter
+1 Action
+$1
---------------------------------------
When you gain this, move the top card of the Ruins pile next to an action card supply pile with at least 7 cards in it. If that pile already had such a Ruins card, return that Ruin to the supply. When that action is played the text on the Something Extra card is executed before the text of the Action card itself.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 04:34:15 pm »

Do you intend that if there are no Ruins left in the Something Extra pile, the Ruins next to your chosen kingdom pile will be returned and that pile will then have no bonus? As written, the card has that effect, but you could fix it with an "if you do". I also prefer the idea of taking the top card rather than having a choice, so that superpowered cards like Hunting Laboratories would be less common.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 06:20:10 pm »

I like the idea. Although it can make some really crazy cards, everyone's will be powered up so it balances out. If the top Ruins is +1Action with Hunting Grounds on the board, chances are more than one person will be ambitious and go for it. Does the Ruins stay on the pile if there are less than 7 cards? Or can only placed when there are more than 7 cards?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 09:28:51 pm »

I like the idea. Although it can make some really crazy cards, everyone's will be powered up so it balances out. If the top Ruins is +1Action with Hunting Grounds on the board, chances are more than one person will be ambitious and go for it. Does the Ruins stay on the pile if there are less than 7 cards? Or can only placed when there are more than 7 cards?

As far as i understand it, it stays after placing it, regardless of how many are gained afterwards. As mentioned before, i think that's not the best idea. Worded like this it will usually NOT fix Adventurer, but rather put Smithy in overdrive. If the ruins is removed even when cards are gained later, this means that only the unpopular cards can really be buffed, and honestly this seems much more interesting to me.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:30:51 pm by Asper »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 10:59:57 pm »

As far as i understand it, it stays after placing it, regardless of how many are gained afterwards. As mentioned before, i think that's not the best idea. Worded like this it will usually NOT fix Adventurer, but rather put Smithy in overdrive. If the ruins is removed even when cards are gained later, this means that only the unpopular cards can really be buffed, and honestly this seems much more interesting to me.

I agree it's more interesting, but then I would lower the number of cards need to 6, not 7. 7 seems pretty high for a popular card, but low enough to spoil someone using an unpopular one. It's interesting you could buff a Treasure card with +card. It also seems easy to ruin someone else who has buffed a card in a certain way. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a $2 card similar to Embargo in terms of strategy.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 06:50:44 pm »

I like the idea, and it's a clever use of Ruins, but I agree that it's really hard to cost well. I'm wondering if there's another way to get a similar effect. Something like this?

Vacated Throne Room
Action/Looter - $3
You may gain a Ruins, putting it in your hand.
You may play a Ruins and another Action card from your hand. If you do, you may trash the Ruins.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 03:21:05 pm »

I agree it's more interesting, but then I would lower the number of cards need to 6, not 7. 7 seems pretty high for a popular card, but low enough to spoil someone using an unpopular one. It's interesting you could buff a Treasure card with +card. It also seems easy to ruin someone else who has buffed a card in a certain way. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a $2 card similar to Embargo in terms of strategy.

I'm not sure which number would be better, but i agree that it's quite possibly not 7. Maybe it should be dependant on the number of players. In any case, playtesting could help to find out.

In dangers of repeating myself, i really like the cards idea. I have a soft spot for weak cards, and this makes them somehow attractive. Buy-Chancellor, Nonterminal Woodcutter, Surviver Moat... I wish it had been my idea.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 03:24:35 pm by Asper »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 06:48:58 pm »
+1

I like the idea, and it's a clever use of Ruins, but I agree that it's really hard to cost well. I'm wondering if there's another way to get a similar effect. Something like this?

Vacated Throne Room
Action/Looter - $3
You may play a Ruins and another Action card from your hand. If you do, you may trash the Ruins.

It does deplete the pile though.
How about (ultra versatile card)

Forsaken Throne
Action/Looter - $4
Gain up to 2 Ruins in hand.
Reveal 2 cards from your hand. Play any actions you reveal.
You may return any revealed cards to the bottom of their supply piles.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 06:50:07 pm »

I found an old thread with the same sort of idea: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=4837.0

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 07:59:46 pm »

Vacated Throne Room
Action/Looter - $3

It does deplete the pile though.
How about (ultra versatile card)

Forsaken Throne
Action/Looter - $4
I like that. I originally had it that the Ruins was returned, but then there's no way to cycle through the Ruins to find the one you want. The only problem is that you then have one card that returns to the top of Supply piles (Ambassador) and one that returns to the bottom, Innovation-style.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 09:02:15 pm »

Forsaken Throne
Action/Looter - $4

There were a couple of outtakes from Dark Ages that were variants on the "play the top n Ruins" concept.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 11:38:50 am »

Here's a try for another version. It took some time to find a wording that makes sure only four cards can be used before the effect is gone, and still feels simple (I disliked that you could place tokens on a full pile and piledrive it afterwards without a problem, so with my version the effect wears of even if the cards are gained afterwards). I'll just use "School" as a name, as "Something extra" is a bit confusing.

School
Action - Looter, 2$
+2$
Trash this.
Put a school token on any scholar pile. When a player plays a copy of a scholar piles top card, and that pile has a school token on it, he resolves the top ruins of the ruins pile, first.

Setup: Turn the top 4 cards of all action card piles in the supply 90 degrees clockwise. Piles containing cards that are turned that way are scholar piles.

FAQ: As soon as it contains no more turned cards, a pile loses the "scholar pile" status. Playing a copy of its top card has no special effect, then. When the ruins pile is empty, school tokens have no effect. The ruins pile starts as a scholar pile, itself. The effect of the played card has no effect on the ruins, they are not gained when resolved, nor are they in play or played. It's as if their effect was listed on the played card itself. School tokens may not be removed after the 4th card is taken (not that it matters, as they are not limited). Several tokens do not stack. Ambassador returns cards in the normal position, which only matters after the 4th card was taken, so ambassadoring can't make a pile a scholar pile again. When looking at supply cards, they need to be returned how they were. The "copy of the top card" wording matters for mixed piles as well as for hypothetical cards that can put cards in foreign piles.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:46:20 am by Asper »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.997 seconds with 21 queries.