Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Epic Bad Luck  (Read 1336 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Epic Bad Luck
« on: November 05, 2011, 08:32:34 pm »

This is one for the books, without a doubt.  Perhaps I left myself open to Minion attacks, but given my engine and the mildness of Minion's attack, I never expected this conclusion:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/05/game-20111105-144931-f5ea101f.html

Key Cards:  KC, Minion, Scrying Pool, Golem, Governor, Chapel, Spice Merchant

After T15, I have a comfortable 26-point lead and an engine that's drawn itself twice from a four-card Minioned hand.

On T16, his Minion boosts my hand just slightly, giving me the ability to barely equal his Colony buy... but also get a Province from Governor for a 32 point lead.

On T17, his Minion turns a bad hand (SP, two Golds, two greens) into a useless hand (KC, 3 greens.)  I shrug it off; it was bound to happen once, right?  Of course, my opponent grabs 22 points too; ouch!  Next turn's better, right?

On T18, his Minion turns [Gold, Spice Merchant, Scrying Pool, 2 Governors] into [Scrying Pool, 2 Golds, green].  My Golem draws Hamlet (which draws a Green) and KC (which is useless).  OK, deadish hand but still a Province to match his, right? 10 point lead.

On T19, his Minion turns [King's Court, 2 Golds, a Governor, and a Scrying Pool] into [Scrying Pool, Gold, 2 greens]... with two more greens on top.  He's not able to buy the last Colony because he'd lose to a tie... but I get to buy an Estate.

His Minion did something nasty on T20 as well... but it didn't matter.  Game over.  A 32-point lead to a 14-point loss in 4 turns, all from the most epic bad luck I've experienced in a game.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Epic Bad Luck
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 08:36:53 pm »

Not saying he didn't get lucky, BUT... minion's attack is NOT mild

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 09:24:59 pm »

When I looked at the set I wondered if it was possible to skip the minions, so thanks for trying it out. There's quite a lot of unusual interplay that we won't see again in a hurry.

Diving Pikachu

• Navigator
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 04:06:35 pm »

What was your overall plan for going Potion? With three Scrying Pools you definitely should have gone for Minions yourself, and used the Governor plays for draws or upgrades, instead of Gold. All those Golds clash with Scrying Pool, while Scrying Pool could've enabled a much more consistent Minion engine instead. Buying a Golem on Turn 5 with only Chapel and Governor in your deck made you lose out on the chance to buy another powerful stand-alone card that you could play early and often throughout the game. Golem is only as good as the cards it enables you to play. If you had bought a Spice Merchant or Silver on Turn 3, you could've gotten a critical early Gold or Minion instead.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:08:56 pm by Diving Pikachu »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.56 seconds with 21 queries.