Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Author Topic: What cards have a funny/weird thematic interactions?  (Read 54295 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: What cards have a funny/weird thematic interactions?
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2013, 08:25:26 pm »

Vagrants are below their pay grade, but those poor Scouts...

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2013, 11:26:58 pm »
+4

They only hit the leaders; Followers are safe.

And of course, no true knight would dare harm a Princess.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2013, 06:44:50 pm »
+7

The seer of the scrying pool had a rough day. The visions of her own kingdom were obscured by images of incoming treasure.

As the visions started approaching the neighboring kingdom, she noticed a group of horse traders and was distraught when she realized that they knew they were being watched, fleeing as quickly as they could. Almost immediately after she started wrapping her head around how they could have known such a think, she saw a poor beggar. She felt so bad for him, that she sent her messengers to bring the beggar some treasure. When she finally tried focusing on the castle of the rival kingdom, the castle's moat blurred her focus too much for her to know what actions could be taken to slow them down.

She doesn't know the full story though. That beggar was hired by the rival king to panhandle for him. To top it all off, the horse traders that had fled town bumped into the messengers bringing the treasure to the beggar and lent some of their horses to help carry the treasure even faster.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2013, 03:24:22 pm »
+4

In the kingdom with the Horse Traders she also saw a tunnel full of gold, and decided to let it be for fear of enriching her enemy. It was for naught though as the Horse Traders found it shortly thereafter.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Just a Rube

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2013, 05:18:20 pm »
+10

Herald: My lord, the Adventurer we dispatched has returned.

Adventurer: Great King, I have traveled through distance Provinces, across the Silk Road. I stowed away on a Merchant Ship, then found some Smugglers at a Black Market to help me dodge an Embargo. I outwitted cunning Rogues, villainous Swindlers and a subtle Spy. I outfought Marauders, and avoided the Curses of a malevolent Witch. I and a ragtag Band of Misfits infiltrated a King's Court to thwart the vile Schemes of an evil Chancellor and his Conspirators. I hid in a Death Cart, to hide from their hired Goons, and faked my death with the help of a friendly Graverobber. I then defeated Knights and Squires alike at the royal Tournament, in order to present the Princess with evidence of his treason. I then fled the country, pursued by that treacherous Advisor's Minions, and accompanied only by my Trusty Steed. There, amid Ruined Villages and Abandoned Mines, I found the untouched remains of a Native Village, from which I acquired these two veritable Masterpieces.

King: ...Masterpieces? What part of "bring me some Fool's Gold" did you not understand?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 01, 2013, 05:59:05 pm »
+2

Adventurer: Great King, I have traveled through distance Provinces, across the Silk Road. I stowed away on a Merchant Ship, then found some Smugglers at a Black Market to help me dodge an Embargo. I outwitted cunning Rogues, villainous Swindlers and a subtle Spy. I outfought Marauders, and avoided the Curses of a malevolent Witch. I and a ragtag Band of Misfits infiltrated a King's Court to thwart the vile Schemes of an evil Chancellor and his Conspirators. I hid in a Death Cart, to hide from their hired Goons, and faked my death with the help of a friendly Graverobber. I then defeated Knights and Squires alike at the royal Tournament, in order to present the Princess with evidence of his treason. I then fled the country, pursued by that treacherous Advisor's Minions, and accompanied only by my Trusty Steed. There, amid Ruined Villages and Abandoned Mines, I found the untouched remains of a Native Village, from which I acquired these two veritable Masterpieces.

King: ...Masterpieces? What part of "bring me some Fool's Gold" did you not understand?

...Why would someone going for Fool's Gold have Silk Roads, Merchant Ships, Smugglers, Black Markets, Embargoes, Rogues, Swindlers, Spies, Marauders, Band of Misfits, King's Courts, Scheme, Chancellor, Conspirator, Death Carts, Goons, Graverobbers, Knights, Squires, Tournaments, Advisors, Minions, Native Villages, and Masterpieces?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2013, 06:03:20 pm »
+4

When a Doctor feels he has too many competitors, he can hunt down and eliminate his competition, as long as they operate close enough to him.

A new Doctor coming into the market can bully all other Doctors out of the business entirely if he has enough capital to invest.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2013, 06:12:41 pm »

...Why would someone going for Fool's Gold have Silk Roads, Merchant Ships, Smugglers, Black Markets, Embargoes, Rogues, Swindlers, Spies, Marauders, Band of Misfits, King's Courts, Scheme, Chancellor, Conspirator, Death Carts, Goons, Graverobbers, Knights, Squires, Tournaments, Advisors, Minions, Native Villages, and Masterpieces?

Well, Smugglers can get your more FGs in a mirror, Swindler can turn FG into Estate in a mirror, Marauder gives your opponent non-FG junk (but you wouldn't want it because it hurts you too in this case), Goons would probably work reasonably well in an FG deck as a later addition, and NV might help in some sort of not-just-FG strategy. But the others... they just don't belong.

Just a Rube

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2013, 07:49:53 pm »

Opponents' Swindlers can explain some of these (e.g. Masterpiece). And he was planning to build a Goons engine (he has Goons, King's Court, Scheme, Band of Misfits, and a couple villages, one of which provides +Buy), but using the Fool's Gold as a money source to kick-start it. He got the Black Market for kicks, and pulled out some good cards (e.g. the Witch and the only Tournament) by chance. Not sure how he got the Rogue, but once he does, he might as well use it to pick up things like Spy, which can never hurt his deck.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:51:20 pm by Just a Rube »

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2013, 07:53:28 pm »

Opponents' Swindlers can explain some of these (e.g. Masterpiece). And he was planning to build a Goons engine (he has Goons, King's Court, Scheme, Band of Misfits, and a couple villages, one of which provides +Buy), but using the Fool's Gold as a money source to kick-start it. He got the Black Market for kicks, and pulled out some good cards (e.g. the Witch and the only Tournament) by chance. Not sure how he got the Rogue, but once he does, he might as well use it to pick up things like Spy, which can never hurt his deck.

Well, a good $5 in the Black Market could have been swindled into the Rogue, I guess...

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2013, 04:03:15 am »

And Herald too.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2013, 09:43:12 pm »
+2

Doctor
"My kingdom is relatively healthy thanks to the work of that Doctor I hired in the early days of my rule. Ah, but times are hard, and good work is even harder to come by, eh, Butch? What say you do me a little favor right now and we can split the gains?"
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Ace539

• Pawn
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2013, 09:59:22 pm »
+13

Doctor, naming survivors, my brother actually did this IRL, we all laughed

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2013, 06:06:16 am »
+1

I wonder if Butcher/Survivors is any better...

Edit: Or any interaction with Butcher.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:07:26 am by Asper »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2013, 09:48:18 am »
+1

Butcher/Menagerie?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2013, 12:45:08 pm »
+8

Butcher/Menagerie?
Into a Feast.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 06, 2013, 01:01:21 pm »

Butcher/Menagerie?
Into a Feast.

Although, that usually would be a HORRIBLE idea, you could just get the $5 cost right away...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 06, 2013, 01:10:50 pm »

Butcher/Menagerie?
Into a Feast.

Although, that usually would be a HORRIBLE idea, you could just get the $5 cost right away...

Hmm, wouldn't say it's THAT usual. You might need every remaining coin to get e.g. a Province.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Anders Gabrielsson

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2013, 07:52:43 am »
+6

So the King will let nearly anyone into his court. Not just his loyal Knights and Stewards and the odd Wandering Minstrel for entertainment, no, he welcomes in all kinds of low characters: Cultists, Smugglers, Conspirators, Torturers, Rogues, Graverobbers and Mountebanks, not to mention his own Spies, Pawns and Minions.

But who will he not let in? His Barons are almost never allowed to visit him there (or even in his auxilliary Throne Room), and a Duke will never set his fot at court - but a Duchess can come visit anytime she likes. At least he keeps his Harem out.

He will also consult Witches, Oracles and Alchemists, and may even let a Golem visit. A Golem! And the Militia is in and out there all the time.

It's no wonder he doesn't want his daughter the Princess there.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2013, 09:10:47 am »
+3

All the king's gold was stolen by pirates, but with help of a local graverobber he was able to retrieve it.
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2013, 09:21:47 am »
+8

A tournament winning knight's followers is consisted of witches, militia and barons.

Advisor: Your majesty, our explorers have discover a number of native villages across the ocean.
King: We should start colonization. We shall build bridges to improve the transportation infrastructure.
Advisor: But the native villages are all across the sea, we should focus on water transport...
King: No, just bridges, lots of them.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2013, 09:49:00 am »

That's why you need a lot of bridges.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2013, 10:30:58 am »
+1

All the king's gold was stolen by pirates, but with help of a local graverobber he was able to retrieve it.

Well, they got back the silver and gold at least, but they couldn't be bothered to dig up all that copper.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2013, 10:46:12 pm »
+3

King: Where's my court?
Someone else: Um, we need to be quiet about that...  You can only get one at the Black Market.  By the way, here's a few Goons we got for you.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2013, 09:19:56 am »
+2

Moneylender: I'd like to speak with the King.
Guard: He's very busy right now, but we shall ask him if he is willing to see you right now.
*a few minutes later, in the Library*
King: Why have you interrupted my research of the land and my studies on economic theory?
Guard: My Liege, a moneylender has asked to see you.
King: Bah, send him away.

Seriously, what in the world is going on with Library thematically? Does the King go there in his spare time or something? And why does it let you skip actions? Is it a central hub for all your staff?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 21 queries.