Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: the i'll use a coin token joke  (Read 13026 times)

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
Re: the i'll use a coin token joke
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 11:29:14 am »
+6

“Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.”

--E.B. White

Here, E.B. White is using a metaphor comparing a joke to a frog. Much like frog dissection leads to greater understanding of the frog, albeit at the cost of the life of the frog, explaining a joke, while it will aid in understanding, undermines the elements of the joke that typically lead to the desired comedic effect such as timing, wording, anticipation, and unexpected connections.

Edge case to E.B. White; the joke gets funnier when you metajoke it.

In case anyone doesn't get Witherweaver's comment, the quote by E.B. White could be considered a joke in it's own right due to the somewhat clever analogy. In my reply I did the very thing E.B. White's analogy warns against; I explained his joke. However, far from undermining the efficacy of his (i.e. E.B. White's) joke, the subversion of his analogy creates a humorous irony, which Witherweaver calls a 'metajoke' as it is a joke predicated on another joke.

Furthermore, Witherweaver refers to this subversion as an 'edge case' which is a common term used by members of this community to denote situations in the game of Dominion where general strategic guidelines or rules of thumb are less effective than usual. By applying this term, one which the audience is sufficiently familiar with, to a situation not relating specifically to the common usage, he creates a humorous comparison.

I just wanted you to know that I read both those posts in Lt. Commander Data's voice, and it'll probably stick for anything you write in the future.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 02:12:16 pm »
+1

“Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.”

--E.B. White

Here, E.B. White is using a metaphor comparing a joke to a frog. Much like frog dissection leads to greater understanding of the frog, albeit at the cost of the life of the frog, explaining a joke, while it will aid in understanding, undermines the elements of the joke that typically lead to the desired comedic effect such as timing, wording, anticipation, and unexpected connections.

Edge case to E.B. White; the joke gets funnier when you metajoke it.

In case anyone doesn't get Witherweaver's comment, the quote by E.B. White could be considered a joke in it's own right due to the somewhat clever analogy. In my reply I did the very thing E.B. White's analogy warns against; I explained his joke. However, far from undermining the efficacy of his (i.e. E.B. White's) joke, the subversion of his analogy creates a humorous irony, which Witherweaver calls a 'metajoke' as it is a joke predicated on another joke.

Furthermore, Witherweaver refers to this subversion as an 'edge case' which is a common term used by members of this community to denote situations in the game of Dominion where general strategic guidelines or rules of thumb are less effective than usual. By applying this term, one which the audience is sufficiently familiar with, to a situation not relating specifically to the common usage, he creates a humorous comparison.

I just wanted you to know that I read both those posts in Lt. Commander Data's voice, and it'll probably stick for anything you write in the future.

And now so did I.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 05:39:03 pm »
+3

In my experience, one of the best ways to make a non-funny joke funny is to explain it.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 06:11:55 pm »
+5

In my experience, one of the best ways to make a non-funny joke funny is to explain it.

Best of all, you can iterate.  If they don't find the explanation funny, then you can explain to them the humor of having explained the bad joke.  Iterating this technique sufficiently many times will almost surely earn you a smile.
Well you *do* need a signature...

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 06:31:00 pm »
+11

There's a friend of mine that we've made this joke about:

"When you tell him a joke, he laughs four times.

1. When he hears it.
2. When you explain it to him.
3. When he tells it.
4. When he gets it."

Now, the funny thing is, we told it to him, he laughed, then said he didn't get it.....
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 06:51:41 pm »
+3

There's a friend of mine that we've made this joke about:

"When you tell him a joke, he laughs four times.

1. When he hears it.
2. When you explain it to him.
3. When he tells it.
4. When he gets it."

Now, the funny thing is, we told it to him, he laughed, then said he didn't get it.....
Mint?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 01:57:33 pm »
+2

Best of all, you can iterate.  If they don't find the explanation funny, then you can explain to them the humor of having explained the bad joke.  Iterating this technique sufficiently many times will almost surely earn you a smile.

Now there is a question of the returns of the humor in iterative explaining.  If the humor function is monotone increasing as the number of explanations increases, does the image have a finite supremum?  If not, then every joke is inherently infinitely funny.  Since we know this a priori to the joke itself, we should be infinitely amused before even knowing the joke.  We should therefore be laughing all the time.

In fact, even if the humor function is bounded, we still know this ahead of time independent of the joke itself.  Thus we should always be going around at that level of amusement.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 03:20:03 pm »
+1

Possibly a theory of "humor renormalization" is required to physicalize these divergent amusement pole artifacts.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 03:35:04 pm »
+9

I'm pretty certain this thread's humor function has been asymptotically approaching zero for a while now.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 04:50:58 pm »

I'm pretty certain this thread's humor function has been asymptotically approaching zero for a while now.

In other words, the limit, as thread post count goes to infinity, of humor content in said thread, is equal to zero.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 04:54:04 pm »
+2

In other words, the limit, as thread post count goes to infinity, of humor content in said thread, is equal to zero.

lim (humor)thread post count-->8 on its side=0
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2013, 07:37:59 pm »

I really hope this becomes a ryan north thread now.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 05:51:56 am »

I can live with that as long as the sum goes to infinity.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 07:41:58 am »
+4

I can live with that as long as the sum goes to infinity.

...and beyond?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 10:25:32 pm »
+1

I hope so too. I recently got his choose your own adventure version of Hamlet. I highly recommend it.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2013, 10:41:22 pm »
+6

uhhhh jonts you know you just quoted yourself right
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 10:43:30 pm »
+4

This is why their name is plural.
Well you *do* need a signature...

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 10:46:40 pm »
+4

I was just fulfilling that handsome gentleman's wishes.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 10:45:48 pm »
+3

I hope so too. I recently got his choose your own adventure version of Hamlet. I highly recommend it.

To Be or Not To Be: That is the Adventure is indeed great. I've also read some of his adventure time comics, which I actually like better than the cartoon. You should read those if you like the show and/or ryan north's humor and/or rad adventures.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 2.055 seconds with 21 queries.