Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: random setup?  (Read 1818 times)

bodybuilder

• Alchemist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
random setup?
« on: May 20, 2013, 04:50:19 pm »

I have, thanks to your advice, dominion, intrigue, cornucopia, seaside and prosperity. and every time we do the setup random because we think that the best way to enjoy this great game.
I really like to play with action cards, and I take always varied, but my team always plays the strategy to take a lot of money and hurry up to buy provinces, I think it's called Big Money. and many times they are the ones to win easily.
then I ask you, it is best to put always in the setup at least a victory card alternative? (gardens, duke, etc. ..), or at least one attack card? or is there still a way to beat big money without these cards?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: random setup?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 05:18:33 pm »

Yes, big money is usually not very good. Make sure you're buying enough treasures yourself and having a nice balance between action cards and cards that give +actions, and buy Chapel if it's there. And even if your opponents get a few early Provinces, it's fine, because their decks are going to get slower and slower while your deck is going to get faster and faster, so don't hurry for the victory cards too early (however, hurry for them before the piles are empty).

Sometimes there will be the kingdom where Big Money with one or two action cards is dominant, but that doesn't happen very often if you randomize your kingdoms. And I think that it's fine.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:24:20 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:22:02 pm »
+1

Yes, you can beat Big Money without alternative victory cards or attack cards.

One method, and this is not the only method, is to build an "engine".

http://dominionstrategy.com/2012/07/30/building-the-first-game-engine/

This might get you started, but there's a number of forum posts about this too, by players who know much more than I do.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 05:58:11 pm »

Are you playing 4 player games?  Big Money strategies can be very effective (or at least more effective than very weak engines) in those.  Keep trying to build powerful decks, but you should always be aware of when a Big Money strategy is effective and try to weigh whether or not it's even worth building the engine.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.