Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 5/2 Options Against Familiar  (Read 1165 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
5/2 Options Against Familiar
« on: May 20, 2013, 04:31:08 pm »
+1

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130520/log.517d03b5e4b0b903ada05b62.1369081455304.txt

Smugglers, Tunnel, Familiar, Island, Noble Brigand, Laboratory, Margrave, Market, Saboteur, Wharf, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion

I got really lucky, both in the Curse split somehow, and the end-game, where I miraculously back-to-back Province despite having very little economy.

But that's not why I am posting this! I get the dreaded 5/2 vs. Familiar start, and I see multiple avenues to pursue:

1) Open Wharf -- Wharf will help me cycle faster, so that I can get into the Familiar game rather quickly. (I know ignoring Familiar entirely is possible with Wharf, but I think Labs will help the Familiar player too much, and negate this approach).

2) Open Margrave -- I can start hurting him immediately, and the +3 cards will also speed up my own pursuit of Potion and then Familiar.

3) Open Saboteur -- With a little luck, I can actually cripple his Potion or Familiars, and turn thie 5/2 to my advantage.

4) Open Laboratory -- Once I do have Familiars, I'm actually going to prefer Lab to Wharf, of course. Should I start now?

I opt for Wharf, but I am not convinced it was the right play. As I said, I do think I won the game off of absurd luck. What do you think?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
Re: 5/2 Options Against Familiar
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 05:42:43 pm »

I recently witnessed the effectiveness of a Saboteur opening against me. When you're buying 2-3 cards per shuffle, losing one of them is a big deal. In the early game, Saboteur never hits something unimportant, and when it hits, your compensation is you may gain a Copper or a Curse.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:55:39 pm »

I was once on the wrong side of a 5/2 opening with Saboteur. Eventually ended up with a four card deck (bishop for VP, forager for a buy, some card within the $2-3 range, and a copper. Trash the copper with forager, trash the other card with bishop, buy a card and copper, rinse and repeat.)
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:08:06 pm »

Wharf then familiar seems right.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:21:42 pm »

I was once on the wrong side of a 5/2 opening with Saboteur. Eventually ended up with a four card deck (bishop for VP, forager for a buy, some card within the $2-3 range, and a copper. Trash the copper with forager, trash the other card with bishop, buy a card and copper, rinse and repeat.)

That was an excellent opportunity for what's known as the 'Golden Deck'!

1: Trash the other card with Forager, don't play Bishop, buy 2 Coppers.
2: Trash Forager with Bishop, play 3 Coppers, buy Silver.
3: Trash Copper with Bishop, play Silver + 2 Coppers, buy Silver.
4: Trash Copper with Bishop, play 2 Silvers + Copper, buy Gold.
5: Trash Copper with Bishop, play Gold + 2 Silvers, buy Gold.
6: Trash Silver with Bishop, play 2 Golds + Silver, buy Province.
7: Trash Province with Bishop, play 2 Golds + Silver, buy Province.
8+: Repeat step 7 until all Provinces are gone.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.263 seconds with 20 queries.