Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: In Which Trading Post Steps Up and the HoP Mega Deck Fails  (Read 1005 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130518/log.514cd37de4b0fe3236619906.1368896783772.txt

Vagrant, Fortress, Ironworks, Scout, Young Witch, Highway, Horn of Plenty, Mine, Royal Seal, Trading Post, Hunting Grounds, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse
Bane card: Vagrant

Been meaning to write up this very interesting game against a high level opponent.

So, we both open Young Witch. I am really usually loathe to actually get the Bane on Turns 1-2, though, and here it's no different, whereas he takes Vagrant right off the bat.

I have a decent Turns 3/4, picking up Ironworks and Trading Post. Ironworks feels right: I can establish a Vagrant defense, and grab Fortresses for an eventual draw chain with Hunting Grounds. The Trading Post is the only available trashing, and that will really help here. Eventually I take Hunting Grounds, and then spend extra $5s on Highways.

My opponent gets a ton of Vagrants and Fortresses, but that doesn't help him hit $5. When he does, he also gets Hunting Ground, and eventually Horn. I think he wants the Horn megaturn. The problem is, he has no trashing! So it's just not going to come together for him. Meanwhile, I have a deck of mostly Silver, Highways, a few Fortresses, and Hunting Grounds, so I can draw $8 pretty reliably. And that's good enough for me, so I head for Provinces, not doing anything too fancy, just relying on my strong deck.

It turns into a fairly easy win. Anyway, I think the lesson is that weak trashing beats weak defending every time. My Turn 2 Silver gave me the best shot at Trading Post, and that's what made the difference.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: In Which Trading Post Steps Up and the HoP Mega Deck Fails
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:40:39 pm »

Clearly, Trading Post is underrated  ;)

With Ironworks, Highway, and Fortress, I wouldn't even bother with HoPs.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:47:48 pm »
+1

Anyway, I think the lesson is that weak trashing beats weak defending every time.
...he says on the basis of one game
(all emphases mine)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 02:55:37 pm »
+1

Anyway, I think the lesson is that weak trashing beats weak defending every time.
...he says on the basis of one game
(all emphases mine)

Well okay yes, but this is my example game for that theory I'm putting out there. I'm sure there are exceptions. I think it's generally true, though.

You're just pursuing your anti-Trading Post agenda here!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.405 seconds with 20 queries.