Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 72  All

Author Topic: Goko Dominion Salvager Discussion  (Read 603624 times)

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: Goko Dominion Salvager Discussion
« Reply #975 on: March 27, 2014, 11:45:26 am »
+1

Bug report, probably easily fixable: If I select nothing on the combo to choose how to sort people in the lobby, the list just appears blank. People appear and automatically disappear on the list, in a bunch when I go to a new room and then one by one (I am guessing that is when others join a room I am in).

This seems like it is simple, let me know if you need me to copy the console log. I am using Chrome in Ubuntu 13.10 and tried going to the extensions page and clicking "update extensions now" but it did not change the result.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: March 27, 2014, 02:12:39 pm »

Bug report, probably easily fixable: If I select nothing on the combo to choose how to sort people in the lobby, the list just appears blank. People appear and automatically disappear on the list, in a bunch when I go to a new room and then one by one (I am guessing that is when others join a room I am in).

This seems like it is simple, let me know if you need me to copy the console log. I am using Chrome in Ubuntu 13.10 and tried going to the extensions page and clicking "update extensions now" but it did not change the result.

Thanks.  No need for log.

Edit: Fixed in v2.5.1.3
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:24:54 pm by ragingduckd »
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: March 27, 2014, 08:09:38 pm »
+5

New beta: v2.5.3.0
  • Autokick by Isotropish level -- enable it in options
  • Auto-Automatch using Isotropish level
Autokick by level is fully functional immediately.  To activate it, enable it in options and put something like "L10+" in your title.  You can also use pro rating restrictions at the same time, like "4000+, L10+".  It doesn't parse negative numbers correctly, so don't try putting "L-5+" to mean "at least level -5."

Auto-automatch by level won't be fully functional until everyone is on the new version.  For now, it only checks Iso level if you're matching with another beta version user... others get a free pass.  So if you just put "L10+", you'll match with any beta user with Iso level 10 or higher, but with any non-beta user at all.  So I suggest using both Pro and Iso requirements simultaneously for now.

Edit: This definitely deserves to get thoroughly tested before it goes into the mean release, so it might be a little while.  Right now there's only a half-dozen people testing using the beta and several hundred regular users.  Please consider switching to beta!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:16:31 pm by ragingduckd »
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 27, 2014, 08:47:09 pm »
+2

Please consider switching to beta!

I switched. All the cool kids use the beta version now!

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: March 27, 2014, 08:52:42 pm »
+3

I used the beta version before all the cool kids switched to it.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: March 28, 2014, 02:39:27 am »
+1

Where would you like comments/bug reports on the beta?  Just in this thread?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: March 28, 2014, 04:57:06 am »
+1

The best thing is to create a new github issue.  That will send an email to me and the other contributors without bothering other people on the forum.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #982 on: March 28, 2014, 06:58:35 am »
+1

Autokick by level is fully functional immediately.  To activate it, enable it in options and put something like "L10+" in your title.  You can also use pro rating restrictions at the same time, like "4000+, L10+".  It doesn't parse negative numbers correctly, so don't try putting "L-5+" to mean "at least level -5."

If you use both Iso and Pro rating autokick, does it require both restrictions to be true or either one of the restrictions to be true?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: March 28, 2014, 07:28:42 am »
+1

If you use both Iso and Pro rating autokick, does it require both restrictions to be true or either one of the restrictions to be true?

both

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: March 28, 2014, 03:09:11 pm »

The best thing is to create a new github issue.  That will send an email to me and the other contributors without bothering other people on the forum.

Also, please remember to include your Salvager version number when you post a bug.  Actually, the version gets printed out at the start, so the best thing is just to post the whole long log... that's much more helpful than an excerpt with just the errors anyway.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: March 28, 2014, 03:44:48 pm »

AI, do you have numbers about how many users use GokoSalvager?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: March 28, 2014, 04:05:53 pm »
+4

I actually just started logging that in a reliable way a week ago.  Since then, there have been 563 distinct users.   I expect that's maybe half of the total number, with the remainder being mostly casual and infrequent users.

There's also this from the Chrome Store, for what it's worth:

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: March 28, 2014, 05:49:33 pm »

I actually just started logging that in a reliable way a week ago.  Since then, there have been 563 distinct users.   I expect that's maybe half of the total number, with the remainder being mostly casual and infrequent users.

What caused the spike in late February and the drop in March?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 28, 2014, 11:06:17 pm »

What caused the spike in late February and the drop in March?

Honestly, no clue.  President's Day and Ash Wednesday?

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: March 29, 2014, 12:28:27 am »

You're fired.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: March 29, 2014, 12:51:23 am »

You're fired.

About time.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: March 29, 2014, 06:21:33 am »
+1

I really want to start using HTML5 Promises in Salvager's code.  Unfortunately, Apple is lazy and awful and still hasn't implemented Promises in Safari.  Is anyone actually using the Safari version and if so is continuing to use it important to you?

Answer in the poll please.

jl8e

• Steward
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: March 29, 2014, 03:18:47 pm »
+1

I really want to start using HTML5 Promises in Salvager's code.  Unfortunately, Apple is lazy and awful and still hasn't implemented Promises in Safari.

Yet, anyway. It seems to be in the WebKit source, so I’d expect to see it at some point.

Is there a problem with using the polyfill until then?

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 29, 2014, 03:26:55 pm »

I really want to start using HTML5 Promises in Salvager's code.  Unfortunately, Apple is lazy and awful and still hasn't implemented Promises in Safari.

Yet, anyway. It seems to be in the WebKit source, so I’d expect to see it at some point.

Probably not.  I didn't know such a thing existed.  Do I just need to include a JS library like this one?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #994 on: March 29, 2014, 03:55:20 pm »
+2

I couldn't find whether this was addressed before, but is there a way to filter people based on Isotropish level? (Something like L30+ instead of 5000+)

Not yet, but probably soon.
For me this gets dangerously close to forcing people not using external tools to start doing this. Someone who doesn't use Salvager and doesn't visit gokosalvager.com cannot even check his Isotropish level. Goko Pro level can be easily checked from within the client.

Ok, gonna rant here.  And I'm only speaking for myself, not for michaeljb or the other contributors to Salvager:

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the troglodytes who still don't use the extension.  The extension works pretty hard a little bit at being friendly to them, with features like #vp?, auto-automatch, and auto-kick explanation messages (currently beta).  But there are limits to how much I'll deny to people who use my software for the benefit of those who don't.

If I implement kick-by-iso, the auto-kick messages will refer people to isotropish.com. Isotropish ratings change far slower than Goko ratings, so it's not like they'd have to be constantly checking either.

Personally, I really want this feature because seeing Pro and Isotropish ratings side by side keeps reminding me of what a joke Goko's Pro system is.  I really hate putting in 5000+ and getting a level 20 opponent.  That's just not going to be a fun game.  But do I kick the guy?  It seems like a dick move, since he satisfies the criterion I listed.

For mid- and low-range players, the problem is far, far worse.  Just look at this godawful mess:

Majacian is thinking he's a little better than (V)_*,,,*_(V) because he's got a higher Pro rating.  (V)_*,,,*_(V) is probably getting kicked from some games that Majacian can enter.  Meanwhile, (V)_*,,,*_(V) is actually 32 levels higher than Majacian.  That's like Banker Bot thinking it's a little better than Stef.

The problem gets worse the lower you go because Goko's worst tweaks to TrueSkill have their largest effect on low-rated players.  But even near the top, the volatility is a huge problem.  I briefly overtook SCSN on Goko Pro after a lucky run yesterday... Isotropish still had him as several levels above me, where he belongs.

And before you ask, yes, Isotropish is right and Goko Pro is wrong.  Absolutely no doubt.  Someone else can collect the data and analyze the win prediction accuracy of both systems... I'm not even going to bother.

I also agree with soulnet that it's really the user's choice.  If you think it's rude, don't use it.  Call me an arms dealer if you must... I'm big on personal liberty.
I assume you won't mind a counter-rant.

You have NO evidence that Isotropish is a better indicator of skill than the Dominion Online (hereafter DO, aka Goko/MF, whatever) pro leaderboard.

To be fair, you can't actually get good evidence, since you can't calculate predictions off of the DO ratings, since they don't put out the information necessary. But to still be fair, you don't bother to do this either, and are explicitly too lazy to here, so it's not a particularly strong point in isotropish's favor, either. A LOT of what you describe in the page you link to isn't actually issues with the rating system, but issues with just other bugs with their software (e.g. it gets the winning player wrong, the 0 difference on some games, etc.). All your examples here, you don't actually have any evidence that your system is right in comparison - you say things like "person X thinks he's better, but he's much worse", except you don't accept this without assuming your conclusion that your system is better to start with.

Is TrueSkill a good system for Dominion? Well, maybe. It's a fine thing to try at least. But you know, that doesn't mean that THIS IMPLEMENTATION is any good. It seems to me that this implementation is actually pretty crummy - it moves way, way, way too slow. And this jives with some people's thoughts, because they just 'know' that player X is better than Y, and this conventional wisdom, which was true at some point, continues to be propagated, even if there's good evidence against it from recent results, because your system moves incredibly slowly. I'm pretty sure your parameters are just set to be far too stodgy. How can this be? Well, you don't actually have any data analyzing the predictions to tell you what good parameters are. But beyond this, why are your parameters set to what they are? Well, it's based on perceptions from the iso days. And the perceptions, which could have been wrong to start with, were based on a day-to-day increase in uncertainty level, which you got rid of. So.... these parameters are significantly stodgier than it was, even if those were correct. And I tend to think (though admittedly, this is just my gut feeling), that they were a little bit too stodgy to start with.

But the biggest issue I have is definitely that you're still going off of the 'level' thing, and not just rating rating. Since you're cutting off inactive players, I really really don't think this is needed.

So ok, it's obviously not that I think that the DO ratings are particularly good, and I definitely don't have any evidence other than my anecdotal feeling that they're better than yours. But for Pete's sake, you have zero evidence the other way either...

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: March 29, 2014, 05:06:41 pm »
+1

Yay, I'm a cool kid!

...yay?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: March 29, 2014, 05:12:02 pm »
+6

Yay, I'm a cool kid!

...yay?

He said all the cool kids are using the beta version, not that all the kids using the beta version are cool.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: March 29, 2014, 05:14:57 pm »
+3

A couple of feature requests: Make isotropish rating appear when you click on a person's name, and in the automatch thing.

jl8e

• Steward
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: March 29, 2014, 10:47:56 pm »
+1

Probably not.  I didn't know such a thing existed.  Do I just need to include a JS library like this one?

Looks like it. It’ll add Promise into the global namespace if it doesn’t already exist.

I can beta Safari versions if need be.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: March 30, 2014, 10:39:58 pm »

So I'm on Chrome and my extension was not updating to the most recent version.  My workaround was to uninstall and re-download from the Chrome store.  Ever since then though I don't seem to be able to connect to the salvager server.  I can't upload a new avatar and it won't connect to automatch.  Any suggestions?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 72  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.