Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 72  All

Author Topic: Goko Dominion Salvager Discussion  (Read 603646 times)

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
Re: Goko Dominion Salvager Discussion
« Reply #1175 on: April 11, 2014, 04:30:02 pm »
+2

Oh man, I hate that. There should be a way to send a message to the person you're declining. I mean that's probably too cumbersome but I feel bad about that kind of thing all the time.

Feature Request: A way to send a message when you decline an automatch.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #1176 on: April 11, 2014, 04:38:55 pm »

I promise not to invade your privacy like that.

An argument which has never failed to make anyone feel safe....

Ok, I don't think you were actually going to without some particular (and highly unlikely) reason, because you don't seem to be a jerk-ish kind of guy in that way, but this statement is entirely unconvincing, a la "I'm not lying to you".

jl8e

• Steward
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 11, 2014, 05:54:17 pm »

But it makes the editing impossible.

True. That requirement makes it impossible for the server admin to be unable to easily look at people’s blacklists.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 12, 2014, 01:04:53 am »
+6

Oh man, I hate that. There should be a way to send a message to the person you're declining. I mean that's probably too cumbersome but I feel bad about that kind of thing all the time.

Feature Request: A way to send a message when you decline an automatch.

Implemented in v2.5.3.6 beta (just released).  I added a private chat dialog between the matched players.  The chat gets repeated in the Notification message when someone declines or disconnects.

It's a little ugly, especially with multi-line chat sessions, because I can't figure out how to do a newline in a Notification message.  Obviously they could be cleaned up a bit, but they get job done for now.  You do have to actually press enter to submit your chat for it to show up in the Notification.

Edit: Cross-version incompatibility... this won't actually do anything unless both players are using the beta. :P

Edit: I got a chance to field-test this when I bumped into florrat a few hours ago.  It works nicely, but there's one "gotcha" to watch out for... if you've already accepted the match and are chatting while you wait for your opponent to accept, you might accidentally hit the abort button!  I'll fix this in the next beta.

This version also contains a fix to the automatch vpon/off issues (hopefully).  I'll release as official when I'm confident that that option is working correctly.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:15:18 am by ragingduckd »
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 12, 2014, 11:38:49 am »

It's a little ugly, especially with multi-line chat sessions, because I can't figure out how to do a newline in a Notification message.

You can't use \n?  What kind of monstrosity is this!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: April 12, 2014, 11:57:28 am »

It's a little ugly, especially with multi-line chat sessions, because I can't figure out how to do a newline in a Notification message.

You can't use \n?  What kind of monstrosity is this!

No support for \n, nor \r, nor <br>, nor the html characters for carriage return or line feed.  It's almost enough to make you think they did it on purpose!
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 13, 2014, 03:16:28 pm »

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but "gokologs.drunkensailor.org" now triggers a block on my antivirus software (Kaspersky). "isotropish.com" and "andrewiannaccone.com" do not. Have you discontinued drunkensailor?
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #1182 on: April 13, 2014, 03:18:23 pm »

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but "gokologs.drunkensailor.org" now triggers a block on my antivirus software (Kaspersky). "isotropish.com" and "andrewiannaccone.com" do not. Have you discontinued drunkensailor?

He's been trying to warn folks that this would happen. You want gokosalvager.com
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 03:50:12 pm by amalloy »

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 13, 2014, 03:46:50 pm »

He's been trying to warn folks that this would happen. You want gokosalavger.com

I know he's been saying it would go away. I'm just checking that this is in fact the reason behind the new behaviour. Also, links with typos are not the best kind of links... :-P
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

amalloy

• Witch
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #1184 on: April 13, 2014, 03:50:46 pm »
+4

He's been trying to warn folks that this would happen. You want gokosalavger.com

I know he's been saying it would go away. I'm just checking that this is in fact the reason behind the new behaviour. Also, links with typos are not the best kind of links... :-P

Sorry, I was tying from my phone. At least there was only one typo! It was gokpsalavger the first time.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: April 13, 2014, 05:22:32 pm »

Sorry, I was tying from my phone. At least there was only one typo! It was gokpsalavger the first time.

Yeah, sorry for not letting people know.  I'm moving everything to gokpsalavger.com.  :D

Ok, seriously, please use gokosalvager.com for everything.  I've just updated the server's SSL certificate rules, so you shouldn't get errors at that address anymore, regardless of whether you connect by http:// or https://.

Please don't post links to game logs or kingdoms through drunkensailor.org or andrewiannaccone.com!  Your posts may break!  I'll keep redirecting from the other addresses for as long as I can, but I can't guarantee drunkensailor because I don't own it, and I'd like to use andrewiannaccone.com for other purposes.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 13, 2014, 06:08:51 pm »
+2

Feature request again (hopefully this one will generate less argument than my last):

How often have you played a really fun game and thought, "I want to try this kingdom again?"  What I envision is some sort of "Save this kingdom for later" button to appear at the end of a game, and let me either put it right into my MF saved kingdoms, or if that's difficult, save it on gokosalvager.com as a kingdom-generator string, and add a way to get those saved strings back from the kingdom generator interface.  Obviously this couldn't be used for repeated pro games, and I know a lot of folks here play mostly pro.  Maybe some day MF will do a version of this that includes options like "Pro rematch with same kingdom."  But I'd still use it to try out different things in Casual on especially interesting boards, either against bots or willing opponents, just to learn how to play boards with lots of options. 

If this gets done, a logical extension might be public/private kingdom lists, and an interface where I could, say, look up Stef's shared favorite boards, or whoever.  This might be useful for a tournament organizer, for instance, to say something like, "The Gokodom contest-winning kingdoms are on Qvist's shared list.  Gokodom players who use Salvager may get them there for easier game setup." 

Aside: Do the Salvager devs have any special rules set up for contributing, or is it just "fork the github project and submit your changes when ready?"  Time permitting, I think I'd like to try and help out. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

amalloy

• Witch
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #1187 on: April 13, 2014, 06:16:04 pm »
+2

Do the Salvager devs have any special rules set up for contributing, or is it just "fork the github project and submit your changes when ready?"  Time permitting, I think I'd like to try and help out.

Fork+fix is all I did, when I made my minor change. If you're doing anything substantial you probably want to check with AI to see whether he would accept it before you sink a bunch of work into it, but I don't think he has any administrative hoops for you to jump through.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 13, 2014, 06:39:28 pm »

Do the Salvager devs have any special rules set up for contributing, or is it just "fork the github project and submit your changes when ready?"  Time permitting, I think I'd like to try and help out.

Fork+fix is all I did, when I made my minor change. If you're doing anything substantial you probably want to check with AI to see whether he would accept it before you sink a bunch of work into it, but I don't think he has any administrative hoops for you to jump through.

By all means, fork away!  No hoop-jumping, but it's best to ask if any other developer is already working on the your feature or has work in progress that you can make use of.  You'll probably also want to read a little about Salvager's framework. 

If you want me to release your version, merge it into the "beta" branch and then submit a pull request back to my repo.  I'll deploy your work into the beta immediately and into the official release as soon as I've gotten feedback from beta testers.

How often have you played a really fun game and thought, "I want to try this kingdom again?"  What I envision is some sort of "Save this kingdom for later" button to appear at the end of a game, and let me either put it right into my MF saved kingdoms, or if that's difficult, save it on gokosalvager.com as a kingdom-generator string, and add a way to get those saved strings back from the kingdom generator interface.  Obviously this couldn't be used for repeated pro games, and I know a lot of folks here play mostly pro.  Maybe some day MF will do a version of this that includes options like "Pro rematch with same kingdom."  But I'd still use it to try out different things in Casual on especially interesting boards, either against bots or willing opponents, just to learn how to play boards with lots of options. 

If this gets done, a logical extension might be public/private kingdom lists, and an interface where I could, say, look up Stef's shared favorite boards, or whoever.  This might be useful for a tournament organizer, for instance, to say something like, "The Gokodom contest-winning kingdoms are on Qvist's shared list.  Gokodom players who use Salvager may get them there for easier game setup." 

I think this would be a great feature!  The easiest way to store boards is probably using the HTML5 localStorage object.  GS has an interface for that, though it's easy enough to do directly.  If you prefer, you could store and share favorite boards using the backend for the gokosalvager server.  I'd be happy to help with that.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 13, 2014, 07:52:31 pm »

By all means, fork away!  No hoop-jumping, but it's best to ask if any other developer is already working on the your feature or has work in progress that you can make use of.  You'll probably also want to read a little about Salvager's framework. 

If you want me to release your version, merge it into the "beta" branch and then submit a pull request back to my repo.  I'll deploy your work into the beta immediately and into the official release as soon as I've gotten feedback from beta testers.
Sweet, I'll read over that page and, if my day-job is any indicator, probably pepper you with further questions before I dive into any coding :)  Of course the obvious question is whether anyone's working on the feature I just suggested but I'd guess the answer is "not yet." 

I think this would be a great feature!  The easiest way to store boards is probably using the HTML5 localStorage object.  GS has an interface for that, though it's easy enough to do directly.  If you prefer, you could store and share favorite boards using the backend for the gokosalvager server.  I'd be happy to help with that.
Thanks!  At first glance I think using your backend allows saved decks to persist across devices, and enables the whole "shared favorites" thing, but if localStorage is significantly easier, it could still be the way to go.  Depends on how many people would (a) use the feature in the first place, and (b) want to share their favorite decks and see what others have shared.  If there's a lot of (a) but not much of (b) then localStorage is probably the answer.  I guess while I'm getting up to speed on Salvager, I'll see if any strong opinions get posted here, or maybe make a poll.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 14, 2014, 11:01:13 am »
+1

I just got auto-matched with someone with base set only.

Edit:  And for some reason it didn't set me up as host.  So... big problem there.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:05:23 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 14, 2014, 11:12:32 am »
+1

Edit:  And for some reason it didn't set me up as host.  So... big problem there.

Thanks.  I'll look into it.

Matching you with a base-only player is correct behavior, but making him the host is not right.  AM should always choose the player with more sets as host.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 14, 2014, 11:59:24 am »

Thanks.  I'll look into it.

Matching you with a base-only player is correct behavior, but making him the host is not right.  AM should always choose the player with more sets as host.

Right, I was just posting quickly... Obviously nothing wrong with the matching, just the hosting.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 14, 2014, 12:05:33 pm »
+9

There's a reason it happens to you and not just to anyone: it's Andrew's way of saying "I better make it to the Gokodom final..."

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 14, 2014, 12:07:18 pm »
+8

There's a reason it happens to you and not just to anyone: it's Andrew's way of saying "I better make it to the Gokodom final..."

Thank you for translating, SCSN.  I've never been very good at making my threats clear.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 14, 2014, 10:42:54 pm »

Thank you for translating, SCSN.  I've never been very good at making my threats clear.

Algorithms, man.  All I have is algorithms.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 14, 2014, 11:02:17 pm »
+2

Final results on the "Would you use identical starting hands?" poll were 10 Always/Often, 50 Rarely/Never.

I'll talk more later about this and the other volatile recent Salvager topics, but I don't plan to implement identical starts anytime soon, if at all.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 14, 2014, 11:23:12 pm »
+4

Just released beta 2.5.3.7, which adds two new contributions from michaeljb:
  • Kingdom generator adds "All" to the formula by default
  • Add Isotropish rating to the player details popup
The kingdom generator default means that you'll no longer get an error if you enter "Witch, Moat" into the generator.  You'll get a kingdom with Witch, Moat, and eight random cards.  The default behavior is changed only when an error would otherwise be generated.  So if you enter "Seaside," you still get a kingdom of ten Seaside cards, not one Seaside and nine random (which is what "Seaside, All" would produce).

I'll keep encouraging michaeljb to post about his contributions here, but for now, here's another random post of his for you to upvote.

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 14, 2014, 11:30:29 pm »
+13

I'll keep encouraging michaeljb to post about his contributions here, but for now, here's another random post of his for you to upvote.

Next time I'll actually post here, probably. If I feel like it. Or I might just wait and see what random post of mine you link to next.

If anyone says "post of mint" so help me I will mod-slap you.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:31:51 pm by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 14, 2014, 11:35:05 pm »
+10

Next time I'll actually post here, probably. If I feel like it. Or I might just wait and see what random post of mine you link to next.

If anyone says "post of mint" so help me I will mod-slap you.
Post of mint what?

*braces self*

User was slapped for this post.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:36:47 pm by michaeljb »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 72  All

Page created in 2.402 seconds with 20 queries.