Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A bunch of Victory-related cards  (Read 6663 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
A bunch of Victory-related cards
« on: May 14, 2013, 11:49:34 pm »

I got some of these from various places, but here goes:

Isolationist - $? Victory
Worth 1 VP per Province in the supply.

Conqueror - $? Action
Trash up to three cards from your hand.  +VP per card you trash.

Herald - $? Victory
Worth 1 VP per three Victory Points you have (excluding points from copies of Herald)

Battlefield - $? Action - Reaction
Discard any number of cards.  +VP per 2 cards you discard.  If you discard more than 5 cards this way, trash this.
-----
When another play plays an attack card, you may discard this.  If you do, +1 VP.

Courtier - $? Action - Victory
Worth 1VP per every 3 Victory Tokens you have.
-----
+1 VP

Mainly, ideas for costs and minor tweaks to each card is what I'm looking for.  The trashing the second-to-last one is so you can't pull off a megaturn every single turn.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 03:29:58 pm by sudgy »
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
Re: A bunch of Victory-related cards
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:57:00 pm »

I got some of these from various places, but here goes:

Something - $? Victory

Something - $? Action

Something - $? Victory
Worth 1 VP per three Victory Points you have (excluding this card)

Something - $? Action - Reaction
Discard any number of cards.  +VP per 2 cards you discard.  If you discard more than 5 cards this way, trash this.
-----
When another play plays an attack card, you may discard this.  If you do, +1 VP.

Something - $? Action - Victory
-----
+1 VP

Mainly, ideas for costs and minor tweaks to each card is what I'm looking for.  The trashing the second-to-last one is so you can't pull off a megaturn every single turn.

I like the idea of a super-charged, odd Great Hall-ish thing:

Something - $?
Action - Victory
+1 Action
+1 Card

Worth 2 Victory Points for every Province in the Trash.

So trash 3 provinces and this card is worth a province, but isn't a drag on your deck.  Good timing for three piling plus buying and trashing provinces for points would require some skill, I think.  Would the card be worth going after?  Also counters Sab's worst attack.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:04:11 am »

I like the idea of a super-charged, odd Great Hall-ish thing:

Something - $?
Action - Victory
+1 Action
+1 Card

Worth 2 Victory Points for every Province in the Trash.

So trash 3 provinces and this card is worth a province, but isn't a drag on your deck.  Good timing for three piling plus buying and trashing provinces for points would require some skill, I think.  Would the card be worth going after?  Also counters Sab's worst attack.
That would also get randomly buffed by Swindler and Bishop (Salvager and Apprentice maybe). In Colony games, the Rebuild or Expand implications are interesting. I wouldn't ever want it printed because it depends on trashing to be relevant (except for edge cases with the Action/Victory type).  This card is also vastly different in power in large multiplayer games.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:55:35 am »

I think they are cool... But isn't it confusing if all cards have the same name?

More serious:
Something - $? Victory

If i have 4 Somethings and three Estates, wouldn't i get unlimited VPs? At least it's something you can argue about.

Edit: How about:
Something - $? Victory
Worth 1 VP per three Victory Points you have (excluding points from copies of Something)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:59:46 am by Asper »

jbrecken

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 12:59:28 pm »

Here are some suggestions for names:

Isolationist - $? Victory

Conqueror - $? Action

Herald - $? Victory

Battlefield - $? Action - Reaction
-----

Courtier - $? Action - Victory
-----
+1 VP

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 03:01:55 pm »

The Herald thing is just a "win more" card. If you already have a VP lead, you are getting more of an edge from Heralds than your opponent. Plus the math is pretty difficult (Do I get a Duchy, which improves my previous Heralds? Do I get another Herald? Are Heralds worth 4 VP to me already?).

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 03:28:07 pm »

@ash: While the idea is good, Provinces might never be trashed...

@Asper-edit: That's what I meant, I'll change it.

@jbrecken: Those names are fine, I'll use those.

@One Armed Man: I see your point...  I was just thinking of a bunch of random ideas.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 04:18:15 pm »

Since some time i was thinking about a VP card that would trash Provinces from the supply on gain. I'll just throw it in here, though it's probably not very good.

Something
7(?)$, Victory
Worth 2 VP + 1 VP per Province in the trash.

When you gain this, trash a Province from the supply.

Nice in games where you don't get 8$, but often 7$. First one is a Duchy, second makes both worth 4, third makes them worth 5, 4th, half in a 2-player game, makes them Provinces. Does/doesn't help with the Province split. Maximum points with two players is 8, with 3+ it's 12. unless somebody buys Provinces faster...

Edit: Well, maybe it's a 8$, which changes a lot.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:20:05 pm by Asper »

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 08:25:25 pm »

Herald is truly overpowered. In a regular game you get 4 Provinces + 3 estates. With 3 Provinces + 3 Estates this card is already worth more than Province, so it should cost at least 8. I think you should cut down the number of VPs to 4 or 5, probably 5, since in a regular game you end up with ~30 VPs, so /5 would make Herald a Province, which is pretty good if it costs $6 for instance, but you have to take the time to buy Heralds instead of Provinces. I think it should definitely cost $6, because it will be much more often than not better than a Duchy. You can use this one for the $7 consolation prize if you like that idea.

I like this one, although is hard to write:

Hills - Victory $6
Worth 1 VP per $ in the maximum cost among the most abundant costs in cards in your deck.

Having more $3s (Silvers and possibly others) than Coppers is not rare, and in those cases this would be a Duchy. Having several $4s or $5s is not so rare either (like, 4 or 5 wharves and some Duchies). If you can trash some Coppers or get tons of Golds and Hills, this can be a province (however, getting tons of Golds you can just buy Provinces). It has neat interaction with Prosperity due to more expensive cards.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 09:47:22 pm »

Trashing Provinces seems like a bad idea to me. Especially on gain. I can finish the game without ever hitting 8 and without even finishing 3 piles. Its adding a new way to end the game, which is "Finish the Something Pile."

How about this:

Dandelion- Victory-$2
Worth 1VP if you have at least one Estate in your deck
--------
When you gain this, gain an estate

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 09:50:15 pm »

Trashing Provinces seems like a bad idea to me. Especially on gain. I can finish the game without ever hitting 8 and without even finishing 3 piles. Its adding a new way to end the game, which is "Finish the Something Pile."

How about this:

Dandelion- Victory-$2
--------

Um, that's almost strictly worse than an Estate...

Also, how about changing the Herald from 3 VP to 5 VP?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 10:26:15 pm »

How about this:

Dandelion- Victory-$2
--------

Um, that's almost strictly worse than an Estate...

True, maybe change it to $1. It does empty 2 piles simultaneously though.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 07:24:06 am »

It's not like that wasn't the idea.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 11:01:52 am »
+1

Yeah, I'm just saying I'm not a huge fan of the idea. Games with this probably would mean no one buys Provinces. Especially with the 2VP on it. All I need is to buy 4 of these and Provinces are no longer viable, since they are more expensive and of the same number of points. It's easier to hit $7 more consistently than $8, obviously, so Provinces really aren't a good strategy to beat this card. You would need 4 Provinces BEFORE 4 of this card are bought , and then the game is risking to be at an end at any time, so it may be smarter just to see how many of this card I can buy before the other guy (Hmmm, just sounds like having Provinces at $7 now).

And you could boost the price to $8 to compete with Provinces, but then this card is just dumb. You're buying something which might be a Province if you buy 4 of them BEFORE the other player buys 4 Provinces...sounds just like buying regular provinces to me, except you'll lose by more if you can't get 4 of them.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 12:49:45 pm »

Yeah, I'm just saying I'm not a huge fan of the idea. Games with this probably would mean no one buys Provinces. Especially with the 2VP on it. All I need is to buy 4 of these and Provinces are no longer viable, since they are more expensive and of the same number of points. It's easier to hit $7 more consistently than $8, obviously, so Provinces really aren't a good strategy to beat this card. You would need 4 Provinces BEFORE 4 of this card are bought , and then the game is risking to be at an end at any time, so it may be smarter just to see how many of this card I can buy before the other guy (Hmmm, just sounds like having Provinces at $7 now).

And you could boost the price to $8 to compete with Provinces, but then this card is just dumb. You're buying something which might be a Province if you buy 4 of them BEFORE the other player buys 4 Provinces...sounds just like buying regular provinces to me, except you'll lose by more if you can't get 4 of them.

Hmm... Valid points. I can't really argue about it. I still kind of like the mechanism, but i guess it doesn't work this way... Maybe it could work as an expensive Action card or something like that...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 01:00:13 pm »

Hmm... Valid points. I can't really argue about it. I still kind of like the mechanism, but i guess it doesn't work this way... Maybe it could work as an expensive Action card or something like that...

Perhaps I was a bit hard on the idea. It could work, but perhaps try it with Duchies. That might work. or yeah, try it on an action card like:

Action-Victory-$6
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Discard a card
Worth 1VP per Duchy in the trash
-------------
When you gain this, trash a Duchy from the supply.

Probably not balance, but the idea is there. Or perhaps make it just for any VP cards in the trash, like:

Action Victory-$4
You may trash a card from your hand
Worth 2VP+1VP per Victory in the trash.

It may be similar to island in the sense that it won't be a strategy in it's own, but you could  pile those starting estate all into on card, essentially taking them out of your deck.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 01:02:42 pm »

That might be a bit OP though,  buy an Estate, trash it and your starting ones, and you have a Province.  Just do a few more, and it's more.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 01:05:35 pm »

That might be a bit OP though,  buy an Estate, trash it and your starting ones, and you have a Province.  Just do a few more, and it's more.

Maybe. You would still have to buy the estate, trash them, buy the Something card and finish a third pile. Perhaps take off the 2VP.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 11:43:42 am »

My first idea for Province-trashing was like this:

Something
7$, Victory
2 VP

When you gain this, gain a Duchy and an Estate, and trash a Province from the supply.

It's worse than a Province, because you get 3 VP cards, but then again, it's cheaper and will maybe make the game end before your opponents can get Provinces themselves. It has the same issue as my other suggestion, in that it doesn't exactly add a lot...

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 12:14:04 pm »

Something
7$, Victory
2 VP

When you gain this, gain a Duchy and an Estate, and trash a Province from the supply.

It's worse than a Province, because you get 3 VP cards, but then again, it's cheaper and will maybe make the game end before your opponents can get Provinces themselves. It has the same issue as my other suggestion, in that it doesn't exactly add a lot...

This card is really scary. Depleting 4 piles at once? Also, with Silk Road it would be CRAZY good, athough the $7 cost is terrible for regular SR rush or slog. Silk Road is usually terrible for engines, but in this case, it seems like it may work, and it would be great for megaturn or good NV engines that hide green in the mat.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 12:20:34 pm »
+1

Something
7$, Victory
2 VP

This card is really scary. Depleting 4 piles at once? Also, with Silk Road it would be CRAZY good, athough the $7 cost is terrible for regular SR rush or slog. Silk Road is usually terrible for engines, but in this case, it seems like it may work, and it would be great for megaturn or good NV engines that hide green in the mat.

I think the fact that it depletes 4 piles is ok, since it gums up your deck so much. I like this one a lot more. It doesn't have the same problem of just being a cheaper Province, since hitting consistently is tough, although it would be nice in the end game. I see a similarity to Farmland in that it would be a good pickup if possible, but may not always be a great strategy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:22:59 pm by KingZog3 »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 10:30:50 pm »

Something
7$, Victory
2 VP

I think the fact that it depletes 4 piles is ok, since it gums up your deck so much. I like this one a lot more. It doesn't have the same problem of just being a cheaper Province, since hitting consistently is tough, although it would be nice in the end game. I see a similarity to Farmland in that it would be a good pickup if possible, but may not always be a great strategy.

I'll playtest it a bit to see if it adds enough. Thank you for your feedback. Possible name for the card: Clearance.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.334 seconds with 21 queries.