Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trashing Feodum with Apprentice  (Read 1787 times)

razuge

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Trashing Feodum with Apprentice
« on: May 14, 2013, 04:03:42 pm »

I trashed a feodum with an apprentice and had no cards left in my deck (or, at least, I had less than 4). Apprentice will draw me 4 cards because feodum has a cost of 4, but when feodum gets trashed, I gain three silvers.

When I played this, I couldn't find a ruling in either the apprentice or feodum basic rules, but my inclination was that the +Cards from apprentice happens first because apprentice is played first.

But I can also see the silvers going to my discard before I draw cards because the trash happens before the +cards, and when feodum is trashed it pauses the game to take care of the trash effect.

Can anyone clarify with a definitive ruling? I'm leaning more towards the latter interpretation, rather than my first inclination.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Trashing Feodum with Apprentice
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 04:07:44 pm »
+2

Simple answer: It is the latter.  Apprentice trashes, then draws.  Feodum gains Silver when trashed, and that will happen immediately, i.e. it happens when Apprentice trashes and before it draws.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 04:09:03 pm »

Trashing happens right when Apprentice tells you to trash a card. Feodum's on trash ability sort of interrupts Apprentice's execution, so you do this:

1 play apprentice, moving it to your play area and choosing a card to trash (feodum)
2 trash the chosen card, and take care of it's on-trash stuff (gain 3 silvers)
3 draw cards based on the trashed card's cost
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:10:24 pm »

Longer answer:

If multiple events are supposed to happen at the same time, the rule of thumb is that you get to decide which happens first.  For example, suppose you play Apprentice with a Cultist and a Market Square in hand.  You trash the Cultist.  At this point, there is the on-trash effect of Cultist (draw 3 cards) and the effect of Market Square that triggers when another card is trashed (gain a Gold).  Since they are simultaneous, you choose which to do first.  You can draw 3 cards (Cultist), gain Gold (discarding MS), then draw 5 more cards (Apprentice).  Or you could gain the Gold first, then draw 3, then draw 5.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:22:51 pm »
+1

Longer answer:

If multiple events are supposed to happen at the same time, the rule of thumb is that you get to decide which happens first.  For example, suppose you play Apprentice with a Cultist and a Market Square in hand.  You trash the Cultist.  At this point, there is the on-trash effect of Cultist (draw 3 cards) and the effect of Market Square that triggers when another card is trashed (gain a Gold).  Since they are simultaneous, you choose which to do first.  You can draw 3 cards (Cultist), gain Gold (discarding MS), then draw 5 more cards (Apprentice).  Or you could gain the Gold first, then draw 3, then draw 5.

Apprentice/Feodum is not about things happening at the same time. Talking about that here makes it seem like it was.

Edit: It's not like i personally never get caught up in obscure edge cases when explaining rules, so no offense. I just felt it was necessary to point that out before we have confusion here.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:27:32 pm by Asper »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 04:52:57 pm »

Longer answer:

Apprentice/Feodum is not about things happening at the same time. Talking about that here makes it seem like it was.

Edit: It's not like i personally never get caught up in obscure edge cases when explaining rules, so no offense. I just felt it was necessary to point that out before we have confusion here.

Haha whoooops.  Trains of thought taking unintended routes.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 06:39:58 pm »

All "When you [X]" reactions happen as soon as you [X], thus interrupting the action that triggers them. Multiple such triggers are resolved in an order of your choosing.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.529 seconds with 20 queries.