Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Dominion Fan Card Contest  (Read 50016 times)

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Fan Card Contest
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2011, 06:00:18 am »

Ah yes.

My issue with Roma is that I can't keep what it does in my head. Not even for a few seconds. It does too much and I can't see a unifying idea in it. I'd also echo Thinkaman's objection that it sounds exceptionally weak.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2011, 06:08:40 am »

I do not know if there is a significance to the number 9. I assume $9 was chosen for the cost as it's a reasonable estimate for what such a card should acually cost. It is strictly superior to Bank which is a $7-cost card, and maybe the card designer thought that adding in Monument required more than a $1 price bump, and ended up with a cost of $9. Seems like the most plausible explanation to me.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2011, 06:16:24 am »

You're telling me I voted for -- rather, failed to vote for -- a card written in Comic Sans?! Whyyyyyyyy

I kid. I presume we have a young Dominion card designer, and that's great. It's not like that disturbing incident where Valley Games printed the whole 3rd edition of Die Macher in Comic Sans for no reason.
In Holland we have a (non-official) Comic Sans day on the first weekday of July! It was instantiated by 2 radio DJ's who wanted to give this fun font some special attention. Of course, it's meant as joke (like April Fool's), but a lot of Dutch websites honor this day by displaying their sites in Comic Sans. It's very funny to feel like you're browsing the web 10 years ago. :D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2011, 08:36:26 am »

I just saw a playtester, and told him some other players found Village Riot to be "weak and situational".

Wait... You mean the unstoppable demon machine?

Not the words I would have used, but pretty funny.

Ah okay, I didn't really think of the power of trashing other village riots from the supply. That's interesting then. I do wonder though whether the card is too dangerous, since it's not altogether obvious to any of us here what the card is for.

Thinkaman

• Chancellor
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2011, 08:38:48 am »

I'll stand up and say I STILL think it's situational, and sorta weak. I mean, if villages don't fit into my strategy, I'm really wasting a lot of tempo to buy this, so I probably really won't have that lead to try to end the game with.

I mean... the same applies to (most) villages in general.  The utility of extra actions itself is naturally situation, you have to need it and build around it.  Buying a $4 card you don't want for the bonus it has is not going to put you in the lead very often, no.  I think that's in line with expectations.

At the end of the day for general purpose, that's what it is: a Village with a bonus.  The card archetype is pretty well establish and not unusual.  As far as general utility goes, think of it as a Worker's Village alternative.

As for being situation, I'm still not entirely sure we're on the same page.  Riot-rush is a pretty consistent strategy that wins in a respectable number of turns, enough to consistently beat Big Money and many common mono-card strategies.  Most boards will have a counter or three, but having rock doesn't nullify scissors into being a non-factor.  It just means that people have to consider rock.

Like, if I open Village Riot, it's not uncommon for someone to respond with say Bishop on a board where Bishop might not otherwise be their first choice.  That's interesting!

Having said that, the reason I really don't like the card is that it's most-of-the-time ineffectual, and when it is useful, it degenerates the game in a way. I mean, with remodel and salvager and apprentice, you're really paying a price to get that tempo. With this, you can do it at will.

Your comparisons with the listed cards make me think you are fixated on the Province depletion, which is sort of a red herring--just the minimum utility it brings to all decks: the power to "hammer" in a win.  The $1 "bonus" you get with your Village.

It's similar to how the ability to trash the card with something like chapel for 2VP is a really tiny, token advantage.  Like okay, that's cute and all (I once saw it win a close game that otherwise tied on Provinces) but it's not the central function of the card--just a novel way of using it.

If you were talking about Riot-rush being degenerate, I understand the worry as it was indeed a major design concern.  Rushing strategies and mechanics that enable them are by nature prone to minimal gameplay.  While shorter games will always have potentially fewer decision points, the two really key decisions at work (how many Village Riots to buy, how soon to trash Duchies) do vary non-trivially in response to both the board and player decisions.  A couple playtesters were quite bad at playing the strategy, because they struggled with these choices.  Others, like the guy I ran into, were quite good at it.  I think if you play with it you will find the Rush strategy entertaining, magnitudes less algorithmic than something like Gardens+Workshop.

Edit:
Ah okay, I didn't really think of the power of trashing other village riots from the supply. That's interesting then. I do wonder though whether the card is too dangerous, since it's not altogether obvious to any of us here what the card is for.

Well, I think that guy is a little biased.  He was the one who discovered the full extent that Warehouse synergizes with it, so he had a pretty memorable impression of the potential power level. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:59:09 am by Thinkaman »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2011, 09:46:51 am »

You're telling me I voted for -- rather, failed to vote for -- a card written in Comic Sans?! Whyyyyyyyy

I kid. I presume we have a young Dominion card designer, and that's great. It's not like that disturbing incident where Valley Games printed the whole 3rd edition of Die Macher in Comic Sans for no reason.
In Holland we have a (non-official) Comic Sans day on the first weekday of July! It was instantiated by 2 radio DJ's who wanted to give this fun font some special attention. Of course, it's meant as joke (like April Fool's), but a lot of Dutch websites honor this day by displaying their sites in Comic Sans. It's very funny to feel like you're browsing the web 10 years ago. :D
I'm Comic Sans, asshole

Listen up. I know the shit you’ve been saying behind my back. You think I’m stupid. You think I’m immature. You think I’m a malformed, pathetic excuse for a font. Well think again, nerdhole, because I’m Comic Sans, and I’m the best thing to happen to typography since Johannes fucking Gutenberg.

You don’t like that your coworker used me on that note about stealing her yogurt from the break room fridge? You don’t like that I’m all over your sister-in-law’s blog? You don’t like that I’m on the sign for that new Thai place? You think I’m pedestrian and tacky? Guess the fuck what, Picasso. We don’t all have seventy-three weights of stick-up-my-ass Helvetica sitting on our seventeen-inch MacBook Pros. Sorry the entire world can’t all be done in stark Eurotrash Swiss type. Sorry some people like to have fun. Sorry I’m standing in the way of your minimalist Bauhaus-esque fascist snoozefest. Maybe sometime you should take off your black turtleneck, stop compulsively adjusting your Tumblr theme, and lighten the fuck up for once.

People love me. Why? Because I’m fun. I’m the life of the party. I bring levity to any situation. Need to soften the blow of a harsh message about restroom etiquette? SLAM. There I am. Need to spice up the directions to your graduation party? WHAM. There again. Need to convey your fun-loving, approachable nature on your business’ website? SMACK. Like daffodils in motherfucking spring.

When people need to kick back, have fun, and party, I will be there, unlike your pathetic fonts. While Gotham is at the science fair, I’m banging the prom queen behind the woodshop. While Avenir is practicing the clarinet, I’m shredding “Reign In Blood” on my double-necked Stratocaster. While Univers is refilling his allergy prescriptions, I’m racing my tricked-out, nitrous-laden Honda Civic against Tokyo gangsters who’ll kill me if I don’t cross the finish line first. I am a sans serif Superman and my only kryptonite is pretentious buzzkills like you.

It doesn’t even matter what you think. You know why, jagoff? Cause I’m famous. I am on every major operating system since Microsoft fucking Bob. I’m in your signs. I’m in your browsers. I’m in your instant messengers. I’m not just a font. I am a force of motherfucking nature and I will not rest until every uptight armchair typographer cock-hat like you is surrounded by my lovable, comic-book inspired, sans-serif badassery.

Enough of this bullshit. I’m gonna go get hammered with Papyrus.

lympi

• Salvager
  • You'll never catch me, Copper
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2011, 10:10:02 am »

I am a sans serif Superman and my only kryptonite is pretentious buzzkills like you.

This thread has gone to a weird place.

And I'm all for it, actually.
Then God said, Let there be a Village, and another Village, and another Village, and a Village, and I've got a silver and a copper. I'll buy a Village. -Ousgg on BGG

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2011, 10:21:10 am »

I am on every major operating system since Microsoft fucking Bob.
And with "every major", you mean "every MS"? Can't see you!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2011, 02:12:36 pm »

I am a sans serif Superman and my only kryptonite is pretentious buzzkills like you.

This thread has gone to a weird place.

And I'm all for it, actually.
It will return to normal eventually, I guess.

You can compare any forum topic to a birthday at which people stay too long. Once the evening has come and gone and the night is setting in, most of the information people needed to share has been exchanged so the only topics that remain are the obscure ones.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2011, 08:14:24 pm »

rspeer you missed out my card =[

Oh well.

I came to make a comment on Aphrodite, since most people here are (understandably) missing its point. It's not my card so don't quote me on this, but Aphrodite (Escalator Link) is a joke card (and it has come up on this forum and at BGG before). On the London Underground there are stations called "Monument" and "Bank". They are physically very close together, and as such there is an underground "Escalator Link" between them. That is the point of the card. It's a joke. Don't take it so seriously.

Do you also happen to know if there's a significance to the number 9 at all for the Monument and Bank stations?

None whatsoever. It is, as thisisnotasmile correctly guessed, just my initial estimate of what it should cost.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2011, 08:02:00 pm »

PLEASE make another contest. I WANT MY CARD ON ISOTROPIC!  ;D $10 would also be nice...
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2011, 04:14:32 am »

PLEASE make another contest. I WANT MY CARD ON ISOTROPIC!  ;D $10 would also be nice...
Four things:

1. There is no guarantee that there will be another contest.
2. If there would be, it won't be this quick.
3. If there would be, there would be no guarantee that you could win $10
4. If there would be a contest and you would win, there is certainly no guarantee your card will end up on Isotropic.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2011, 11:47:09 pm »

I'd still like that eternal glory that you were talking about...
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

orson

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2011, 09:46:06 am »

I wanted to check out the Archivist on isotropic, but couldn't find it. Did it get removed? I don't see 'fan-created' as a set option and I tried to request 'Archivist' by name, but it wasn't found.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2011, 02:01:39 pm »

I wanted to check out the Archivist on isotropic, but couldn't find it. Did it get removed? I don't see 'fan-created' as a set option and I tried to request 'Archivist' by name, but it wasn't found.
I think Dougz removed it from Isotropic after a while.
It had been there a good 2 months or something, so it was fun while it lasted.

Maybe he got tired of my PMs about how to integrate it into Isotropic without upsetting other games / rankings / nagging players. :)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 1.912 seconds with 21 queries.