Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Dominion Fan Card Contest  (Read 50019 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Fan Card Contest
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 05:10:50 am »

11 Peddlers Prancing

Someone's been cheating ;)

One of them's a conspirator in disguise.
No, one of them is the card with the blueish back, used for randomly picking the cards.  ;D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 05:30:02 am »

Well, I'm quite impressed that we all managed to come up with such different ideas for cards!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 02:01:34 pm »

The voting is now closed!

Please hold on while I compose a post announcing the winner! How exciting!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 02:36:16 pm »

And the winner is.......Terra with 22 points!

This card was submitted by rinkworks who will receive the $10 gift card from Amazon, so: Congratulations!
As some of you might have guessed, this card was originally called Archivist and was mentioned in his thread A Single Card Engine Card.

The honorable 2nd place finisher is......Glycon with 17 points!

While Terra built up an early lead in the poll, Glycon had a strong finish, but it was not enough to overtake Terra.
Thanks to greatexpectations for submitting this card.
Glycon's original name is Closing Market.

The "bronze is better than silver, but copper is not" 3rd place goes to......Jupiter with 15 points!

Another card with some endgame momentum, but not enough to topple either Glycon or Terra.
Abbey is the name that goober chose for his card.

The entire list reads (pos. card - points - original name - entrant):
1. Terra - 22 - Archivist - rinkworks
2. Glycon - 17 - Closing Market - greatexpectations
3. Jupiter - 15 - Abbey - goober
4. Luna - 14 - Pawnbroker - Fangz
4. Epona - 14 - Artisan's Village - chwhite
6. Roma - 9 - <NONE> - ?
6. Bacchus - 9 - Port - mathguy
6. Quirinus - 9 - King of Thieves - shark_bait
9. Ceres - 8 - Village Riot - Thinkaman
10. Demeter - 6 - Enchanted Garden - jonts26
11. Kratos - 5 - Drums of War - Saucery
11. Pluto - 5 - Inventor - Tydude
13. Nox - 4 - Hostage - gamesou
13. Minerva - 4 - Surveyor - play2draw
15. Iris - 3 - Delirium - Titandrake
15. Osiris - 3  - Lower School Courts - Kimwipe
17. Fortuna - 1 - Swiper - Karrow
18. Aphrodite - 0 - Escalator Link - Jack Rudd
18. Hermes - 0 - Urban Planner - Tejayes
18. Sol - 0 - Chaos Orb - aroth97

So, 3 cards didn't receive a single vote. Aaaaah, but they can't all be winners. Also, a couple of ties, but luckily not for 1st place.

Now, let the dicussion begin! Which cards did you like and why?

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 03:58:12 pm »

Here are a few quick thoughts about each card, as well as why I entered the card I did:

Aphrodite (Escalator Link): This was nothing more than a Monument and a Bank merged together. As well, I thought it was too powerful, even at an exorbitant $9.

Bacchus (Port): I wanted to know whether this meant that when you would draw your next turn's hand, you would instead get 5 VP chips. If so, it's basically like giving up a turn to get an almost-Province that doesn't clog the deck.

Ceres (Village Riot): Speeds up the game if you have the right cards, and could be turned into an endgame 2 VP (net) if you decide to get rid of it. Didn't hate it, didn't quite love it enough.

Demeter (Enchanted Garden): This was my favorite, and it (along with my other votes) barely got any points. Yeah, I'm weird, I guess. Anyway, I've been working on my own ways to make Curses worthwhile, and this seemed like a really good stab at it.

Epona (Artisan's Village): I'm honestly surprised this placed so high. It just seemed so ordinary to me. It would make a good utility card, no doubt about that. However, I just wanted a card that tried something majorly different.

Fortuna (Swiper): Karrow, let it be known that I gave you your only point. Like I said with Epona, I wanted a card that was different and kind of crazy. This is definitely different and VERY crazy.

Glycon (Closing Market): I don't know why I didn't like this card as much as everyone else. Yes, at the beginning of the game, it's a super-cheap market (Aldi?). It's alternate ability also lets you get rid of Closing Market as it inevitably gets wiped out. Still, there were others that I preferred.

Hermes (Urban Planner): Usually, I play to win. Not in this case. Rather than psyche myself up for victory with a card I think is genius, but ends up getting no points, I wanted to design a card that, while probably balanced, would shock me if anyone liked it enough to vote for. I mean, look at this junk! It's a souped-up Woodcrapper that just makes the game longer by preventing Province- or Colony-depletion endings! I wanted to go with a mechanic no one has even thought of before (as far as I know), so I was wondering, "what if a 3-empty game was encouraged?" Then I thought, "screw it, I'll just make it mandatory. People will hate that." I toyed with some other versions of the main effect, like "+2 Cards, +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1; Discard 2 cards." But I've also wanted to see a dedicated +2 Buy card, and thought that would go hand-in-hand with the "3 piles must go" thing. I'll keep working on a card that allows for (instead of requires) an alternate game-ending scenario, though. At least I got my wish of no votes...

Iris (Delirium): ...I've got nothing. Self-imposed sorta-Militia. Yeah. Next.

Jupiter (Abbey): Another card I sort of liked, but not nearly as much as other people, apparently. It's a lot like Nomad Camp, except that it adds the "top of deck" power to a Village instead of a Woodchipper. However, you must trash a card to make it work like so. Definitely some good strategic elements in there, but not enough to wow my novelty-fueled mind.

Kratos (Drums of War): Play a Laboratory, discard a useless card, turn Smithies and the like into broken powerhouses. No thank you, not even at $7.

Luna (Pawnbroker): Another popular card I didn't care for as much. It's a self-replacer that works like a Buy-less half-Salvager. I like the traps it could force, but ultimately, I just gravitated towards the more interesting cards, like...

Minerva (Surveyor): An unpopular card that I voted for? I'm not surprised anymore. Yes, I feel the Duchy-Province powers are a bit too strong, but the rest of it intrigued me. I did want to know whether the set-aside cards were discarded before any reshuffling or not, but I assumed they were.

Nox (Hostage): Another interesting mechanic that, unless the card you want to hold hostage is all gone, could mean aggravation for your opponents. Too much aggravation, that is.

Osiris (Lower School Courts): A Buy-soaker that merely turns Estates into Duchies if you do it the most, eh? Even I found this novelty uninteresting.

Pluto (Inventor): Just seemed too weak and bland to me. An optional Council Room effect just to turn your self-replacer into a Village or a Laboratory? I could see where it could be a more intriguing mechanic, but the effects would have to be more interesting.

Quirinus (King of Thieves): Far too strong at $5 for me. Yes, we all hate Thief because we all play 2p games. That's no excuse to make it a terminal Silver, turn Copper-trashing against the opponent, and raise it a measly $1. Don't get started with that "gap between 4's and 5's" thing, either...

Roma (uh... Roma?): I did like that this card doesn't produce two effects off the back of a multi-type card, and that the Victory-discard effect isn't all that awesome. This was high on my short list, but it didn't quite get a vote from me. Sorry.

Sol (Chaos Orb): At first, I hated it. Then, I understood it's intent -- win by being the loser. With a well-timed +Buy, you can get the last Province, knowing you'll lose, then buy a Chaos Orb to ensure your victory. Then, I disliked it again -- far too swingy for said reason.

Terra (Archivist): While I agree that it's a good card, as it should be for being tested so thoroughly, I could not vote for it. The point of the contest, to me, was that we should have no idea who came up with these cards or for what reason. Since I knew the exact who and why, I felt this cheated the purpose of the contest. Ah, well.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:01:39 pm by Tejayes »

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 05:14:44 pm »

I'd like to offer a few thoughts on some of the submissions which I enjoyed.

Bacchus (Port): Seems much too strong as a duration card. For $5 I basically ensure I get 5 VP chips every time I play this (imagine being able to play multiples) at the cost of my next turn. Not to mention any points you can gain the turn you play it. Interesting concept though. Cards which turn one bonus into a different one.

Demeter (Enchanted Garden): This is my card! I wanted a card to interact with curses in such a way that you want to buy them, not just as a response to cursing attacks. After all, the latter would make the card useless a lot of the time. After I submitted it I realized just how stupidly broken it was. Get 4 of these and all of the sudden curses net you more points than a province. I think it would be much more balanced as 1VP per curse. Also change the reveal effect to a discard effect on the curses so a decent draw engine doesnt turn curses into golds or better.

Epona (Artisan's Village): I like it. Simple but versatile. Sort of like a pawn on steroids. I would think it's probably undercosted, though.

Glycon (Closing Market): I like it. Adds a lot to the metagame, I think. Sort of like an inverse city thing. Feel free to load up on them. But then your opponent can just take a the last few to weaken your deck substantially.

Hermes (Urban Planner): Man, this card really changes the game a lot. I don't know if it's in a good way or bad way.

Quirinus (King of Thieves): An interesting twist of the thief mechanic. It's sort of like Jester for treasure that looks at 2 cards instead of one. I'd say $5 is about the right price.

Terra (Archivist): I really do like the design of this card. Simple, yet effective. The two abilities synergize very well with each other. This certainly belongs in the 'single card engines' thread ... if it was actually a real card.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 05:49:42 pm »

Roma was my card. The original name was "No Name Please Use Placeholder Names" (sorry to those of you who wanted card names shown). I entered because I'm not really one for fan cards so nobody would expect me to enter. I am happy with joint 6th for a card I threw together in 10 minutes.

Fangz

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 06:31:16 pm »

My thoughts:

Aphrodite:
Too complicated. The action effect also seems way too weak.

Bacchus:
This card is very interesting. I actually liked this one quite a bit, but the problem with it is that as a victory strategy it doesn't really help *end* the game. Which might work if you are counting on your opponent bogging down, but that scales badly in multiplayer. (I'm assuming it doesn't affect the normal 5 cards you draw.) It'd be a much less random card if changed to 'you may'.

Ceres:
I liked this one too. It's basically a pure stack depleter. But it seems too specific to certain situations.

Demeter:
Way too powerful.

Epona:
Seems kinda boring? I can see this replacing a number of cards, but I can't really see this card by itself creating any new strategies.

Fortuna:
Anything with a rulebook entry is too complicated.

Glycon:
I didn't really like it. It seems too much of a trap card. The +$1 and buy doesn't really help much in the early game except let you accumulate more of this card, and then your opponent empties the pile on his turn to make your deck crash dramatically. GG. You either get the last big use of it (trashing as you go), or you don't see much use until your opponent runs a megaturn, kicking your arse.

Hermes:
Boooring.

Iris:
So, um, it's a sub-militia? I feel like there's already too many militia type cards already, and I don't think this card will fulfill any role militia doesn't already.

Jupiter:
I like this. It's a village that is possibly not a mistake to get early. I'm not really sure the top decking is as important as it looks, but it might synergise with some other techniques.

Kratos:
Feels like a trap, since you need lots (and it's pricey) to be able to reliably draw it. Unless you have scheme in which case, it's possibly too powerful.

Luna:
My card! Woo.

The idea of Pawnbrokers is to (a) it acts as a weak pseudo-village, protecting against having too many terminals. Since most terminals are $4 or $5, Pawnbrokers gives you the silver effect most of them have, albeit without the attack/whatever effect. So you can get a bit more terminals without cutting your buy power. (b) it offers an alternative source of money for low-treasure or early greening strategies. Duchies become silvers, and Provinces become crazy ubergolds. So it acts as a late game Baron, which doesn't have the early boost but stays useful later and has more of a chance of connecting (and can be played repeatedly). Finally it combos well with tactician and conspirator and minion.

I debated giving it +buy, but I worried that this would make it too strong relative to Oasis.

Minerva:
Quite like Luna, really. The +3 cards on provinces is too strong though, leading probably to some serious snowballing.

Nox:
Argh nooo. I forsee some very, very frustrating games with players Noxing copper or Noxing province at the last minute, or multiplayer games where players literally can't do anything after the first few turns.

Osiris:
This seems kinda silly.

Pluto:
Not really worth picking up unless you are winning hugely already, too snowbally when it is.

Quirinus:
Too similar to Jester.

Roma:
Well, several of these aren't really useful. The action discard is a very very bad explorer, the curse isn't that much better than not having a card in the first place, and so on. It feels like it can hurt you a lot more than it can help you, but I can see this as an interesting, and strategic buy at $4.

Sol:
Gahahaha no.This seems kinda silly.

Pluto:
Not really worth picking up unless you are winning hugely already, too snowbally when it is.

Quirinus:
Too similar to Jester.

Roma:
Well, several of these aren't really useful. The action discard is a very very bad explorer, the curse isn't that much better than not having a card in the first place, and so on. It feels like it can hurt you a lot more than it can help you, but I can see this as an interesting, and strategic buy at $4.

Sol:
Gahahaha no.

Terra:
We've discussed this earlier. The problem is that it only really self-synergises with itself. The best card for this would be non-replacing +$ actions, but most of them are either terminal, or +2 actions. Meaning that generally, this will be no better than watchtower for making engines with, unless you grab a crapload. I still like this card though.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 06:49:13 pm »

Wow, thank you all.  I really wasn't expecting that.

I've really been itching to comment on the various contest entries.  I really think this contest has elicited the best in us, and I hope that Davio will run more (with or without prizes) to keep the flow of great cards going.

Aphrodite - $9
Action - Treasure

If played as an Action: +$2, +1 <VP>.
If played as a Treasure: +$1 for every Treasure you have in play, including this one.

This is strictly a matter of personal taste, but I'm not a fan of Action-Treasure hybrids.  Somehow it seems more natural to pair a playable type with a non-playable type (Treasure/Victory, or Action/Reaction, for example).  That said, I don't have a compelling reason why not to do this.  And if you do do it, I think this kind of approach -- forcing a direct choice between money and VP -- is more interesting to me than having two completely uncorrelated halves.

But I'd want to dial down the power of the card in a big way.  $9 is more expensive than any other kingdom card.  I'm sure there's a way to temper the power of the card while still retaining every bit of its gameplay value.

Bacchus - $6
Action - Duration

If you would draw a Card while Bacchus is in play, instead gain +1 <VP>.

This is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I completely understand all its ramifications.  At first blush, it seems like you'd get +5 VP instead of 5 cards during your clean-up phase.  Then you'd have no next turn.  But maybe drawing your new hand doesn't count?  In that case, some really interesting combo possibilities present themselves that change up the game in a big way.  Its effectiveness would depend a lot on what other kingdom cards are available, but there are enough drawers that it wouldn't be too situational.  (It's also interesting in how it discourages opponents from playing Council Room, Margrave, or Vault.)

But ultimately I just can't imagine the full extent to which it changes up the game, so it's tough to critique this.

Ceres - $4
Action

+1 Card
+2 Actions
Reveal a Card from your hand. Trash a copy of it from the Supply.
----------
When you trash this, gain a Duchy and a Curse.

Normally I'm not a fan of supply-trashers, but here it's interesting that you have to have a copy of it in your hand in order to do it.  That suggests you'd tend to use it when you're rushing a pile, because you're more likely to have copies in your hand and, therefore, more likely to want to deprive your opponents of them.  Still, I think this would be an extremely situational thing to want to do, and I'm not sure I understand the synergy between the supply-trashing, the village piece, and the on-trash piece.

Demeter - $6
Treasure - Victory

When you play this, reveal your hand, +$1 per Curse revealed.
Worth 2VP per Curse in your deck.
----------
When you gain this, gain a Curse.

I voted for this one, despite not being entirely sure it plays.  But I've seen a lot of "VP per Curse" cards, and I've never liked the idea, mostly because they depend on cursers being in the kingdom and/or are too powerful at negating them (which means that your opponent's best strategy is not to curse you, which means that YOUR best strategy is not to buy the "VP per Curse" cards in the first place).

But here's a card that fixes all those problems by changing the way you obtain Curses.  Rather than relying on other players to give them to you, or forcing you to spend whole buys picking them up yourself, there's a curse-gain feature built right in.  Moreover, there's a feature for mitigating the damage those Curses do to your deck.  Your deck is still going to be horrible, but I suspect it will be just strong enough that a Demeter strategy could still work.   It's still, I think, a pretty high-risk strategy, because even though it's somewhat easy to power these up to Provinces and beyond, you'll have a spectacular amount of junk in your hand when you do.

Like I say, I'm not sure if it's perfectly balanced or not, but I'm convinced enough that the idea is sound and the most it needs is a tweak or two.  That's not something I ever thought I'd say about a "VP per Curse" card.

Epona - $4
Action

+2 Actions
Choose one: +1 Card; or +$2; or +1 Buy

I also voted for this card.  I have a soft spot for the simple vanilla cards.  This seems like a nice little Village.  Seems like the +$2 is what you'd choose the majority of the time, and that initially bothered me.  But then I realized that +$1 would probably be too weak, and yet the card would still have to be priced at $4 (as it would remain strictly superior to Village).  I thought about more drastic changes to the list of choices, too, but nothing felt right here.  Ultimately I decided, so what if the three choices aren't all equally powerful or chosen equally as often?

Anyway, great card.

Fortuna - $3
Victory - Reaction - Attack

2VP
----------
When another player plays a Treasure from their hand, you may reveal and pass this from your hand to that player.s hand. If you do, take the Treasure gaining it into your hand preventing it from being played.

This card seems problematic to me in a purely practical sense.  People tend to just lay all their Treasure cards down at once.  This card would require them to wait between playing each one, to give others an opportunity to jump in with a Fortuna reaction.  That would slow the game down pretty badly, both in person and online.  Beyond that, I don't like that it's a targeted attack, and a discretionary one at that, allowing one player to be ganged up on.  But that's a personal choice there, not anything broken about the idea itself.

Glycon - $2
Action

+1 Card
You may trash this Card after playing it.
----------
If there are 0 empty supply piles: +1 Action, +$1, +1 Buy
If there is 1 empty supply pile:  +1 Action, discard 1 Card
If there are 2 or more empty supply piles: discard 1 Card

This one just missed my top three.  To give you an idea of how tough it was for me to narrow down to 3, I think if this had been costed differently, I would have voted for it.  Because I think having a Market for $2 is just too much, even though it may eventually become only one-third of a Warehouse.  But that's the thing:  it might.  Most games (at least pre-Hinterlands) are not three-pilers.  So most of the time this is a $2 Market.

Of course, the very presence of a $2 Market implies a rush on that pile, which in turn implies that it will empty out.  The +Buy on the card itself probably speeds its way to depletion -- although, if you're using these cards only to exhaust the pile and render them useless, what did you rush the pile for in the first place?  It's entirely possible the card works just fine as-is -- that there's a happy medium somewhere, where the optimal strategy for all players is to snap up a few and then stop, thereby requiring anyone interested in emptying the pile to burden themselves with soon-to-be-useless cards.  If that's the case, hey, great.  But I can't help thinking the card would be more reliably interesting at $3, which makes a big difference when +Buys are involved, as they are here.

I could easily be wrong, but that was my thought process.  Love the
self-trashing piece, by the way.

Hermes - $6
Action

+2 Buys
+$3
----------
In games using this, the game only ends when 3 or more supply piles are empty.

Correctly priced, I don't doubt, and interesting in how the +2 Buys helps speed the game toward its forced three-pile ending.  The only thing I worry about is, when the Provinces split 6-2 or worse, forcing the game to a three-pile ending might add 15 minutes of play to a game whose outcome is already determined.

The idea might be fixable if (1) this were a Victory card, thus increasing the odds that a Province deficit could be overcome, and (2) if it helped speed a three-pile ending a little more forcefully, such as (though not necessarily with) a "When you gain this, gain a..." clause.

Iris - $3
Action - Attack

+1 Card
+$2
----------
Each player (including you) with 5 or more cards in hand discards 2 cards.

I think attacks that also hit yourself are definitely worth exploring.  Minion proves that it can be done.  But whereas Minion's self-attack is secretly a benefit, here this actually hits you harder than it does your opponents.  If this is the first card you play from your hand, you have to discard down to a 2-card hand, while everyone else only has to go to 3.  Admittedly, you also get the Woodcutter benefit, but is it enough?  Sometimes, I guess, but if you're playing a winning game, surely your average card value is better than half a Woodcutter.

But I see how in certain combos, this can be awesome.   If you play a Festival first, then one of these, you're immune from the attack while still inflicting it on others.  At that point, the card becomes better than a Militia at a cheaper price.  The problem is that there are not that many non-terminals that also decrease your hand size.  So most of the time, I fear this would be a dead card and would really only come alive on a minority of boards.  Even then, you'd have to rely on drawing it with your enabler in order to make it work.

Jupiter - $4
Action

+1 Card
+2 Actions
----------
When you buy this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, put this on top of your deck.

Seems like a perfectly fine card to me.  It was in my top 5, if I recall correctly.  A Village-with-a-one-time-bonus is a cool idea, and I think this is a fun one.  I'm sure it's balanced as-is.

Kratos - $7
Action

+2 Cards
+1 Action
----------
Discard 1 card. While Kratos is in play, whenever you play an Action card, +1 Action.

Not sure what to make with this one.  It probably works as-is, but I dunno, it seems like an automatic free pass to play whatever actions you want simplifies the gameplay process too much.  You want players to work towards whatever goal they're shooting for, rather than just say "Hey, whenever you have a need, consider it filled."  But I think this is more personal taste talking than any kind of objective criticism.

Luna - $3
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
----------
Discard a card. +$ equal to half its cost in Coins, rounded down.

This card caught my fancy -- sort of discard version of Salvager?  But then I realized you could buy some early Provinces and use this as a cantrip +$4 all you wanted.  True, you'd have to collide them to get the benefit, but (unlike Tournament and Treasure Map, which also rely on collisions for big benefits) they're still perfectly playable and strong anyhow.  Estates turn these into Oracles, and Duchies turn them into hand-shrinking Conspirators.  I'd want this costing $5, and then I'd still worry it was too strong.

But it's an interesting idea, and I'm sure there's some way to balance it.   Maybe it could work as a $2 card if you took the +1 Card off?

Minerva - $4
Action

You may set aside a Victory card from your hand.
If it is an Estate: +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1
If it is a Duchy: +2 Cards, +2 Actions, +$2
If it is a Province: +3 Cards, +3 Actions, +$3
Otherwise, gain an Estate.
Discard the set-aside card during your clean-up phase.

I'm not sure I understand this one.  Why isn't the set-aside card merely discarded?  I guess so it won't get drawn back into your hand if you have a very small deck, but why not allow that?  The main problem isn't that, though, so much as the staggering power spike.  The Estate bonus is fine.  The Duchy one is stupendous, but for colliding this card with a Duchy, maybe you deserve the reward.  But the Province one is game-winning, I'm  sure.  You're all but guaranteeing a Province buy that very turn.  With an outside source of +Buy (which you're likely to draw), you can get a Province and another one of these.  Almost instantly, you've got an unstoppable chain of them, because one Province-reward will very likely lead to another.

I like the idea of a card that cares about colliding with the basic Victory cards, but I think it needs to be more temperate than this.

Nox - $4
Action - Duration

Choose any card from the supply and put it on this Nox card, face up.
During the clean-up phase of your next turn, return it to the supply.
----------
Whenever this Nox card is in play, playing a copy of the card placed on it has no effect.

I like the idea of a moratorium on playing certain cards, but I'm dubious that that this is the best way to do it.  This seems too severe, although I like that it encourages a diverse deck.  Maybe a milder penalty would work?  But it's tough to predict how it will play without actually playing it, especially since I think it will behave very differently from game to game.  For example, a Minion deck would be stopped cold, while a Menagerie deck might not feel it at all.

Osiris - $0
Action

Return this card to the supply. If you do, gain an Osiris token. At the end of the game, if you have the most Osiris tokens, all your Estates are worth 3 VP.

Interesting little subgame here, but I worry that it's too costly to play.  Obtaining a single Osiris token means spending a buy, a card slot, and an action.  In return, you're not guaranteed to get anything at all.  I'd want to make this a non-terminal, maybe even a cantrip, before I'd even consider it.

Pluto - $4
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
----------
You may choose to let each other player draw a card. If you do, choose one: +1 Card, or +1 Action.

I like the versatility, but the penalty is awfully steep.  A $3 price tag might be a good change, but better still might be to compensate for the penalty better by offering more.  With this card, the Laboratory option just means that everybody gets a Laboratory effect, resulting in zero net benefit for you.  The Village option, I suppose, is great when you need it, but you're still giving away a Laboratory effect and only taking a Village effect for yourself.  Basically I'd love it if my opponents bought this.

Quirinus - $5
Action - Attack

+$2
----------
Each other player reveals the top two cards of his deck.  If they reveal any Treasure cards, they trash one that you choose. Either you gain a copy of it or they gain two copies.

I voted for this card.  I think it's basically flawless and perfectly balanced.  I'd probably prefer Jester to this most of the time, because Jester basically never misses.  But this has a couple of advantages over Jester in that it can take a card away from your opponent and sometimes offer a choice of what card to target.  All in all, a good way to merge the attack powers of Jester and Thief, both of which (Thief's weakness as an overall card notwithstanding) are two of the more interesting attacks.

Roma - $5
Action - Attack

Discard a card. Use the first of these options which applies:
If you discarded a Victory card, gain a Victory card with a cost less than that of the discarded card and put it on top of your deck.
If you discarded an Action card, gain a Treasure card with a cost less than or equal to that of the discarded card and put it in your hand.
If you discarded a Treasure card, all other players gain a Curse.
If you discarded a Curse, +1 card and all other players gain a Copper.

There's too much stuff here for me.  It's personal taste, but I like simple cards, and this kind of just feels like a laundry list instead of a single composite.  Also, why the rule against hybrid cards, which are rare enough anyhow?  That said, it's kind of cool to have a mandatory discard that isn't an automatic "discard your weakest card."  It's a good area to build some gameplay into.

Sol - $3
Victory

At the end of the game, count the total number of Sols in all players' decks. If the total is an odd number, multiply each players' Victory Point total by negative one. If the total is an even number, nothing happens.

Tricky.  I think it probably reads better than it plays, though, as it pretty much means that the game will be decided in the final turn of the game, whoever's that happens to be.  That would be pretty frustrating if you lost after building a brilliant and effective engine that clawed your way into an admirable lead.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 07:04:03 pm »

Terra (Archivist): While I agree that it's a good card, as it should be for being tested so thoroughly, I could not vote for it. The point of the contest, to me, was that we should have no idea who came up with these cards or for what reason. Since I knew the exact who and why, I felt this cheated the purpose of the contest. Ah, well.

Totally understand.  By way of explanation, Davio opened this contest the day I was leaving for a vacation out of the country (and offline) and was going to close it the day before I got back.  There was no time to craft a new card, so it was either submit a card people had seen, or sit the contest out.  I sent the card in, called Davio's attention to the earlier thread about it, and let him decide.  If he does another contest (and I hope he will), I'll have a new, unseen card for it.

Terra:
We've discussed this earlier. The problem is that it only really self-synergises with itself. The best card for this would be non-replacing +$ actions, but most of them are either terminal, or +2 actions. Meaning that generally, this will be no better than watchtower for making engines with, unless you grab a crapload. I still like this card though.

Thanks.  You definitely want to grab a crapload, as you would with Minion.  The idea is that multiples will cycle through your deck, letting you play any non-terminal on the way (Villages being particularly nice, because then you can play terminals on the way too), and end the chain with all your best cards (probably terminals and treasure) in hand.

WrathOfGlod

• Navigator
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, 08:55:36 pm »

Bacchus - $6
Action - Duration

I'm pretty sure this is worth infinite points when you play a library.
I would prefer the card if it somehow had a you may clause and gained coins instead of vp (the cost would probably have to change)
You still have to deal with the infinite library.

Fangz

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2011, 09:03:25 pm »

This card caught my fancy -- sort of discard version of Salvager?  But then I realized you could buy some early Provinces and use this as a cantrip +$4 all you wanted.  True, you'd have to collide them to get the benefit, but (unlike Tournament and Treasure Map, which also rely on collisions for big benefits) they're still perfectly playable and strong anyhow.  Estates turn these into Oracles, and Duchies turn them into hand-shrinking Conspirators.  I'd want this costing $5, and then I'd still worry it was too strong.

But it's an interesting idea, and I'm sure there's some way to balance it.   Maybe it could work as a $2 card if you took the +1 Card off?

My sense is that like crossroads, it feels a bit more powerful than it actually is. Drawing this in a deck of coppers or silvers would be pretty bad, and colliding it with estates just turns them into coppers. In a treasure rich deck, most of the time the card doesn't give you much benefit, and in a normal deck the majority of the time the card just replaces one of your cards with a virtual silver and gives you the card you would have gotten anyway. This can be a useful ability, but it doesn't seem greatly dangerous.

You could try and go for a province early, but you need to combine that with good card drawing to make the two collide, and the reward - a gold or another province, depending, is good but not game winning like a followers, and requires some setup. And really, I'm of the school of thought that says that you should price cards at the cheapest they can be without being overpowered, and I think $3 is good because $3 is cheap enough to be not a major tempo hit with +buy (allowing people to buy multiple ones or as auxillary buys), and not priced out of range of people whose engines have crashed and want to use it to try and grab the last province or two. If our judge of whether a card can be allowed to be a $3 is 'would it be too overwhelming if a player gets lots of these', I think people going mass pawnbrokers shouldn't really be overwhelming (drawing multiple pawnbrokers isn't much better than drawing coppers, without support), unless they come up with a very clever strategy . Draw Copper X4, Pawnbrokers, and you'll wish you got a silver instead.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:08:58 pm by Fangz »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 09:34:16 pm »

Well, here we go.

Aphrodite - Too weak. As in, the opportunity cost of losing a Platinum is not worth it. If the cost was lower, I would like it more, but it still feels odd.

Bacchus - It's an interesting idea. I didn't like it because it does not lead towards ending the game. I thought the card applied to the clean-up hand redraw, but if it did not my opinion of it would be a lot better

Ceres - Thought it was a nice take on the "end game accelerant for $4". I don't know how often you'd use the trashing clause though. 2 dead cards is a lot for a net gain of 2 vp. Seems a tad weak, but I still like it a lot.

Demeter - Honestly did not consider that the curses would slow down your deck. Still, I don't know if any card should ramp up as quickly as Demeter does...

Epona - I like it. The way I see it, if it's mostly a Big Money game, you pick this up, use it as a Silver, and then get some free buys if you need them. I suspect the $2 part would get used the most.

Fortuna - Seems terribly swingy and mean, especially towards the tail end of the game. The rulebook killed it for me as well.

Glycon - Close to the top, except I do not think the $2 cost is right. The issue I see with the reverse City mechanic is that if someone rushes Glycon, and you do not, the other player just stops buying at around 5 copies. If you start buying Glycons, you bought them later, get their effect later, and if you run the pile out your deck is as equally clogged as your opponents. If you don't start buying them, you get steamrolled. So, you both buy them, until someone trashes a bunch of them in one turn while running out the pile. I'm likely being overcritical here, I don't think all of what I said is bad, and I really want to like the card. But I've played with $4 Market before, and it speeds you up so much it's silly. Making it cost $2 is worse...

Hermes - Feels right, just underwhelming

Iris - Hey, it's my card! The lesson here is that designing a Militia effect for $3 is pretty hopeless. The +1 Card was meant to help counteract the discard clause by giving more options ala Young Witch, and to make sure the card was not just a Militia for $3. I couldn't push it up to +2 Cards because now it's just a Militia that cycles more. But the main problem is the double opening. I'm not sure how many people considered how evil opening 2 Irises could be. Performing a Militia effect two turns in a row early on has the potential for a very depressing game. And if you open 2 Irises and they don't collide, you have a reasonably high chance of hitting two $5 hands, albeit at the cost of no chance of hitting $6 (admittedly I haven't done the math on this). If opening 2 Irises is overpowered, then unfortunately opening 2 Irises yourself is actually a reasonably good counter, because after you have a 3 card hand, Iris is better than Militia. If the opening is really that bad, then you open 2 Iris, and then never touch it because after that it's just horrid. I'll tinker with the idea a bit, but I'm likely going to shelve this one. (PS: The original idea came from an MTG card, as if I haven't ripped enough ideas off. Now you get to figure out which one :))

Jupiter - This was either close to a vote, or part of the vote. I can't remember. Either way, it has some very nice utility, especially with starting up a +Actions/+Cards engine.

Kratos - Eh, I don't know. There's a bit of a paradox in this card. It's best when you have plenty of actions, but you need to have plenty of Kratos to actually abuse it. If you bought it while building your engine, you already have Village type cards, and if you didn't you have to transition to heavy actions at a somewhat late point in the game.

Luna - Hey, I've seen this mechanic before. I like it a lot, if me designing Jewels didn't give it away. My one complaint is that the forced discard punishes you and gives you some annoying decisions. If you're mostly treasure, only discarding Gold stops you from losing money. If you have an action in hand, you just got +1 Action! Do you discard the action or play it? If you have colliding actions, then I don't know if a card based around having multiple terminals is the best idea. It's good in the opening turns (discard Estate), pretty bad in the mid game (discard what?), and then silly late game (Province discarding ahoy).

Minerva - Duchy and Province effects are just too swingy.

Nox - I don't like it on the grounds that it can shut someone down very hard. See, with Embargo, you don't get a penalty for playing it, and you can still buy the card if you want. Outright stopping any use is just mean, especially if you got an early Gold and shutdown Silver or something.

Osiris - Seems like your opportunity cost is too high for this to be good. Even in a Gardens deck, you're going to want the copper with extra buys because you need all the money you can get if you want to end the game early.

Pluto - So, I can play this as a Lab, and in exchange everyone else gets a free Lab. Unfortunately, too weak.

Quirinus - This was definitely in my vote. The power level seems okay, with the only possible issue being that they actually trash the Gold or Silver. Compared to Jester, that could be game-breaking.

Roma - Hey, I've seen this mechanic before too! I do like how it limits the effect to the first line that is true, which helps get around the potential problem of hybrid cards making it overpowered. But it's too swingy in the late game. Discard Colony, gain Province for free much?

Sol - Well my god, that the swingiest card I've ever seen!

Terra - Liked the card, but didn't vote on the grounds that it was not a new card.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 11:00:44 pm »

My sense is that like crossroads, it feels a bit more powerful than it actually is. . . .

Well, hmmm.  You make a convincing argument.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.  I may want to playtest that one -- if I do, I'll report back.

play2draw

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2011, 11:07:08 pm »

This was a fun contest! Thanks Davio!

Minerva - $4
Action

I'm not sure I understand this one.  Why isn't the set-aside card merely discarded?  I guess so it won't get drawn back into your hand if you have a very small deck, but why not allow that?  The main problem isn't that, though, so much as the staggering power spike.  The Estate bonus is fine.  The Duchy one is stupendous, but for colliding this card with a Duchy, maybe you deserve the reward.  But the Province one is game-winning, I'm  sure.  You're all but guaranteeing a Province buy that very turn.  With an outside source of +Buy (which you're likely to draw), you can get a Province and another one of these.  Almost instantly, you've got an unstoppable chain of them, because one Province-reward will very likely lead to another.

I like the idea of a card that cares about colliding with the basic Victory cards, but I think it needs to be more temperate than this.

The reason for setting the card aside was to prevent a deck that can generate an inane amount of cash from one Province or one Duchy. Also it makes it a little trickier if you're trying to control your reshuffles.

I thought this card had the potential to be stupidly powerful, but here's the reasoning I went through:
  • Estate: Using this card with an Estate makes this card resemble a Peddler. Easy enough. It only works on the condition that it's paired up with an Estate. The Estate bonus is not very good at all as it's just a significantly worse version of Baron.
  • Duchy: Pairing this card with a Duchy looks quite strong. Pretend that you bought a silver instead of a Duchy and this card is the equivalent of one level 2 city. Of course, this is only true if you can get pair it up with a Duchy. If you can't... well... you can always gain an Estate!
  • Province: Pretend the Province is a gold and this card is the equivalent of playing two level 2 Cities... yes, it is very very powerful, and I was quite tempted to change it. My reasoning ultimately came ended on "How much more stupidly powerful is this card than, say, a chain of Wharves?" I concluded that it was only "maybe a bit more powerful" and kept it the way it was for the sake of elegance. :D

Edit: My votes went to (if memory serves me right), Bacchus (because it sounded like a silly and fun strategy, flawed as the card may be), Glycon (because it promotes player interaction in an interesting way), and Terra (because it seems like an all-around useful card).

Also, what if a card like this:
Action - $3
Trash a card from your hand.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:30:34 pm by play2draw »

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2011, 11:48:09 pm »

I'd just want to say that I'm glad i dont have to worry about that card ; it's too similar to tournament to even be considered, and then has the unnecessary duchy bonus and powerlevel issues to boot.

Estate: Equal to tournament
Duchy: pure gravy
Province: Better than most tournament prizes (different so not DIRECTLY comprable...but chaining all 3 tournament prizes together you don't reach +3cards +3actions +3$)

play2draw

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2011, 11:57:28 pm »

Oh, I'm quite aware of how far off the mark I was :P I never said my reasoning when making the card was well-reasoned.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2011, 07:22:59 am »

I have some great news for you, especially Rinkworks!!!

At the start of this competition, I had contacted Dougz (creator of Isotropic) if it would be possible to make the winner of the contest into an Isotropic card.

He responded quite positively and said that he'd maybe do it if the card wasn't too complex.

So yesterday evening I sent him a PM with the winning card asking if it could be implemented and he did it!!!

He said that Donald X. wanted to make sure that players wouldn't stumble onto the new card thinking it was an official Dominion card or some sort of promo, so Dougz made a "fake" expansion called "fan-created" which has exactly 1 card in it (Archivist). You can check the box to include this card for the random draw of automatch cards.

Alternatively, you could enter "Archivist" into the Required Card(s) box and play with it.

Enjoy our little surprise!!!

And many many thanks to Dougz for supporting this contest in this manner!

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2011, 07:27:01 am »

At the start of this competition, I had contacted Dougz (creator of Isotropic) if it would be possible to make the winner of the contest into an Isotropic card.

He responded quite positively and said that he'd maybe do it if the card wasn't too complex.

So yesterday evening I sent him a PM with the winning card asking if it could be implemented and he did it!!!

He said that Donald X. wanted to make sure that players wouldn't stumble onto the new card thinking it was an official Dominion card or some sort of promo, so Dougz made a "fake" expansion called "fan-created" which has exactly 1 card in it (Archivist). You can check the box to include this card for the random draw of automatch cards.

Alternatively, you could enter "Archivist" into the Required Card(s) box and play with it.

Enjoy our little surprise!!!

And many many thanks to Dougz for supporting this contest in this manner!
Wow...

Having said that, I won't be playing with it and I hope that games including it are excluded from rankings.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2011, 07:43:09 am »

The way Dougz has implemented it (quoting from his PM):

• it's part of a fake "set" called "fan-created" that will only be used in an auto-match game if at least one player checks the box for it
  • in manually created games, it is excluded unless specifically requested, or unless a constraint is explicitly set for "set=fan-created" cards

I'm not sure about the ranking, but I'll send him a PM about it.
If you're unsure, you can always play without it.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2011, 07:48:57 am »

The way Dougz has implemented it (quoting from his PM):

• it's part of a fake "set" called "fan-created" that will only be used in an auto-match game if at least one player checks the box for it
  • in manually created games, it is excluded unless specifically requested, or unless a constraint is explicitly set for "set=fan-created" cards

I'm not sure about the ranking, but I'll send him a PM about it.
If you're unsure, you can always play without it.

Can you suggest to him that it is excluded from auto-matches unless ALL players check the box for it? As soon as this turns up in one of my auto-matches, I'm finished with Isotropic.

mathguy

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2011, 09:45:54 am »

Thanks for the positive comments about Bacchus (originally called Port). First of all, yes it would turn your clean-up cards into 5vp. And I did forget about its interaction with watchtower/library/jack-of-all-trades.  :-[

The idea is that the player can sacrifice their next turn for almost a province. If done too early you can cripple your momentum. Playing it also means that you don't help cycle through your deck to play it again quickly.

As for other cards:

Sol (multiply everyone's score by -1, maybe): I liked this card. Way way too random, but who cares? It looks like it would make for some funny end of games. I also like the idea of acquiring all 10 and deciding whether or not to trash one of them. (Probably if you spent the time getting all 10 you want to make sure that there are only 9 around because you probably have a pretty bad deck.)

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2011, 10:07:42 am »

i threw my votes for cards that i felt were creative, balanced, and simple.  there were a bunch of cards i liked, but it is very difficult to meet those three criteria. my votes went to
1. terra
2. jupiter
3. pluto

terra /archivist - i dont really read the variants threads, so i didnt realize that this idea had been out there for a while. still, i think it was the best card out there and i apparently wasn't the only one.

jupiter / abbey - i liked this one.  a slight (though interesting) twist on the classic village format.

pluto / inventor - i admittedly like cards with some player interaction, and i thought this was a new twist.  i think it might be a bit overpriced, but i like the idea.

---

i was also a fan of:

demeter / enchanted gardens - probably my 4th place, i love gardens and the idea of gaining points for curses is great.  balancing the card is tricky though, as jonts26 pointed out. 

hermes / urban planner - i like how the card manipulates the end game condition, but i think it can make for some painful games if someone is getting crushed and then you have to kill piles to make it official.

osiris / lower school courts - making estates more valuable was a neat idea, im just not sure how well this one would work.  you would need to have spare actions, spare buys, and a bunch of estates to make it worthwhile. im not sure that would be worth it, but id consider trying it out.

---

i was also the creator for the glycon / closing market card.  my idea largely came from fools gold and city, creating a card that seems great but is kind of a trap and that would use the opposite of the city mechanic.  i had a really hard time making it balanced, and as many of you have pointed out, it still might not be.  but in the same notion, having a deck full of fully powered cities is ridiculously overpowered card. but to get to that state requires having a majority of the cities and help in emptying piles. the other player has a large degree of control over how useful the card is. 

personally, i was largely interested in the metagaming that would arise from the card. if you go for too many you end up with a deck of garbage. and if you only have 2-3, it doesn't strike me as a huge advantage in your deck, as you are likely using up important early game buys on the card.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2011, 10:18:44 am »

Um.  Wow.  That's pretty sweet.  Thanks, Dougz, for doing that.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2011, 10:50:24 am »

Aphrodite - $9
Action - Treasure

If played as an Action: +$2, +1 <VP>.
If played as a Treasure: +$1 for every Treasure you have in play, including this one.

This was probably a decent card, but as a noob, who is still playing Province games, I really didn't give it a second thought. 9$=Province for me, in just about every single game where I've already collected at least two gold.

Bacchus - $6
Action - Duration

I like this, in boards where card draws can combo easily with action-stackers, it changes the dynamic of the game. A Village/Smithy engine could produce a Province each turn with a little luck, all while keeping your hand lean and full of green. It would need a lot of play testing.

Ceres - $4
Action

+1 Card
+2 Actions
Reveal a Card from your hand. Trash a copy of it from the Supply.
----------
When you trash this, gain a Duchy and a Curse.

I like this a lot and I think I voted for it. I like the idea of a "spiteful" card, where you depleting a pile of a useful card. It could be used, for example to ruin a Gardens deck. It's a way to fight certain card hoarding, while you could - perhaps - pursue another strategy. The trick is, of course, how many do you buy of the card you with to spite? I voted for this one, because I thought it was interesting. I don't think the card's tactics could work effectively (but perhaps it could, I'd need to test it), but it would be fun to try. I had a similar card in mind at one point and might revisit this concept at another time.

Demeter - $6
Treasure - Victory

When you play this, reveal your hand, +$1 per Curse revealed.
Worth 2VP per Curse in your deck.
----------
When you gain this, gain a Curse.

I looked at this and curled my nose at it, when I voted. "Curses are curses, keep them deleterious," I thought. Upon second review though, I think the gimmick is fine, but it sort of turns the world upside down and I wonder if it belongs in an expansion, where lots of things are topsy-turvy. On its own, I don't think I can vote for it, but I see this card as a gateway to a really unique, fun, mind-bending expansion.

Epona - $4
Action

+2 Actions
Choose one: +1 Card; or +$2; or +1 Buy

I like this card, I think I might have voted for it. It's the simplicity of it that I like.

Fortuna - $3
Victory - Reaction - Attack

2VP
----------
When another player plays a Treasure from their hand, you may reveal and pass this from your hand to that player.s hand. If you do, take the Treasure gaining it into your hand preventing it from being played.

Swiping treasure this way seemed interesting, but in the end I decided not to vote for this card. It just creates a weird loop of treasure and VP going back and forth and I worry it would slow the game down tremendously.

Glycon - $2
Action

+1 Card
You may trash this Card after playing it.
----------
If there are 0 empty supply piles: +1 Action, +$1, +1 Buy
If there is 1 empty supply pile:  +1 Action, discard 1 Card
If there are 2 or more empty supply piles: discard 1 Card

Supply-pile effects are just not my thing. I loathe University card, and while this is actually more interesting than University, I couldn't bring myself to vote for it.

Hermes - $6
Action

+2 Buys
+$3
----------
In games using this, the game only ends when 3 or more supply piles are empty.

I didn't vote for this because it brings systemic change to the entire game, which I really just don't like. I like how the card is designed to achieve the very effect it needs to win the game, but I still want the option of winning with a depleted Province pile, because that's Dominion and I'm hard-wired to win that way. I like alternate-win conditions, but not at the expense of removing  a core element of the game.

Iris - $3
Action - Attack

+1 Card
+$2
----------
Each player (including you) with 5 or more cards in hand discards 2 cards.

Intriguing card, it's one of the terminals you have to hold until late in the turn and hope you have a hand that allows you to play it when most of your turn is done. You have to buy it relatively late and cards at 3$ late in the game are a pain, (unless there is a +buy). I think it is a cool concept, but I'd avoid this card like the plague in the first 8-10 turns, picking it up later when I have an engine that allows me to play it when my turn can ensure it gets played with proper timing.

Jupiter - $4
Action

+1 Card
+2 Actions
----------
When you buy this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, put this on top of your deck.

I believe I voted for this card, it's a great village-derivative, so good I'm tempted to pinch the core mechanic.

Kratos - $7
Action

+2 Cards
+1 Action
----------
Discard 1 card. While Kratos is in play, whenever you play an Action card, +1 Action.

It's a bold idea, points for that, but overall I thought it was just too much of a game-warp. It essentially enables terminating cards for the price of a discard. I like the boldness, but found myself thinking it was just too radical an effect to vote for it.

Luna - $3
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
----------
Discard a card. +$ equal to half its cost in Coins, rounded down.

This is cool and I think I voted for this my top card.

Minerva - $4
Action

Some syntax issues here, its a good concept, but the verbiage prevented me from considering it.

Nox - $4
Action - Duration

Choose any card from the supply and put it on this Nox card, face up.
During the clean-up phase of your next turn, return it to the supply.
----------
Whenever this Nox card is in play, playing a copy of the card placed on it has no effect.

It's like embargo, but for the actual playing of a card. You put two actions on the stack, you play Witch, then you play this and put it on Witch, preventing your opponent from cursing your back. It's a great idea, but perhaps it was a tad too radical for me to vote for when I first looked at it.  It's a bit-mean spirited. You tend to know what your players are likely to play. It could KILL a Minion engine, (or any other engine that is wholly reliant on a single card).

Osiris - $0
Action

Return this card to the supply. If you do, gain an Osiris token. At the end of the game, if you have the most Osiris tokens, all your Estates are worth 3 VP.

No. High marks for something unique, the Osiris game doesn't help you 3-pile, which is precisely what you want if you were to play this game in earnest. I think the concept is interesting, but the card needs a little more work to really make it compelling.

Pluto - $4
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
----------
You may choose to let each other player draw a card. If you do, choose one: +1 Card, or +1 Action.

Very cool card, I like this a lot. I see it as over-costed, (it should be worth 3). It's meant to combo with discard attacks I am sure, where you know yo can pair the opponent's hand back down, using Pluto to get you the discard attack, possibly stacking additional actions to maybe even fire two. Would work well with two Militias.

Quirinus - $5
Action - Attack

+$2
----------
Each other player reveals the top two cards of his deck.  If they reveal any Treasure cards, they trash one that you choose. Either you gain a copy of it or they gain two copies.

I had a similar card designed, where you could choose to gain or let your opponent gain, but it wasn't random, (the opponent could decide). I was miffed mostly because this card was put out, before I unveiled this idea, so my reaction, "hey that was my idea, rats!". Of course, neither of us stole the idea, it was more a visceral reaction. I think it might be too strong, it's a super-thief, devastating both early and late in the game, and providing money on the stack along the way.

Roma - $5
Action - Attack

Discard a card. Use the first of these options which applies:
If you discarded a Victory card, gain a Victory card with a cost less than that of the discarded card and put it on top of your deck.
If you discarded an Action card, gain a Treasure card with a cost less than or equal to that of the discarded card and put it in your hand.
If you discarded a Treasure card, all other players gain a Curse.
If you discarded a Curse, +1 card and all other players gain a Copper.

Gainers can be quite the game changer. I like how discarding Actions, can only get you treasures. It makes buying a Province early intriguing, especially if alternate-Victory cards are in the game. It's very versatile and perhaps too versatile.

Sol - $3
Victory

At the end of the game, count the total number of Sols in all players' decks. If the total is an odd number, multiply each players' Victory Point total by negative one. If the total is an even number, nothing happens.

No. I have enough to count in the game, having to count odd/even Sols and getting a VP*-1 penalty is, well, to be frank, a tad obtuse.

Terra - $5
Action

+1 Action
----------
Choose one: Draw until you have 6 cards in hand; or +$1 and discard 1 or more cards from your hand.

The winner! It's an homage to Minion, attempting to balance itself, by allowing a different card draw mechanic, in lieu of a smaller amount of $ on the stack. The discard effect is what makes it work of course, and this is where the skill of the card comes into play. Knowing how many is in the discard pile (or how close you are to reshuffle) probably one of the real keys to firing this off effectively.

I thought it was a bit too much like Minion, but overall it's a really cool card that probably takes a bit of practice to really work effectively. You'd want lots of them, and if both players reach for them, I wonder if you can still pull the engine off.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:57:43 am by ChaosRed »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 3.055 seconds with 21 queries.